White comics, race humour...

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Ok, after watching those videos of "The Amazing Racist", I got to thinking.

First off, those videos were fucking disgusting. That dude does deserve a beat down. You can come at race from a certain angle, and be funny... this dude was nowhere close.

So when can whites make fun of race or racism, and do it in a wholesome way? Incidently, I just got the 4th Season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and watched it almost directly after viewing these clips.

Larry David comes correct with the race humour, IMO... Anyone see that shit? The shit is full of race jokes, most of it hinging on white guilt, or flat out ignorance (albeit of a more innocent nature).

Looking at Muggsy Bogues penis at a urinal to see if it's true what they say about black guys... asking a well dressed black fellow to valet his car... buying a bi-racial doll for a baby shower... and proudly announcing as they open it "It's a mulatto!"... locking his car door door as he is walking into a building, as a black dude is walking out, "What the fuck, you think I'm gonna steal it?!".

Any other examples of good white comics who can pull it off? And what makes it funny? Just the obvious lack of hatefulness? Innocent joking and observation of reeal stereotypes?

Anyhow, on a side note, anyone else with me on the genius of Curb Your Enthusiasm? If you ain't in to the shit, you need to watch it.

By the way, not just race humour, shit about terroists, Islam, 9-11, gays, the handicapped... And it all seems to be done in a warm-hearted, lovable way.

Peace...
FNM

Comments

• Im with you on Curb. Dont forget the mentally handicapped on L David's list. Sarah Silverman has some good racist material.

I think the problem a lot of us are having with those videos is that they are exploitive. Namely that this guy is getting his shine by exploiting people who for whatever reason will sign away their rights. It felt like watching bangbus or something. I still remember a friend showing me that for the first time like for or five years ago. It was revolting.

Whats also strange is that this guy is a jew and all the real racists who are getting a kick out of it should be really just be offended that a jew is making them laugh. I guess that is the only way is his videos are "ironic."

• All four of the main stars of Seinfeld had plotlines revolving around racial ignorance, and it never came off as offensive - to me, anyway. Elaine was wondering whether the guy she was dating was black or white; Kramer bought a tanning lamp so his black girlfriend's parents would think he was African-American; George imposes himself on a black family when someone accuses him of not having enough black friends; and Seinfeld himself kept putting his foot in his mouth everytime he tried to impress a Native American woman. It's probably no coincidence that Larry David was probably still writing for the show when these episodes aired.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    All four of the main stars of Seinfeld
    George imposes himself on a black family when someone accuses him of not having enough black friends;

nope. he did that when he needed to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's.

He called up a black exterminator that Jerry hired years ago to pose as an old friend. This was after he said a colleague looked like Sugar ray and came off as racist.

• All four of the main stars of Seinfeld had plotlines revolving around racial ignorance, and it never came off as offensive - to me, anyway. Elaine was wondering whether the guy she was dating was black or white; Kramer bought a tanning lamp so his black girlfriend's parents would think he was African-American; George imposes himself on a black family when someone accuses him of not having enough black friends; and Seinfeld himself kept putting his foot in his mouth everytime he tried to impress a Native American woman. It's probably no coincidence that Larry David was probably still writing for the show when these episodes aired.

Don't forget Donna Chang(stein).

'It's not racist if I like their race....'

• the genius of Curb Your Enthusiasm!!!!

One of the few non-animated television shows I can stomach. One of the funniest shows to come around in years. I refuse to buy cable television so I nab the box sets when they come out and have a weeklong insane laugh fest. Good stuff. And I agree with you, his handling of issues of race, gender, the handicapped, etc. is handled more at mocking his prejudices and destroying them than fortifying already in-place stereotypes. It usually ends with some sort of karmic kick in the ass as a result of his pre-judgement.

The crazy Crazy Eyez Killa episode is probably the only time I haven't cringed when I heard a white guy say "my nigga". Especially when he followed up with "Are you my caucasion?". Hilarious.

SONIC

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I think a lot of things are contextual too. Look at the Friar's Roast...these roasts are all about going for the comedic jugular, and racial stereotypes are open season as much as fat jokes and straight personal attacks, but it's all done in sincere admiration. I think in that context, where everyone is a participant (and there is an accepted level of respect for each other as a given), that really off-putting stuff that is in completely bad taste can be HILARIOUS.

But I have the same problem with The Amazing Racist that I have with certain elements of Jackass and shows like that. It makes people UNWITTING participants, and establishes a power trip for folks with a camera and gives them carte blanche to do or say anything to get a reaction. I enjoy guys punching each other in the nuts as much as the next dude(AYO), but that's funny because they are inflicting it on each other. When random people are used as guinea pigs for amusement,I tune out.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    larry david is a genius

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    You guys dont like bangbus?

racists.

• You guys dont like bangbus?

racists.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    as much as i like silverman in small doses, i think her ironic racism shtick that's she's been playing out for years crosses the line more often than it should.

Louis Ck is the first comic who comes to mind when dealing with race comfortably. also vernon chatman is usually on point when the subject shows up with wonder showzen (common thread - both wrote for chris rock, which i'm sure did wonders for refining their approach to the topic)

birdman re: roasts danson in blackface at the whoopi roast was cool then?