what are the essential Miles Davis records?

finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Dude's catalogue is huge an he must have been one of the most prolific musicians ever. The listimg ofl his releases take 3 pages on discogs.
I'm wondering what his most essential records are, beside "bitches brew" and "in a silent way".
Any recommendations?

Comments

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    get 'kind of blue' and 'get up with it' and be done with it.

seriously you're gonna hear like 20 different "essential" miles records in this thread.
    its hard but you gotta boil it down to two. maybe three.

one straight ahead jazz record and one electric one.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    In a silent way is my fave but there are so many.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Phew, hard to make a choice. I like "Around The Corner" for an electric one. Also the orchestral stuff with Gil Evans is so great. "Sketches Of Spain" maybe? Or "Porgy and Bess"? "Kind Of Blue" is also great. Or the OST to "L'asenceur pour l'echaufaud."?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    What's the concensus on this one:

I almost prefer it to the bitches brew album. :bug:

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    essentials
    Kind of Blue
    Relaxin'
    Workin'
    Steamin'
    On the Corner

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Let me add Miles Ahead and Miles Smiles as essentials, so we can get to 20.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    leon said:
    Let me also add.
    Sketches of Spain
    Quiet Nights
    Get Up With It

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Live at the Fillmore

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Miles in the Sky
    Birth of the Cool

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Can we agree that as cult as On The Corner is, it's NOT Essential.

I wouldnt give On The Corner to a martian if they asked for Davis top three albums to take back to Neptune.

I can separate my personal favs for closer examples.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    batmon said:

I wouldnt give On The Corner to a martian if they asked for Davis top three albums to take back to Neptune.

I Absolutely agree. I think On The Corner gets so much attention because of its Corky McCoy artwork on the cover. As far as his electric stuff goes I think Live at The Fillmore is the essential one (besides the obvious Bitches Brew). What's your personal favs?

Sunfade said:
    batmon said:

I Absolutely agree. I think On The Corner gets so much attention because of its Corky McCoy artwork on the cover. As far as his electric stuff goes I think Live at The Fillmore is the essential one (besides the obvious Bitches Brew). What's your personal favs?

I dont think this is about MY personal favs. I think its about boiling down his catalog for someone else.
    While omitting In A Slient Way and Bitches Brew.

Folks who ive spoken with over the years whose taste i respect have said Sketches Of Spain as the ONE.

I dont think there is anything wrong w/ owning Kind Of Blue.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    batmon said:

Dark Magus is my favorite of the live electric jams.

Blue Moods is an overlooked masterpiece from his early period.

Live In Stockholm (2xLp on Swedish Dragon label) is an overlooked gem from his work with Coltrane.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    kind of blue
    relaxin
    silent way
    sketches of spain

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    batmon said:

i gotta agree, not really even a personal fave although the griper in me was quite happy when i finally found it at a record show last year for a cheap price. i mentioned "Miles In The Sky", which seems to be known as a lesser record but a personal fave for me. its kind of pre fusion and has an awesome cover. i also like "Circle in the Round" as it was the first Miles i heard as i kid, i didnt really understand it but knew it was like nothing i'd ever heard before, total private mind garden but i think with Miles thats how it is for everyone.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    My 2 cents

You need at least one Prestige LP...either Smokin', Steamin', or Workin'

You need at least one of the 2nd quintet (Hancock, Williams, Carter, etc) either My Funny Valentine, Live in Tokyo, ESP

Electric-wise either In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew , He Loved Him Madly or Dark Magus

Three from those eras will give you his essential phases

Kind of blue is good, but might seem underwhelming hearing it with 2012 ears for the first time

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    don'y sleep on live evil

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Cosining the sentiment that you could get away with three great sets representing dudes phases.

My 3 would be :

'58 Sessions
    Four & More
    Tutu

I own/have owned about 90% of his (non-bootleg output) and these are the ones I can listen to most. I think "On The Corner" is the turdliest. Unlistenable for me. Mentally he was in a bad way at the time and got nothing from it.

I think "Four & More" with George Coleman instead of Shorter >> any of the Shorter sets. They aren't bad sets, but they do a lot of Shorter tunes and I am... meh on them.

