covers of Shaft worth checking out.

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I have heard countless and countless versions of Shaft. Mostly coming from high-school bands or those generic 'soundalike' groups (ie: 'the hits from '72!'). And I have yet to hear one that even comes close to be good as the original. Proove me wrong. I am interested in finding a decent cover of this song that has its own uniqueness (hence the point of doing a cover in the first place). Are there any out there?

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I found that local Don Randi and Baked Potato Band record from '75 (the one with the lady in wet t-shirt) yesterday with a cover of shaft. Drums and fuzz guitar throughout.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Ever hear "The In-Crowd," that old Dobie Gray song?

Well, one line from that song kinda answers your question: "...the original is still the greatest..."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Chosen Few's version will convince you that it should have been a reggae tune to start with. It swings like you would not believe.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    The Chosen Few's version will convince you that it should have been a reggae tune to start with. It swings like you would not believe.

yes this is true.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

yes this is true.

i haven't played it in a bit - but the flip is another version of Shaft by i think the Soul Syndicate - also damn fine.

• Enoch Light does a rad cover of shaft with tabla and shit that is awesome and also sweet.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Endeavors "Who! Shaft Where?" is good.

• Joe Bataan has nice cover on the "St. Latin's Day Massacre" LP

"Shaft is one bad...callate la boca"

• Options
    Here's a version of No Name Bar off the soundtrack that Sparrow's band recorded in Toronto. the drummer in that band was

Harriott also did an interesting rendition of "Shaft" in his "Black Moses" 45 which is basically the Shaft tune with some studio technical wizardry (drop out's, etc)

K.

• ooh, i remember a killer shaft on the Randy's funk compilation. was it Big Youth?

i can't stand shaft, but that didn't matter when hearing this version.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I have heard countless and countless versions of Shaft. Mostly coming from high-school bands or those generic 'soundalike' groups (ie: 'the hits from '72!').

Nothing wrong with either.

To a degree.

• Options
    HEre's Black Moses. Got one for $20 is anyone's down. b side has the same rhythm with a funky guitar solo filling in the spaces.

K in Canada.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Sammy Davis Jr.

• Somebody did a nice punky/new wave cover of it...but I can't remember who it was now...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    not a cover but I think son of shaft by the barkays is as good or better then then the orginal.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    The Australian ones are fuckin' horrible....

• idraltidralt 12 Posts
    generation gap has an album where they play the theme from shaft and some other songs...not sure how good the cover of shaft is but I know the album has a madvillain sample on it (family affair)

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this album has a nice one. poorly recorded but i like it. kinda jazzy with use of vibes and wah wah.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I found that local Don Randi and Baked Potato Band record from '75 (the one with the lady in wet t-shirt) yesterday with a cover of shaft. Drums and fuzz guitar throughout.

one of my favorite covers of the track, the fuzz is what makes it.

that album is criminally selpt on (check Ebay)

sold a copy that I had sound clips for for like 4 times the going rate...all it takes is a listen and youre hooked

• Joe Bataan has nice cover on the "St. Latin's Day Massacre" LP

"Shaft is one bad...callate la boca"

That came out on 45 too..

• 101 strings even has a version.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    You can probably find the Ventures 45 of it for cheap, (don't laugh, seriously, I think it's good).

• The Terry Baxter version is HILARIOUS when it gets to the talking part....

• I have a killer version by Cedric Brooks (I think).. it's on a Fat City comp. Best cover I've heard.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    there are tons of Shaft rip offs too. One I really like is on a library LP (Programme Music). The Piet Van Meren or whatever his name is... Fantastic intro...

• I like the version played by bernard purdie .

also the Caesar Frazier recorded a sweet jazzy cover of Ellie's love theme

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this album has a nice one. poorly recorded but i like it. kinda jazzy with use of vibes and wah wah.
    damn! i cant find this, i wanna listen to it

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    generation gap has an album where they play the theme from shaft and some other songs...not sure how good the cover of shaft is but I know the album has a madvillain sample on it (family affair)

That version is ! Can post later if people want to check it out.

• The Terry Baxter version is HILARIOUS when it gets to the talking part....

It's actually pretty good until then. When he starts singing/talking though:

Here's one with a break:

audio...