Sampler advice, SP 1200 related

undertheradarundertheradar 619 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Hey, I am running a super gritty old set up right now. I have a SP 1200 and a S900. When I picked up these machines, they were really cheap (I paid a total of $700 for both). I am now thinking of selling both to get a MPC 1000 or 2000. I love the sound of the machines but am constantly bummed about the time limitations. I also would like to streamline my set up a little. Bad move? What do you guys think?

Comments

• Not sure if it's a bad move or not, but I would keep that shit. I guess if I had the means, I would be a drum machine collector. Of course if it's a matter of being productive making music, then fuggit, sell that shit and get something that works.

You could get a software sampler triggered with a midi mpc controller and keep the sp1200. Just a suggestion. I used to hate the idea of using software, but if you do it right, you can use the same methods you are used to. Just a couple of cents of mine.

• Hey, I am running a super gritty old set up right now. I have a SP 1200 and a S900. When I picked up these machines, they were really cheap (I paid a total of $700 for both). I am now thinking of selling both to get a MPC 1000 or 2000. I love the sound of the machines but am constantly bummed about the time limitations. I also would like to streamline my set up a little.

Bad move? What do you guys think?

I can't say if it's a bad move or not, I think that depends on what your personal feelings towards the machines are.

But, I would recommend the MPC 1000 over the 2000, because you get all the features of the 2000, plus a USB out to do file dumps, built in audio and SPDIF outs, and a multi-card flash reader all built in for half the price.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I think you should give me your SP as a charitable donation. You can even get a tax writeoff, so everybody wins!

• Buy a 3000. Don't f with the fake shit Akai made after they let go of Roger Linn.

• Buy a 3000. Don't f with the fake shit Akai made after they let go of Roger Linn.

or a 60 with the 3000 upgrade.

or a 60 with the 3000 upgrade.

Huh?, plaese to explain. that sounds like a dashing look.

• In other words, you can upgrade your MPC's (60/60ii) OS/software to that of the MPC 3000. Add that & the SCSI interface & you're set.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/mpc60.shtml

• I would hold onto the sp1200 if i was you, had a lot of gear over the years and have never been as pleased with a piece of kit as I am with that.

Don't know about your location but they are about as common as hens teeth in the UK, anything else is pretty easy to replace.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

"You are now rockin' with the best..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Keep the SP. The sound is ridiculous. If you have a computer with a good soundcard, you could use that to dump your shit onto (freeing more sample time) and you could sequence on it. YOull lose a lil sound quality, but probabaly not to noticeably. Like thes said, avoid the 2000 , it has a dope interface but a thin sound. The 1000 looks cool to me becuase of its portability, but i dont have any real hands on exp. with it other then maybe 10 mins. at Namm.

YOull regret losing the sp. I dont use mine really any more because its slipped into dissrepair, but the way it makes drums sound (and rhodes and bass etc too) is next level.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Like thes said, avoid the 2000 , it has a dope interface but a thin sound.

NO DOUBT. I am so sick of this MPC 2000 it ain't even funny. I've been trying to fool myself for years into thinking that this toy is okay... it is not. If I can't get a 3000 or 60 at a good price I'm just gonna blow the dust offa my daam s-950 in a minute.

I went to a homie's house over the weekend and he had a 3000 (WHATTUP SPESHBOOGS) and man I've been thinking about ever since.

The filters and effects are built in!??!? Oh hell yes. That shit sons my crappy-ass 2000.

I think that's my next purchase (fingers crossed) after pressing some vinyl.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I luh my SP1200. My buddy Sean and I use that and dump sounds from it into the MPC 3000 to sequence.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i sold mine for $1200. i was just using it as an effect, but the s950 does the same thing and costs $200. well, almost the same.

• one word: emax 1 se/hd going price $200.
    same samplerate and bitdepth as the sp, and the filters are variable cutoff with resonance (imagine the SP outputs 1/2 with an actual cutoff rate)

ps: you are welcome.

pps: anyone that thinks the 4000 doesn't snuff out all these machines is tripping. Having a Z-series 96k soundengine that you can record onto while playing back sequences at the same time is indeed the shit.
    Don't get me wrong... all the Linn converters have some kind of real magic, but if you are just using them to dirty up your sound, there are a million other things that can do that just as well (shit man, for that matter check out Kontakt's bit cruncher at 22k and you will shit your pants at how SP it sounds) and in a much more musical way as you don't have the 2.5 second limit.

I dunno. I would say the biggest difference to the "feel" of beats made on drummachine samplers is the fact that the sequencer is tied directly to the sampler, instead of having the minute phaze cancellations that are sometimes inaudibly felt in beats made in the midi-syncd environment (read: any sampler that is triggered via midi)

Anyways, Im probably full of shit.

• one word: emax 1 se/hd going price $200.
    same samplerate and bitdepth as the sp, and the filters are variable cutoff with resonance (imagine the SP outputs 1/2 with an actual cutoff rate)

ps: you are welcome.

----
    Anyways, Im probably full of shit.

Naah you aint full of shit homie!
    You told them bout the Emax!
    Dope rack sampler.
    Secret menus & shit hidden within the OS.
    I bought mine for $95.00 !
    Fuck, I don't even recall why I sold mine. Oh well.

