Soul Strut 100: # 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

In August 1969 the band, who were then known as Earth, decided to change their name to Black Sabbath. This was because there was another band also known as Earth, and also as homage to the 1963 classic Mario Bava terror film starring Boris Karloff.[3] Around the same time they recorded and distributed a demo version of their eponymous song. In November 1969 they recorded their debut single, "Evil Woman", released in January 1970, and recorded and mixed the remaining seven songs that would appear on their debut album. According to guitarist Tony Iommi, "We just went in the studio and did it in a day, we played our live set and that was it. We actually thought a whole day was quite a long time, then off we went the next day to play for ??20 in Switzerland."[4]

Iommi recalls recording live: "We thought 'We have two days to do it and one of the days is mixing.' So we played live. Ozzy was singing at the same time, we just put him in a separate booth and off we went. We never had a second run of most of the stuff."[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath_(album)

Related Threads

BLACK SABBATH

If you don???t like Black Sabbath???

Black Sabbath

Essential Black Sabbath LPs

Media

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    The influence of this band cannot be overstated.

and this album shreds.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Game changer. Genre creator. And an end-to-end burner.

Favorite flip of stuff from this album? Gotta go with this for the Bill Ward/Geezer spot weld:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The title track scared the FUCK out of me when I first heard it.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    It's awesome to see this on the list! I need the Vertigo pressing.

:goat: :face_melt: :hard_as_fuck:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    One of those albums that I am just thankful was created at all. Can you imagine a world without Black Sabbath, how different would the sound of heavy rock have been? Sends shudders down one's spine.

I had never heard the original version of "Evil Woman" until a couple of years ago, what an idea for a cover!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    This album is like Zeus to the Olympians

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I thought all of the songs on here were original. I was wrong

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Moving up the body of the Soul Strut 100, #76 The Chronic represents the left nut and #75 Black Sabbath the right nut.

Quite a burly pair.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Essential. My drunk 19 year old ass forced a lot of folks, especially hip hop guys, to listen to BTWOS/NIB in the dorm.

Was pleased to replace my shit hammered copy I bought in middle school with a minty vertigo copy I picked up at a record show last year for $20.

Easily one of my favorite LPs... every home should have one.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    basically any record list that has The Chronic and Black Sabbath s/t back to back is okay in my book.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    A record that rightfully deserves to be on this list. Even without Behind The Wall Of Sleep, this record rocks.

• while i've come across a lot of the early sabbath albums over the years, i just happened upon this one a few months ago at some random thrift garage. $1. gotta play it again now.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    i understand the rarity thing between vertigo versus wb but plaese to school on listening experience?

and BTW have always loved this LP

Raj totally agree, as a kid i used to think i must have been bad just to listen to this, intro was so creepy

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Humanacat said:
    i understand the rarity thing between vertigo versus wb but plaese to school on listening experience?

Raj totally agree, as a kid i used to think i must have been bad just to listen to this, intro was so creepy

I dunno if the vertigo really has any more "fi"...but ya get an extra song, a cover of Crow's "Evil Woman"

• Pleasantly surprised to see this on the list. This album is awesome, totally didn't think it was the Strut's thing... but then again who am I to say.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Humanacat said:

I dunno if the vertigo really has any more "fi"...but ya get an extra song, a cover of Crow's "Evil Woman"

Well, you're missing some things with the Vertigo - 'Wicked World'. Also, the two medleys are broken up into separate tracks.

My German Vertigo of Master Of Reality sounds way better than the U.S.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I love this album, but my top Black Sabbath will forever be Master Of Reality That was my formal introduction to the band as a kid, when I went to my uncle's place next door. I shared this story before but... it did its damage, perceived and real. But the first Black Sabbath album: brutal..

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    on the 'scaring me' part.

remember MTV's Closet Classics?
    i remember the video of Paranoid (i know, wrong album) was on once when i was like 9 years old.
    my mom was ironing some clothes and after about a minute of the video she pretty much told me to please change the channel.
    i gladly did.

it's like a tiny crack to hell opened up thru the tv in our otherwise safe suburban iowa living room.

:dead:

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Wow, this is good. I'm listening to this for the first time ever. Maybe I just shoul jetison my fear of the crust.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Wow, this is good. I'm listening to this for the first time ever. Maybe I just shoul jetison my fear of the crust.

I wish that I could experience hearing this record for the first time again. Those moments when a record really peels your head back for the first time are some of the best experiences in life. Haven't had enough of those lately.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    legendary record. lets not forget to mention "the wizard". made me listen and look at the harmonica in a whole new light and dark

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    legendary record. lets not forget to mention "the wizard". made me listen and look at the harmonica in a whole new light and dark

This is a great record, all-time favorite of mine, and I'm glad it's recognized here.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Love this song, but I'm in the PARANOID camp.

- spidey

• This record blew/blows my mind like few things I've heard before or after. Also, this band, along with Slayer and Metallica, caused a whole bunch of kids I grew up with to completely abandon all other genres of music in much the same way that at some point during my most sincere and misguided moments of teenage "representing" I basically only listened to the rap lips. Every time I listen to this record now I totally and instantly understand why the metal heads I knew had such an all-in commitment to their music. Shit is bananas.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    February 13th, almost missed this album's birthday!

somehow seems appropriate that it comes one day before Valentine's Day...

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    note-
    bill's break at the end of behind the wall of sleep-smart free drums !
    geezer's distorted bass intro to NIB-evil !
    solo harmonica in the wizard

another thing i rarely see people talk about - the reverb on ozzy's vocals is truly creepy as fuck thru-out this album.
    then there is the concept of iommi's hand.
    custom fabricated plastic thimbles covered with leather, hitting tuned down steel strings.
    the whole thing is like a stroke of unintended genius.
    many have copied no one has ever come close to the creep factor.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Recorded in a back alley studio in 3 hours for 50 pence!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    kala said:
    note-
    bill's break at the end of behind the wall of sleep-smart free drums !
    geezer's distorted bass intro to NIB-evil !
    solo harmonica in the wizard

another thing i rarely see people talk about - the reverb on ozzy's vocals is truly creepy as fuck thru-out this album.
    then there is the concept of iommi's hand.
    custom fabricated plastic thimbles covered with leather, hitting tuned down steel strings.
    the whole thing is like a stroke of unintended genius.
    many have copied no one has ever come close to the creep factor.

The tone and distortion on Ozzy's vocals on "Wicked World" are unfadable; if I ever was to cover a BS song it would be this and the way he sung it. Just nasty.

Emotion to move Black Sabbath (1970) to top 25

• vocals by beth gibbons of portishead. movie clips taken from mario bava's "black sabbath" (1963)