Start of the week Digs

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    it's hard to grasp what a stone mint copy of this might be doing in the big band section of an indoor antique market's stall in montgomery

Meanwhile... I was digging through an indoor flea market's stall in the middle of VA. Pulled a $40 Screamin' Jay Hawkins on Philips, a completely trashed Lou Donaldson EVERYTHING I PLAY IS FUNKY for $15, and several Herbie Manns (with the wrong record in the sleeve) for $5. Did I mention I got to hear a lot of nice MODERN GOSPEL while I was digging? I passed on those, however, and picked up a $12 copy of THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND 2-DVD set instead. Outside, the digging was even better. I found a promo Frankie J 12" (HI H*RM) but put it back because it was a bit too steep at a full one dollar. Needless to say, I was 100% powerballin this weekend.

Nice finds A*i.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    started the week out by headin down to Holly Springs, Missisippi to Aieki Pro's Record(s) shop with shingaling and Daniel. Hard to explain the condition of this place..so here is a little photo diary

first here are some of the fine decorations in the store(how fucking ill is that "Kesha Wright" poster?

here is the widest walkway in the place... eight inches wide, maybe

the organization is second to none..really, all the records are alphabetized, believe it or not

shingaling sampling the goods

it got hot as fuck in there after a couple hours...here is me sweaty and apparently in some sort of pain

a few scans of some stuff I copped

finally here is Daniel, the owner Mr. Caldwell, myself and shingaling being blinded by the sun

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Ari is like on some short stop "Indy, Indy! Don't Eat the Monkey Brains or the Man will Eat your heart!"

LOL on this one and a big cosign. Ari is indeed that dood. He braves many yokels and southern voodoolands. Props!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Cool pics. That place looks crazy!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Cool pics. That place looks crazy!

yeah! where are the record shops like this in CA?

Oh yeah, I think hookup & I have the same barber!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Ari is like on some short stop "Indy, Indy! Don't Eat the Monkey Brains or the Man will Eat your heart!"

LOL on this one and a big cosign. Ari is indeed that dood. He braves many yokels and southern voodoolands. Props!!!

the indiana jones reference totally blew over my head.... since it was coming from Nate, I interpreted "indy" to mean something relating to private press.

thanks, mark.... you may be in the same boat with your visits to trailers in TX and desert record reservoirs out in Cali.

• CONGRATS ari!!! We were just talking about paunetto. You will like that joint.

I'll give your wooley the newt a NEW HOME if you don't want it. (I'll beat whoever to it and say AYO)

That charles earland is decently rare, but sounds like a pile of poo.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

thanks, m***.... you may be in the same boat with your visits to trailers in TX and desert record reservoirs out in Cali.

Haha, not as many yokels out here though unless you brave the desertfolk. I just got back from a kid's apartment in Coronado, which an island town near downtown San Diego (no voodoo, yes navy/military). He had many Mantiovani and Moody Blues for days, but no real heat. I bought a few non raers for trade and left. I think someone on their bike hit my car on the way back but I checked my car in the dark and I don't think that was the case. Did I mention it is raining down here?

• If he would have sold his posters...these would be in the mail for Guzzo.

I came the f*%k up there today!!! I bought $80 worth of Memphis gospel!!!

It was hard to explain what this place was like to the Hook-Up but I think he got the picture before we even walked in the door.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Damn, you could call this place Aik** Pr*'s and not be called out for being on some secret squirrel shit!

Herm

• I got a package today but the cover didn't match the record!

I was so pissed I went to the CC, copped some Big Fatty, 2 Super Sensi Stars, and an Ortega long pak. I got lifted and realized, that although this record is not the the King Curtis, is is indeed a private press bloodspatterer. Now I'm quite happy and proud of a certain emo friend of mine...

• HELL YEAH!

b/w "Somewhere In Mississippi" I think...

I got a package today but the cover didn't match the record!

I was so pissed I went to the CC, copped some Big Fatty, 2 Super Sensi Stars, and an Ortega long pak. I got lifted and realized, that although this record is not the the King Curtis, is is indeed a private press bloodspatterer. Now I'm quite happy and proud of a certain emo friend of mine...

• You know, I never pictured the band to look like that but I have no gripes...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Mrs. Crink = Mrs. Claus?

• You know, there's almost some breaks on this sucker...

You know, there's almost some breaks on this sucker...

haha!

