POST YOUR F*CKING PET PEEVES

12346»

Comments

• Those revolving doors are scary though. Imagine if your head went in, but your body didn't (or vice-versa).

My pet peeve on public transport is anyone conversing loudly with colleagues. It's always about work. I think: there is a good reason I didn't choose marketing as a career.

• People who get to the top of or bottom of a flight of stairs and then stop.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Siskin said:

My pet peeve on public transport is anyone conversing loudly with colleagues. It's always about work. I think: there is a good reason I didn't choose marketing as a career.

Last year, a loud guy on the morning rush hour bus did a reference check from his cell on someone he had interviewed for a job. He used her full name and identified the job he was interviewing for. People were totally flabbergasted and were staring daggers at him, but he carried on oblivious. That route carries a lot of government workers and my co-worker did an check on her name in the internal phonebook as soon as we got in to warn her (awkward!!), but she wasn't in there.

• bassie said:
    Siskin said:

Last year, a loud guy on the morning rush hour bus did a reference check from his cell on someone he had interviewed for a job. He used her full name and identified the job he was interviewing for. People were totally flabbergasted and were staring daggers at him, but he carried on oblivious. That route carries a lot of government workers and my co-worker did an check on her name in the internal phonebook as soon as we got in to warn her (awkward!!), but she wasn't in there.

There is a pretty notorious one about a partner of a major lawfirm talking about lay-offs, which in big-firm law was (at least at the time) unheard of on an Acela and someone overheard the conversation and tipped off the gossip site Above the Law, and so people at the firm learned about the impending layoffs that way. Big scandal.

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/02/a-funny-thing-happened-on-the-way-to-new-yorkor-pillsbury-associates-brace-yourselves-/

• bassie said:
    Siskin said:

That's why I could never carry an involved conversation on a cell phone while in transit, or in a public place. I'm sure others have mastered it, but I could never do it. If I'm on a crowded train, the extent of my conversation will be: "I'll be there in ten minutes," or something. Never anything more involved than that.

• I hate it when people make an issue out of the word "vinyls". Really? You're life is that good that all you can do is cry about the word "vinyls"? I'm going to start using it to annoy anal retentive people like that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think it might be time for me to retire to a remote island.

I was about to get to work this morning and I saw a girl get hit by a cyclist. It was on both of them. He whipped around his corner at top speed (in a bike lane) and she did not look around her at all and stepped off the curb mid-block. She flipped over the front and landed on her face and tumbled. The cyclist landed on his shoulder and basically came out easy. Her nose is broken, as are her front teeth and her face, arms, legs scraped up and bruised. She is really cute and would not take her hands away from her face ???my face???my face??????. We kept telling her, it???s not that bad, and it really isn???t. I work near hospital row and it happened that one of the people there was a nurse. The nurse asked a few good questions and concentrated on getting in touch with a family member off the girl???s phone. There was another woman there and she bugging the shit out of me. She started feeling the girl???s nose and I asked is she was a doctor ??? No.
    OK ??? So you probably shouldn???t be doing that.
    Also, she kept hugging and holding her. I???m thinking, WTF are you doing? We have no idea if she???s hurt anywhere else and you don???t know this person. She is hurt, not public property. I finally said I think you need to give her some space and she didn???t back off. Whatever.
    Am I projecting? Why did it bug me so much that this woman was crowding this girl? I mean I guess she was being comforting, but it was so untoward.

• street_muzik said:
    I hate it when people make an issue out of the word "vinyls". Really? You're life is that good that all you can do is cry about the word "vinyls"? I'm going to start using it to annoy anal retentive people like that.

This is a pet peeve thread, not a 'what's the biggest issue in my life' thread.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    bassie said:

Am I projecting? Why did it bug me so much that this woman was crowding this girl? I mean I guess she was being comforting, but it was so untoward.

