how many beers you drink @ home on a week night?

13»

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    5 or 6 beers a night is a lot. Also here in Europe.
    12oz beers?

And what is the problem w/ being a drinker? What are the scientific stats on cerosis and shit like that? Is hard stuff worse than beer, is there a difference at all. Can you be a "drinker" and not an "alchoholic"? Most of the stuff I hear says you are an alcoholic if you drink more than 3 drinks in a sitting or if you drink alone. I do both of those ALL the time. My opinion is if you are a fit person & fulfill your responsabilities and obligations then what's the problem w/ having 5 beers a day?

I dont know what 12oz is. Is that a regular can?

If have no problem with being a drinker. I am one myself. But I dont drink every day. I probably drink toomuch even for 'European Standards' whatever those are.

Yeah... What do you consider European Standards?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i drank two six packs this week after not drinking beer for two months

hards are a totally different story though

I'll get a beer at a diner or bar after work once-in-a-while but generally never drink at home. I did, however, grab a 32 of Newcastle (my favorite) last week after work and drank it while listening to music.

• I dont know what 12oz is. Is that a regular can?

12oz is the american pint. Its not really a pint but its the standard size of a beer servied in the US. Its wack because its not really even close to a pint.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Yeah... What do you consider European Standards?
    From what I understand (I could be totoaly wrong here) folks in Europe will have maybe a glass of wine or a beer w/ lunch and then maybe three drinks in an average evening. Whereas, in the US beer at lunch is no where near as common and our general puritanicl bent has made it so that many americans view drinking as some sort of character flaw. here is a cool chart dealing just w/ beer consumption: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/lif_bee_con&int=-1

you can see that while the US is near the top the top 5 countries are European and this just represents beer consumption not wine.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Addictions aren't really defined by quantity of consumption but rather by the consumptions affect on one's life. If drinking is connected to difficulties(legal headaches, bad with the finances, can't perform at work, have trouble building relationships) on the regular then you have a drinking problem. That said I would be surprised to find that someone who is drinking a sixer a day is not in some way having/avoiding problems. Try not drinking for 2 weeks and see what happens. You might be surprised by what you discover.

Peace,
    Yes former addictions counselor, no not in the program.

PS lived in Europe for a year and did not see anyone drinking 5-6 beers on the reg. Mostly, a glass with a meal.

That said I would be surprised to find that someone who is drinking a sixer a day is not in some way having/avoiding problems.
    be surprised then. Lets say a person did have problems that they were having/avoiding though, what would you advocate? counceling? drugs? both? I don't want to sound like a Scientoligist here but I'm not so hot on counceling or prescription drugs like prozac etc. Counceling does a really good job of separating you from your money (maybe even every week for the rest of your life if your'e lucky ) and prescription mood altering drugs do the same as well as make ins. companies rich. Plus they don't do anything about the fact that you are still on drugs, either self medicated or done so by a Dr. my 2 cents.

• Addictions aren't really defined by quantity of consumption but rather by the consumptions affect on one's life. If drinking is connected to difficulties(legal headaches, bad with the finances, can't perform at work, have trouble building relationships) on the regular then you have a drinking problem. That said I would be surprised to find that someone who is drinking a sixer a day is not in some way having/avoiding problems. Try not drinking for 2 weeks and see what happens. You might be surprised by what you discover.

Peace,

PS lived in Europe for a year and did not see anyone drinking 5-6 beers on the reg. Mostly, a glass with a meal.

As a rule Italians only have one drink when they go out. That said if you get a mixed drink in Italy it is strong as shit. Its considered very low brow to have more then 1 or 2 drinks or to drink without food. I know the rest of europe is different, but my point is you can't make general statments about Europe because the culture can vary greatly from country to country.

but my point is you can't make general statments about Europe because the culture can vary greatly from country to country.
    general statments retracted. Who want's to argue about about prozac and counseling w/ me? Come on any takers?

• but my point is you can't make general statments about Europe because the culture can vary greatly from country to country.
    general statments retracted. Who want's to argue about about prozac and counseling w/ me?
    Come on any takers?

don't get me started about Europe and Prozac

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

It has the nickname of "wife beater" if I'm not mistaken.

But what do you expect, it's 600 years old. I could care less cause it tastes good to me.
    It's the same thing with Saporro in Japan too, I think.

Nah, Sapporo beer is really only popular on the Island of Hokkaido where it is brewed in the city of Sapporo. Hokkaido is the most Northern of the four main Japanese islands and is very far from Tokyo. I visited the Sapporo brewery and ate dinner there. It was very nice! They have many different kinds of Sapporo sesonal and limited beers that are not exported to the U.S. Sapporo was the first Japanese beer company to start exporting to the U.S. and that is why it is so popular here. People in Tokyo mainly drink Tokyo made beers like Kirin, Asahi, Suntory and Yebisu. Japanese beer is MUCH better in Japan. If you buy Sapporo, Kirin or Asahi beer here in the states, it was either brewed in Canada or the U.S. Orion beer from Okinawa imports their big bottles of beer directly from Japan to the U.S. that's the only brand that still imports their beer to the states.
    Here is a pic of me in Tokyo this past July getting a cold Kirin out of a beer vending machine late at night. Beer vending machines are cool. They often also have bottles of whiskey and sake!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

4 per night...........6 on thurs.

