Post a good starting salary for a college grad

Comments

• Maybe it was discussed, but what kind of business school are we talking about? major university? small college? ITT? Correspondence course?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    If everyone is a plumber, lawyer, or doctor, who is going to design your website, publish books, teach the youth, and make tasty food? Saying.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Thanks. I think it's "ignorant" b/c it doesn't match w/ Faux's worldview. See, if you don't agree w/ him or have a diffenrt opinion you are "ignorant".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    College is a scam. most degre's are worthless. If I were to give someone advice I'd say get a job right out of high school, something like and electical apprenticeship or what not and by the time your friends who went to college graduate you'll be making $40+ an hour. Youy want job security? Learn a trade, they pay very well and as long as there is plumbing and electricity you'll have a job...Either that of go straight through and get an MBA don't forget to join a frat either 'cause thats where you'll make your connect for a good corporate job...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is just ignorance.
    no, it's just the facts of life. Most people aren't gonna be well paid lawyers like you. If you go to college it better be for an MBA, an MD or a Juris Doctorate. MAye a few specialized tech things like engineering. Otherwise it's a f'n waste of your time and money. Liberal Arts degree's aren't worth shit in the job market. Ask anyone who's got one. Learn a trade or get one of the above mentioned degrees. Or get your paper the old fashioned way: inherit it. That real estate route is good too. And I'm dead serious about joining a frat too. "brothers" hook "brothers" up w/ those fast track, well paid corporate jobs.

Again, pure ignorance.

And you sound mad.

There are a million routes to take out there man....Saying a college degree is a waste(whatever it's in) is as stupid as saying an apprenticeship or trade is a waste. They are essentially both ways to get some learning and make a living. Opportunity comes from being open to it and having the right skills when it knocks. Some people have a knack for making opportunities for themselves and others, while some folks are good at sniffing it out. Some don't have a clue and cry foul becuz no one hands them a cush job just for being them!

Facts of life are about a million strong, to oversimplify is to make yourself sound dumb and bitter.

If everyone is a plumber, lawyer, or doctor, who is going to design your website, publish books, teach the youth, and make tasty food? Saying.
    good point. but for all the people giving my kind of advice there are plenty of folks giving the "go to college and get and english degree" advice too, so in the long run it should balance out. I'm just trying to pin point jobs I see as being well paid and secure.

• If everyone is a plumber, lawyer, or doctor, who is going to design your website, publish books, teach the youth, and make tasty food? Saying.
    good point. but for all the people giving my kind of advice there are plenty of folks giving the "go to college and get and english degree" advice too, so in the long run it should balance out. I'm just trying to pin point jobs I see as being well paid and secure.

You need to learn how to get paid. Period. What you do should come from the heart, ie what you want to do, then using your intelligence, drive, and vision, figure out a way to get paid doing that.

Simple hustler 101 shit, but so many folls don't understand it.

wanna elaborate on all the great jobs someone with a BA in Philosophy can get?

I'm just trying to pin point jobs I see as being well paid and secure.

You forgot one:

Saying, it's a great route if you can step up. Lots of opportunity and networking, etc.

You need to learn how to get paid. Period. What you do should come from the heart, ie what you want to do, then using your intelligence, drive, and vision, figure out a way to get paid doing that. Simple hustler 101 shit, but so many folls don't understand it.

TRUTH.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This is just ignorance.
    no, it's just the facts of life. Most people aren't gonna be well paid lawyers like you. If you go to college it better be for an MBA, an MD or a Juris Doctorate. MAye a few specialized tech things like engineering. Otherwise it's a f'n waste of your time and money. Liberal Arts degree's aren't worth shit in the job market. Ask anyone who's got one. Learn a trade or get one of the above mentioned degrees. Or get your paper the old fashioned way: inherit it. That real estate route is good too. And I'm dead serious about joining a frat too. "brothers" hook "brothers" up w/ those fast track, well paid corporate jobs.

Again, pure ignorance.

And you sound mad.