Sometimes people just want to feel like they are helping even though their presence doesn't make much of a difference. I feel really bad about her broken nose and teeth : (. My beautiful friend had some dental damage from a bike accident that took some good time and money to fix. A couple of damaged teeth really detracted from her appearance and I'm glad she got them repaired if even just for vanity.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:

I was about to get to work this morning and I saw a girl get hit by a cyclist. It was on both of them. He whipped around his corner at top speed (in a bike lane) and she did not look around her at all and stepped off the curb mid-block. She flipped over the front and landed on her face and tumbled. The cyclist landed on his shoulder and basically came out easy. Her nose is broken, as are her front teeth and her face, arms, legs scraped up and bruised. She is really cute and would not take her hands away from her face ???my face???my face??????. We kept telling her, it???s not that bad, and it really isn???t. I work near hospital row and it happened that one of the people there was a nurse. The nurse asked a few good questions and concentrated on getting in touch with a family member off the girl???s phone. There was another woman there and she bugging the shit out of me. She started feeling the girl???s nose and I asked is she was a doctor ??? No.
    OK ??? So you probably shouldn???t be doing that.
    Also, she kept hugging and holding her. I???m thinking, WTF are you doing? We have no idea if she???s hurt anywhere else and you don???t know this person. She is hurt, not public property. I finally said I think you need to give her some space and she didn???t back off. Whatever.

U need a hug?

• double

• Horseleech said:
    street_muzik said:
    I hate it when people make an issue out of the word "vinyls". Really? You're life is that good that all you can do is cry about the word "vinyls"? I'm going to start using it to annoy anal retentive people like that.

This is a pet peeve thread, not a 'what's the biggest issue in my life' thread.

But that's MY pet peeve. People who complain about the word "vinyls".

• pickwick33 said:
    bassie said:
    Siskin said:

That's why I could never carry an involved conversation on a cell phone while in transit, or in a public place. I'm sure others have mastered it, but I could never do it. If I'm on a crowded train, the extent of my conversation will be: "I'll be there in ten minutes," or something. Never anything more involved than that.

haha. last night i was sitting in a cafe eating and there was a woman there eating with what looked to be her teenage daughter, but this woman was on the phone the WHOLE time that i was sitting there. I wasn't listening to her conversation, but at one point i couldn't help but overhear her begin a sentence "This is just between you and me but..." and i was sitting there thinking "NO- it's between you, your daughter, me, and everyone else sitting in this cafe too!!" :eyeroll:

as for me, a lot of my pet peeves have to do with the public bus- people who take up 2 or even 3 seats, but also people who just stand there at the front of the bus when they get on, even when there's room to sit towards the back, thus blocking the aisle, and people who stand up in the aisle like 2 stops (or more) before they're getting off, thus blocking the way for people who are getting off at the next stop. GRRR!

my other one is people who won't go around someone who is stopped at a green light waiting to turn left, even when the street is wide enough for them to just go around them and continue straight thru the green light. GRRR!

• people who just stand there at the front of the bus when they get on, even when there???s room to sit towards the back, thus blocking the aisle

i cant stand that shit either.

and when you make a motion to go farther back, towards the empty seats theyre blocking, they look at you helplessly. its as if they were saying: "so you're trying to go to the back? cant be done"

• Controller_7 said:
    Everyone on one of these is an instant asshole. No real exception to the rule. Get a car.

Please stop swerving in and out of lanes, speeding inbetween cars, driving like an asshole, and especially doing wheeelies on the freeway.

The other day some dude pulls up next to me, my wife, and our baby, stares in the window and then lays down on the seat and does a no-handed superman thingy.

1st Thursday of every month for motorcycle night at a pizza joint a few blocks from my spot. You get this.

....................../????/)
    ....................,/??../
    .................../..../
    ............./????/'...'/??????`????
    ........../'/.../..../......./????
    ........('(...??...??.... ??~/'...')
    ..........................'...../
    ..........''............. _.????
    ..........................(

• This place and most of the honkies on it.