Another runner up rack sampler, Prophet 2002.
    Theres a bunch of other old school rack jammies which can be had for dirt cheap.
    I started out with a Korg DSM-1 & Casio RZ-1.
    Fuck I love these things.

Far as drum machines go though, I'm still a diehard 3000 dude.
    Best machine EVAR in my opinion.
    `Resampling` thru various other samplers pretty much gives any add'l grit needed.

Guess it all boils down to pretty much whatever you're comfy/happy with.
    In the end, its how you use what you got.

what up King Most, your 2000 sounded fine here meng, that beat was dope.
    I'ma hit you up some day to transfer some old 2000 shit I got laying around somehwere.

• Like thes said, avoid the 2000 , it has a dope interface but a thin sound.

NO DOUBT. I am so sick of this MPC 2000 it ain't even funny. I've been trying to fool myself for years into thinking that this toy is okay... it is not. If I can't get a 3000 or 60 at a good price I'm just gonna blow the dust offa my daam s-950 in a minute.

YO PHIL,DOES THE 2000 CRASH ON YOU ALOT?OR ARE YOU JUST TIRED OF THE SOUND?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Casio RZ-1.
    Fuck I love these things.

YES

i dont use mine too often these days (sicne i ripped all the sounds) but this is one peace of gear that every time i turn it on i make a cool ass track out of it.. the sample is freakin hilarious... you want grit???? bangin beats for daaaaays.

you want a cheap poor mans sp1200 get an akai s20... mine sadly doesnt power up any more

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    ALL HAIL 3000

I just dumped my 2000xl after being pissed for weeks due to famous missing lines in the display.

My new 3k it gooooodd. Those filters are just dope! The echo mixer is kinda ill too...

I wish I could get a sp to fuck wit aswell, but I guess the ASR is my next purchase.

Word on the emax, its a secret SP for those who don't need the seq and faders...

The secret EMU RUN screen will make all your lame beats sound like pure fire.

believe me mayyneeeee

• "You are now rockin' with the best..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Most unproffesional machine ever designed.

No built in time clock (and thus no MTC) ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

This machine is always quoted as the best and most versatile Sampler/Synth ever build. Anyone who's using the sequencer though should reconsider their intelligence
    A sequencer w/ 8 tracks...pffff howabout mpc 99tracks? MTC? MC? MMC? YESMPC
    Best of both worlds

• Not a great deal to add. Apart from to say that after having used reason and various software / sequencers, I finally got my SP1200 and S950 a few years ago. I never look back.

The punch and weight of the SP for drums is kinda a unique quality. Certainly the 2000 which I also have, can't deliver the same punch.

The only thing that's going to come close to that sound is the MPC60 or 60II - if you love your grit and grime, you'd be a fool to give up those machines for more sampling time.

As others have already said, add a computer with pro tools and use it to multitrack your SP compositions. sampling time no longer an issue.

peace.

• As others have already said, add a computer with pro tools and use it to multitrack your SP compositions. sampling time no longer an issue.

peace.

If you can't afford a computer to multitrack you can get one of these.

Fostex VF80EX 8-Track Recorder with CD Burner

Its only like $599 and you can mix and burn CD's. Obviously not studio quality, but its easy to use and not very expensive.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

This machine is always quoted as the best and most versatile Sampler/Synth ever build. Anyone who's using the sequencer though should reconsider their intelligence
    A sequencer w/ 8 tracks...pffff howabout mpc 99tracks? MTC? MC? MMC? YESMPC
    Best of both worlds
    Damn Hatters!! ASR-10 all fuckin' day!!

Like thes said, avoid the 2000 , it has a dope interface but a thin sound.

YO PHIL,DOES THE 2000 CRASH ON YOU ALOT?OR ARE YOU JUST TIRED OF THE SOUND?

It's the sound. Waaaaay too damn thin. I was just listening to some old sh*t I did with the 950 and I'd forgotten how much fuller the sound is than the 2000. The drums are just much thicker coming out of the 950.
    When I first got the MPC 2000 I noticed that it made the drums sound all plastic and sh*t, but everybody was saying that this was the new industry standard, so I bought into the hype. I did like the stereo samples and the ease of use.... it had a lot of features that I didn't have with my former set up, so I went along with it and just got used to the clean, sterilized, thin sound. I've finally woken up out of my coma, though. I want me a 3000, the haell with this suck ass 2000.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    ---------------------------

BTW, is any familiar with the Akai S5000 samplers? How would you say the sound compares to the MPC2000 and 3000? I actually have a 5000 that i got for cheap not too long ago, but I haven't had the time to work it out yet (and probably won't be able to mess with it for awhile longer).

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i got one of those phill. i dont like it. im selling it.

i got one of those phill. i dont like it. im selling it.

What do you not like about it, mesh? The sound or the fuctionality? I know I was trying to figure out the basics when I first got it and it was nowhere nearly as easy to use as any of the other equipment I've had. Since then I just haven't been able to get back into it. I'm sure with time I could get used to it, but it's always better when the creative experience can be fun and easy to get into IMO.