Honestly, the dude who plays most of the drums (I play 'em on a couple tracks ) on that is a monster! He is a dorky white guy but he can sound like pretty purdie - I shit you not!

That song "dusty" is the jam. Real headz knowz the dealz.

• started the week out by headin down to Holly Springs, Missisippi to Aieki Pro's Record(s) shop with shingaling and Daniel. Hard to explain the condition of this place..so here is a little photo diary

first here are some of the fine decorations in the store(how fucking ill is that "Kesha Wright" poster?

here is the widest walkway in the place... eight inches wide, maybe

the organization is second to none..really, all the records are alphabetized, believe it or not

shingaling sampling the goods

it got hot as fuck in there after a couple hours...here is me sweaty and apparently in some sort of pain

a few scans of some stuff I copped

finally here is Daniel, the owner Mr. Caldwell, myself and shingaling being blinded by the sun

YOU RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

That song "dusty" is the jam. Real headz knowz the dealz.

haha! I actually had to go track down some original artists today to get copies for your dude Polish Prince! radd!

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1113892072hcrink">

hitting up my own bandmate for free copies[/b]
    busting big dude moves
    kinda shady
    James trouble will be on the case, yo!
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

The hommie polish prince has folkwayz for dayz. Best recognize.

The hommie polish prince has folkwayz for dayz. Best recognize.

rad! he is hookin' it up yo!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

"Indy, Indy!"[/b] = referance to the Indiana Jones movie "Temple of Doom" (the worst of the trilogy)

You are out of your fucking mind there Ted Kaczynski.

Best of the trilogy, hands down.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    $.50

Cuties Get Connected 12" - Domino
    Let's Party 12" - K.M.G.
    Keep Ya Movin 12" - Seville
    Talkin Loud 12" - MC Tee and Lord Tasheem
    I Want Action 12"- Kam
    All That/Hit 12" - Original Flavor
    I'm For Real/Live and Down - J.D.C.
    Oh Olivia 12" - Anttex and the Clik
    Problemes D'Amour EP - Alexander Robotnick

$2.00

The Yellow Princess - John Fahey
    Instant Death - Eddie Harris
    Bobo Motion - Willie Bobo
    Spanish Blues Band - Willie Bobo

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Damn you cats do not waste any time. Only Tuesday morning and already starting the mid week digs. This has forced me to prolong my lunch break and hit record shops.

"Indy, Indy!"[/b] = referance to the Indiana Jones movie "Temple of Doom" (the worst of the trilogy)

You are out of your fucking mind there Ted Kaczynski.

Best of the trilogy, hands down.

YOU BUGGIN' OUT!!!

Checked out a thrift today that usually has utter crap but obviously some beach music fan had dumped their collection. In the stack I got a couple of Motown albums, Desmond Dekker ISRAELITES (dupe), Archie Bell TIGHTEN UP LP (VG-... Damn) , a couple beach comps, a dupe of the Lively Ones BUGALU PARTY LP (which sounds better than it, uh, sounds), and a few other soul stuffs. I was in competition with some old head record show dude (white hair, white beard, fat, balding) and didn't have cash, so I was sweating a bit that I'd lose this record to his vulturelike ways:

Harvey Averne Dozen: VIVA SOUL LP Atlantic (mono)
    !!!!!

Thanks Goodwill staff for holding the stuff securely so I could go to the ATM... whew.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Harvey Averne Dozen: VIVA SOUL LP Atlantic (mono)
    !!!!!

What's the word on this?

[img]Harvey Averne Dozen: VIVA SOUL LP Atlantic (mono)

What's the word on this?

----> ??CARAMBA!

(i.e.: peppy latin-tinged mod soul tunes like "Make Out" and "Micro Mini" along with a few covers. It's not funky, and not really even that latin-sounding IMO, but a very club-friendly album for the right crowd. Certainly a nice personal find for a buck. If you like early Mongo Santamaria, you may like this - Mongo compadre Marty Sheller cowrote some of the tunes. I'll be playing this quite a bit at my gigs in the upcoming months.)

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Damn you cats do not waste any time. Only Tuesday morning and already starting the mid week digs. This has forced me to prolong my lunch break and hit record shops.

Booker T & The M.G.'s - Mclemore Avenue (Stax)
    Buddy Rich and the Big Band Machine - Speak no Evil (dude is doing some serious kah-rah-tay action move on the back cover)
    Al Kooper introduces Shuggie Ottis - Kooper Session (Columbia)