There are a million routes to take out there man....Saying a college degree is a waste(whatever it's in) is as stupid as saying an apprenticeship or trade is a waste. They are essentially both ways to get some learning and make a living. Opportunity comes from being open to it and having the right skills when it knocks. Some people have a knack for making opportunities for themselves and others, while some folks are good at sniffing it out. Some don't have a clue and cry foul becuz no one hands them a cush job just for being them!

Facts of life are about a million strong, to oversimplify is to make yourself sound dumb and bitter.

You seem to have misunderstood me, Chris--I don't think pursuing a trade is a waste at all, having spent plenty of time working alongside tradespeople, but I do think that the "College is a scam; anyone that seeks economic security should pursue a trade instead" worldview is ignorant.

I also think it greatly undervalues what skilled tradespeople do; that method of earning a living is not handed to you on a platter anymore than being an attorney or an architect is, and a lot of people are just not built for it.

Intangibiles.

• Yeah my man does that. What he likes is smoken, drankn, sexn, drivebyn, jackin records and actn a foll. This foll is mad paid, clockin mad dollars plus he got a ton a records. I think everybody must like what he likes cause they be buyin his product. Did I mention he is a rapper.

• wanna elaborate on all the great jobs someone with a BA in Philosophy can get?

ENLIGHTENMENT

Whoever said "great jobs" were guaranteed to any and all college graduates?

That's a very different argument from taking issue with your claim that "college is a scam."

If a person wants to be willfully impractical in choosing a course of study then the career consequences are on that person, rather than on "college".

• wanna elaborate on all the great jobs someone with a BA in Philosophy can get?

Whoever said "great jobs" were guaranteed to any and all college graduates?

That's a very different argument from taking issue with your claim that "college is a scam."

If a person wants to be willfully impractical in choosing a course of study then the career consequences are on that person, rather than on "college".

Right - there are plenty of legit professions that require college in order to get into them. For those people, college is the only course. Now, if you're not sure what you want to do with your life I would still advise college most times because then at least you have a degree to help you once you DO figure it out.

Also, there is a lot more learned in college than "how to get a job".

Oh, my man knows--he is well aware of the other benefits one derives from college, such as potential fraternity membership. ::eyeroll::

Well, I know that our lead programmer here at my job has a BA degree in Philosophy, and I am sure that many lawyers, doctors, and any number of other professionals have that as their under-grad study as well. My point is not that you find a job in your narrow field, but that your education and degree opens you to any number of fields. I was an Art major, and I work in the IS dept here at one of the oldest trade associations in the country. I am not getting rich, but I am making a living, and I get to exert some creativity once in a while, but I am not living off painting or sculpture. I know about 3 classmates of mine who DO, and even they take side gigs and do construction, teach or do any number of things NOT art-related.

The average person needs to concern himself withthe two-fold nature of making a living, making it and enjoying/hating it. It's NEVER all or nothing. I used to work in the temp-to-hire field, and I dealt with people all the time who were desperate to leave their 'dream job' because it wasn't what they thought it was or what it should be. People who made $60k, who were misreable because they weren't making $65k.

Some bits of info to always remember when you are paying dues(which is every day, all day):

Grass is always greener, and jobs are always either hard or boring, or both, even the great ones, at least some of the time.

Nothing is 100% secure, so be on your toes, and do your fucking homework.

Do your work, cover our ass, in that order.

If your job pays for training in something, take it.

If you need a second job, find one.

If you hate what you are doing, find something else to do, but make sure you can TCB while you find something better.

Some people look like they have it all figured out, but the ones you think do probably just know enough to stay ahead of the curve.

Pay your bills on time.[/b]

This is just ignorance.

Again, pure ignorance.

And you sound mad.

You seem to have misunderstood me, Chris--I don't think pursuing a trade is a waste at all, having spent plenty of time working alongside tradespeople, but I do think that the "College is a scam; anyone that seeks economic security should pursue a trade instead" worldview is ignorant.

I also think it greatly undervalues what skilled tradespeople do; that method of earning a living is not handed to you on a platter anymore than being an attorney or an architect is, and a lot of people are just not built for it.

I wasn't talking to you, D. I was referring to whathisname at the top.

