Oh Boy...Here Comes Homeboy w/ the Portable

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited September 2005 in Record Collecting
theres just something that irks me when im diggin and someone comes wandering over with their portable record player and starts settling in with a big stack of records. all in the way n shit. maybe im just jealous cause i blindly spend $30-50, and take a chance.opinions on portables for diggin?

Comments

• I cant stand em at fleas. They take up a few boxes worth of space, grab 100s of records, then leave the refuse on the ground.

• theres just something that irks me when im diggin and someone comes wandering over with their portable record player and starts settling in with a big stack of records. all in the way n shit. maybe im just jealous cause i blindly spend $30-50, and take a chance.

opinions on portables for diggin?

maybe your just jealous

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    theres just something that irks me when im diggin and someone comes wandering over with their portable record player and starts settling in with a big stack of records. all in the way n shit. maybe im just jealous cause i blindly spend $30-50, and take a chance.

Dude, this thread pops up once a month I feel like. The simple answer = you're just jealous.

If you're spending that kind of loot blindly, why not spend $100 for a portable?

• theres just something that irks me when im diggin and someone comes wandering over with their portable record player and starts settling in with a big stack of records. all in the way n shit. maybe im just jealous cause i blindly spend $30-50, and take a chance.

Dude, this thread pops up once a month I feel like. The simple answer = you're just jealous.

If you're spending that kind of loot blindly, why not spend $100 for a portable?

And that right there should be the official end of this thread!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    theres just something that irks me when im diggin and someone comes wandering over with their portable record player and starts settling in with a big stack of records. all in the way n shit. maybe im just jealous cause i blindly spend $30-50, and take a chance.

If you're spending that kind of loot blindly, why not spend $100 for a portable? $30 on a big bird?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Portables should be used on expensive records. People using portables on dollar records are

Really, all it does is scream "I'm a fool...come take advantage of my lack of knowledge"

Honestly. If I see anyone with a portable around dollar records I usually walk up and say "Interested in buying any breaks?"

...and a few hundred dollars later I've managed to rid myself of Beck and Bob James. Don't be mad at it, use it to your advantage. I'm not kidding

lol

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I'd say even worse is stores that dont let you use a portable...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I don't see what's so terrible about trying to maintain a minimum amount of control in one's own store. A store owner has NO WAY of knowing if random portable dude takes care of his needle, what kind of care people take, etc. Shit, stores take a chance having their own listening stations....people seriously don't know how to act.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Portables suck.

• oh boy.... here we go again.....

but, seriously, what can you really tell about a record other than the superficial by needle-dropping on a portable. All records sound pretty shitty on them.

• what can you really tell about a record other than the superficial by playing needle-dropping on a portable

looking for breaks is superficial

what can you really tell about a record other than the superficial by playing needle-dropping on a portable

looking for breaks is superficial

you said it, not me!

• So when you buy 10 records and 9 of them sucked, you basically bought a 1 dollar record for 10 dollars. Then what do you do with the other 9? through them away?

i can see using them on 45s or ina warehouse/basement /where there are large quantities of unknown and when you know you will be there all day in one spot.
    but for just buying on the fly ,fuck that

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't see what's so terrible about trying to maintain a minimum amount of control in one's own store. A store owner has NO WAY of knowing if random portable dude takes care of his needle, what kind of care people take, etc. Shit, stores take a chance having their own listening stations....people seriously don't know how to act.

I agree absolutely. Hell, if I ran a record store, I'd probably keep the turntable behind the counter--otherwise, while you may be able to insure that you have a fresh needle, you have no way of preventing these poptarts from dragging that needle across the surface of the record or doing other dumb schitt.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    All records sound pretty shitty on them.

A little harsh, but it's the truth. You need to be able to hear all that stuff sitting in front of you so you know what you need to research more, and what is just not worth grabbing again. Portables are VERY important.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

A little harsh, but it's the truth. You need to be able to hear all that stuff sitting in front of you so you know what you need to research more, and what is just not worth grabbing again. Portables are VERY important.

The ironic thing for me, is that it would ONLY be worthwhile at a Flea, and that's precisely where it would get in my way, one more thing to lug around. I would have to have one given to me, and I would still probably never use it. I am just not patient enough....

• I'm quite happy to be homeboy with the portable everywhere I go, scooping the goodies and leaving all the shitty records. But the real fun part is when the portable hatters pick up said shitty records and complain about them (and me) on Soulstrut that evening. As far as I can tell, these posts are usually made while I'm out making money DJing with the aforementioned goodies and enjoying free beer.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm quite happy to be homeboy with the portable everywhere I go, scooping the goodies and leaving all the shitty records.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    The problem is when fools are just stupid about portables. There is a little small town antique spot I used to go to all the time. They had a small selection like 250 records ...but good records the owner would rotate records from storage once a month in the place so every month he would replace what was left with a fresh batch. One day some kid is in there with a portable and 1/3 (I am not over exagerating.)of the stock from this store at his feet (and his girlfriend standing there like guarding or something). After browsing what was in the bins I went over to dudes stack at his feet and he was like "Uhm I'm gonna listen to those." I looked at dude and just continued to go through his shit. I ended up buying shit out of dudes pile. I had been hitting this spot for years and some kid is gonna try and do that funk that! In a small town it's every man for them self. One or two records at atime is cool but like 100 I hate to use the word etiquette but damn!

• I find that speed is necessary at fleas, swaps, sales, etc. So yes a portable gets in the way. I hate lugging that shit around, plus it does look truly cornish... BUT yes I see a point as well. I can't really be bothered most times though. I have one, it has its uses, but it usually collects dust because i rarely run into anything that I just NEED to ear check before buying.

Sunday I bought a grip of 12"s I had never heard, and a number of LPs as well. If you know what you're doing (and I don't always) it's pretty easy to bat a high percentage while taking chances.

That said NO FUCKING PORTABLES in my shop. And yes people are insane and don't know how to handle records. And yes I will yell at you. But you can't not have a listening station in this day and age.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    portables are for cheaters...

if the record is $1..just buy it you cheap bastard

if the record is $100..do you really think Mr. record store owner wants your fisher price needle on it...how arrrogant of you

you look corny walking in the store carrying a toy

you're in the fucking way with your toy

listening stations are a convenience provided by the store owner....if the owner does not provide a listening station...you should not even have the right to ask if it is o.k. to listen to his records on your traveling listening station.....you are now being disrespectful and arrogant...record stores are not libraries ....

if a clothing store does not have a dressing room you can't just try on clothes in the corner !!!

• if a clothing store does not have a dressing room you can't just try on clothes in the corner !!!

oops

• Really I see It as a funny thing If you use your portable to check 50 cent and dollar records but bringing it when you dig is dope why use your hands when you can use a shovel(portable)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    portables are for cheaters...

if the record is $1..just buy it you cheap bastard

if the record is $100..do you really think Mr. record store owner wants your fisher price needle on it...how arrrogant of you

you look corny walking in the store carrying a toy

you're in the fucking way with your toy

listening stations are a convenience provided by the store owner....if the owner does not provide a listening station...you should not even have the right to ask if it is o.k. to listen to his records on your traveling listening station.....you are now being disrespectful and arrogant...record stores are not libraries ....

if a clothing store does not have a dressing room you can't just try on clothes in the corner !!!

I feel like we've just gotten a glipse of Ed in parent mode.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

oops

ayo?

• i can see using them on 45s or ina warehouse/basement /where there are large quantities of unknown and when you know you will be there all day in one spot.

• fuck what i look like, lemme make this hot beat out of this hot loop off this dollar record that i came up on using my toy, thats whats up.