Soul Strut 100: # 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited January 2018 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Soul Strut Review

The eternal search for this album has finally come to an end thanks to eBay again. Most of Bohannon???s releases I really can???t get into. He had a bad tendency to make very monotonous and long songs. Stop & Go however is the exception. Wah wah guitar marks the beginning of The Stop And Go, but the following Getting To The Other Side is even better with its mid-tempo Funk. The first three tracks are all instrumentals until the female vocals of The Haywood Singers pierce through on the slow groove of Run It On Down Mr. D.J., the dark and moody Save Their Souls, and the oft sampled and comped Singing A Song For My Father. Happiness is a continuation of the song.

Related Threads

bohannon ???stop & go??? appreciation

Media

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    YES. Save their Souls is a melter and one of my early diggin anthems

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i can t say i listen to the first side much
    but side #2 is one of the best sections of vinyl ive come across.
    emotional, deep and personal. soul funk gospel

• i LOVE this record!!! i think i got if off tripledubble

can't wait to get home and blast this!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Was always somewhat of an elusive record for me. It's never been expensive, but you just never really saw it... I guess because it actually is a great record and no-one was letting it go. Finally got mine a few years back - as well as a 45 of Save Their Souls - and I can honestly say that this is one of those records I simply will never part with.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Legendary, but I find myself going to his subsequent, more disco-fied records more often.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Great, soulful record. I've been known to thrown on "Happiness" during the holidays from time to time. And, of course, "Save Their Souls" is one of the all-time greats.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    As close to a solid album as Bohannon ever came and although it took me a while to come round to the whole thing it has some of his best tracks. His discofied Stop and Go from the Too Hot to Hold LP 5 years later is pretty good, too.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i LOVE this record!!! !

Oh man , all killer no filler.

:goat:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

"Stop & Go" is my joint!!! Especially, I like "Save Their Souls" and "Singing a Song for My Mother," which are classic material. The rest of the LP rounds outs well for me too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Legendary

Seriously. It was in my sights from very early on in my collecting years and remember it being a major achievement to find this in the field. I listened to it constantly and still enjoy the whole LP, especially the gospel vibe of tracks like "Save Their Souls" (which has a total "Wade in the Water" thing going on). Fantastic LP!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Took me years to find this. Finally found it 3 years ago in Switzerland for a reasonable price. Great record. And yes, "quite a rare one" in a sense. The "Save their Souls" sample made me buy that Craig Mack Lp instead of Biggie's first album. Go figure.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    RAJ said:

This has always been for me a perfect match with this one for me:

love all of both. I wish there was more stuff like this.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ive still never owned a copy or even listened to this, but i'm really partial to his late 70s/early 80s stuff...not a huge fan of the mid-70s stuff i have of his. ive been meaning to check it out for years...

• i am partial to this version of "happiness":

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    ako, i think i got a sleeveless copy somewhere for you. i'll check on it

• This list is making me thoroughly appreciate the records I already have.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    YES. Save their Souls is a melter

A solid listen and a real fave of mine.

• ROD1ROD1 26 Posts
    must grab this up soon.