LOOK DUDE, i'VE BEEN TO COLLEGE. i KNOW ABOUT ALL THE "GREAT" THINGS IT'LL DO FOR YA. aND i WOULD STILL ADVISE PEOPLE TO CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS AS SERIOUSLY AS THEY DO COLLEGE. fuck, caps lock. If you don't know what you want to do don't go to college. It'll cost you a shit load of money to come out the other end and still not know what you want to do. And I ain't your fuckin man. I DON'T LIKE YOU, jackass. Whoever you are billing all these soulstrut hours to, is gettin' some great value on that dollar...

LOOK DUDE, i'VE BEEN TO COLLEGE. i KNOW ABOUT ALL THE "GREAT" THINGS IT'LL DO FOR YA. aND i WOULD STILL ADVISE PEOPLE TO CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS AS SERIOUSLY AS THEY DO COLLEGE. fuck, caps lock. If you don't know what you want to do don't go to college. It'll cost you a shit load of money to come out the other end and still not know what you want to do. And I ain't your fuckin man. I DON'T LIKE YOU, jackass. Whoever you are billing all these soulstrut hours to, is gettin' some great value on that dollar...

Oh.

You mad?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I would say for joining a field with no experience or connections 30 is average. I got a temp-to-perm job in 2001 (post-bubble) that paid more than that, in an industry I had no experience in, and was raised up to 55 (without trying) in three years. For someone starting out with expertise and significant education in the field 30 is inappropriate, IMO.
    This was all in NYC right? Our boy is not looking for work in NYC from what I've gathered. So, why did you "give it all up" to open a record store?

This was in San Francisco actually, where the economy in late 2001 was fucked. But I'm saying - no experience, no degree in the field, no connection, just walking in off the street and interviewing.

And I left all that shit because all the money in the world don't make you happy if you don't love what you do.

Sorry Johnny, gotta agree with the payscale difference here, even in 2001. A college degree paying job in 2001 in Ohio was paying an average of 25-30K, I have friends there and in SF. Even post internet bubble my friends with degrees were able to get paid, just not like they were getting paid. The bubble was just trimming the fat so to speak of everyone that was in the internet business that shouldn't ahv been.

30K starting off in Ohio is a good salary and would translate to your 55-65K in any other city.

And for real try getting a job out of college with a skillset/trade type degree (nophilosophydgree) that has a base in the coutnry in the deep south. Sorry you will make 30K at the high end. Its all about cost of living ratios around the country. Whether or not you KNOW how to get money, if you want a certain type of job in a certain market you have to be competitive without selling yourself short. Shit 100K per year in Ohio is ballin out of control.

No, I just think you are a conceited know it all and probably an excellent example of why there are so many jokes about sleazy, shiesty lawyers.

I agree with karlito to some extent. if you don't know what you want to do with your degree or don;t ahve a plan, then college most likely isn't for you. better to work at a job or put yourself in position somewhere to work your way up.

Yeh college is an expereince, but so is life in general, so that is a null and void argument.

There are plenty of self made millionaires and businessmen that never went to college, but they also, as Johnny put it, KNEW how to make money. that is a skill not everyone is blessed with.

It really comes down to your own goals. Some people want a coporate or job security and would never step on their own - and I think college would beneift them. Other people that have even the slightest knowledge of how to make a buck on their own most likely can do with out it and make it on their own.

its two different modes of thinking/survival.

Also college can be a good fall back as well in case other ideas/plans you have don't pan out.

You can always go back to school. Like, why do people bug when ball players leave for the pro's b/4 finishing school? You'd be a goddamn idiot not to. Take the opportunity when it comes, school will still be there when whatever you jumped on ends.

• I'M COMIN' AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!

???

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    where the economy in late 2001 was fucked.
    yet a 1,100sqft. bungalow was still $600,000+ hmm...it's pretty well known that SF is and has been one of the most expensive citys to live in for some time, therefore jobs have to pay more, not the case in regular america.

You can read all the cost comparisons you want, but the bottom line is at that time it was hard as hell to find a job, nobody had work, and I still managed to get a job paying over thirty through a friggin temp service.

You can probably equate that to my situation.

I actually have seen a few random temp jobs here and there paying over $30k. Ok, like 2.