Tutu isn't just a Marcus Miller jam feat. Miles. I think conctractually Miles couldn't put his name to publishing in latter years, but I am sure the input was not all from Miller. I just like the sound on this set and I think the tunes really suit Miles tone.

The_Hook_Up said:
    My 2 cents

You need at least one Prestige LP...either Smokin', Steamin', or Workin'

You need at least one of the 2nd quintet (Hancock, Williams, Carter, etc) either My Funny Valentine, Live in Tokyo, ESP

Electric-wise either In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew , He Loved Him Madly or Dark Magus

Three from those eras will give you his essential phases

Kind of blue is good, but might seem underwhelming hearing it with 2012 ears for the first time

I mean it's either this, or getting like 30 records. I like this.
    And personally, I'm not a fan of the Fillmore set for some reason at all.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    The 2nd quintet just prior to the electric period Miles made my favourite of his music. The album Filles De Kilimanjaro especially.
    Electric period Miles is exhilarating - Dark Magus with that crazy Pete Cosey nosebleed guitar is far out. But the Isle Of Wight set featured in the documentary Another Kind Of Blue is most amazing for me. Gary Bartz, Airto, Chick Corea on ring mod keys and Keith Jarrett for the last time on electric piano.. Dave Holland in a headband and Jack deJohnette grinning throughout.. it's a winner. Groovy and experimental. Think it got issued on vinyl and cd recently too.
    Oh, the Jack Johnson (wicked rock album itself) box set has a beautiful version of 'Konda' on it with lovely Rhodes and guitar.
    Argh. Too much music to sum up in one post.

• I steer clear of the electric stuff (except for Bitches Brew of course)

But I think people are spot one w/ their suggestions (Porgy, Sketches, Kind of Blue, Birth of Cool) with one notable absence
    Someday My Prince Will Come

The personnel are outstanding (John Coltrane, Hank Mobly, Wynton Kelly, Jimmy Cobb, & Paul Chambers). The album is so beautiful through and through. Also that's Davis' wife on the cover...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    Also that's Davis' wife on the cover...

i see another thread coming lol

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    batmon said:

Folks who ive spoken with over the years whose taste i respect have said Sketches Of Spain as the ONE.
    hell to the NO

damms said:
    batmon said:

hell to the NO

It was Billy Hart not me.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    damms said:
    batmon said:

hell to the NO

It was Billy Hart not me.

He must like Gil Evans more than he likes Miles.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    what I've got at the moment, * = essential (IMO of course)

Kind Of Blue*
    Sketches Of Spain*
    Someday My Prince Will Come
    Relaxin'
    Sorcerer*
    In A Silent Way*
    Miles In The Sky
    Bitches Brew*
    Quiet Nights
    Milestones
    Porgy And Bess
    Filles De Kilamanjaro
    Round About Midnight

The rest are lightweight purgatory-status - at some point they'll get deep-filed or deep-sixed, but most of them are happy on the shelves for now. Miles is a really important artist to me and so I have always afforded myself a lot of time to study his shit, let it sink in, decide.

I don't cut for the electric period too tough anymore. Jettisoned Water Babies, Big Fun, and On The Corner years back. Cool if you're just getting hip, limited replay value IMO.

I need a nice copy of Jack Johnson.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    kala said:
    don't sleep on live evil

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I don't cut for the electric period too tough anymore. Jettisoned Water Babies, Big Fun, and On The Corner years back.

Water Babies, IIRC, was actually pre-electric. But people think it was from his rock/funk era because it came out in the mid-70s and has the same funky "streetlife" graphics as In Concert and On The Corner.

Electric or acoustic, I wasn't too knocked out by it.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    My wife and I named our 2 year old son after Miles Davis, so I'm pretty high most of his catalog. There are quite a few albums of his that I consider essential: Birth of Cool, The Prestige Period (all 5 albums are great: Relaxin', Cookin', Steamin', Workin', and Walkin), Kind of Blue, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, and Get Up With It. Also, one of my favorite Miles Davis albums is the soundtrack to the Louis Malle film Ascenseur pour l'??chafaud (Elevator to the Gallows). Highly underrated album.
    Attached files