Addictions aren't really defined by quantity of consumption but rather by the consumptions affect on one's life. If drinking is connected to difficulties(legal headaches, bad with the finances, can't perform at work, have trouble building relationships) on the regular then you have a drinking problem. That said I would be surprised to find that someone who is drinking a sixer a day is not in some way having/avoiding problems. Try not drinking for 2 weeks and see what happens. You might be surprised by what you discover.

Peace,

As a rule Italians only have one drink when they go out. That said if you get a mixed drink in Italy it is strong as shit. Its considered very low brow to have more then 1 or 2 drinks or to drink without food. I know the rest of europe is different, but my point is you can't make general statments about Europe because the culture can vary greatly from country to country.

this is true. being drunk is considered not a good look in Italy.

In the netherlands the (ab)use of alcohol is largely accepted. Getting shitfaced every weekend is no biggie.
    We dont generally drink at lunch, maybe at meetings/lunch. But not a regular lunch.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    hoegaarden, newcastle, and guinness are my shit. i like to have a beer now and again with dinner. my lady, she enjoys stella and the high life, otherwise known as the champagne of beers.

In the netherlands the (ab)use of alcohol is largely accepted. Getting shitfaced every weekend is no biggie.
    We dont generally drink at lunch, maybe at meetings/lunch. But not a regular lunch.
    cool. See I think there is a much bigger problem w/ getting shitfaced every weekend than w/ drinking 5 beers over 4 or 5 hrs. every evening. no judgement here just my opinion...

cool. See I think there is a much bigger problem w/ getting shitfaced every weekend than w/ drinking 5 beers over 4 or 5 hrs. every evening. no judgement here just my opinion...

You're probably right. I really dont know.
    Its just that if I would drink a sixpack a night, I would consider that a lot.
    And become a fat bastard.

And become a fat bastard.
    I don't know how I do it, but I stay svelt! 6'4" 185lbs...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    molson ice/steel reserve, goddamn dudes, you guys have probably killed all your taste buds knocking down those tall boys straight from the can.

brian- give some belgium beers a shot, such as......

I"ve been alcohol free for 2 weeks, just going on a little break. Probably will succumb soon since hockey season is underway.

belgian beers rule! hoegaarden is my favorite.

i don't know why, but i usually drink one budweiser tallboy on a week night while watching baseball. i used to be such a snob when it came to beers and now i think i am just a cheapskate. if i go out during the weeknight, then it'll be stella, red stripe, fat tire, bud in that order. but i rarely go for hoegarden, chimay or delirium these days even though i think they taste better

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    That said I would be surprised to find that someone who is drinking a sixer a day is not in some way having/avoiding problems.
    be surprised then. Lets say a person did have problems that they were having/avoiding though, what would you advocate? counceling? drugs? both? I don't want to sound like a Scientoligist here
    but I'm not so hot on counceling or prescription drugs like prozac etc. Counceling does a really good job of separating you from your money (maybe even every week for the rest of your life if your'e lucky ) and prescription mood altering drugs do the same as well as make ins. companies rich. Plus they don't do anything about the fact that you are still on drugs, either self medicated or done so by a Dr. my 2 cents.

K,

I think you make a good point about medication and concealment. I am in no way an advocate of either. That's why I suggested taking a break from concealment and see what comes up. It might be very interesting and lead a person to look for long-term solutions. I have friends who have successfully used medications like prozac to bridge the gap and find help. But they're not for everyone. I also know that every person has to come to grips with their situation in their own time. Personally, I have had positive experiences with talk therapy (if you can find a good threapist) both as a provider and receiver. A good therapist should be able to work with a client to make things better within a given period of time. I generally frown upon the idea of therapy as a way of life. I want to move on and be healthy.

Peace

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Addictions aren't really defined by quantity of consumption...someone who is drinking a sixer a day is...in some way having/avoiding problems.

I hope you didn't contradict yourself like that in front of your clients? if so, it might explain why you are a former addictions counselor.

We would sing that stupid song
    And every word we sang
    I knew was true
    Are you with me doctor wu
    Are you really just a shadow
    Of the man that I once knew
    Are you crazy are you high
    Or just an ordinary guy
    Have you done all you can do
    Are you with me doctor

Don???t seem right
    I???ve been strung out here all night
    I???ve been waiting for the taste...

• someone recommend something for me to drink tonight thanks

never seen that before, but ill grab it if i find it.

i drink azn beerz all the time so i kinda wanna switch it up

great beer. i love their summer seasonal beer, but it's so hard to come by.

Last night i had 4 beers while playing some records. I had Paulaner Premium Pils...good shit.

i'm a big fan of pilsners, another great one is Brooklyn Pilsner.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Orion beer

Word Chan,

I'll take Yebisu or Orion beer over the other Japanese beers any day.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Orion beer

Word Chan,

I'll take Yebisu or Orion beer over the other Japanese beers any day.

Yuichi! What up tomodachi? Where you been? Have not seen you on the board in a minute.

Okinawa stand up!!!!