forced evacuations ...

13»

Comments

• [quote
    doesn't mean that $2000 isn't a step in the right direction.

ONLY if it's a first step, with a long term plan soon to come
    Of course this is a first step. It is not like they are going to give everyone $2000 and then pack up and leave. It is a start and that is all it is.

• yes,they are used to adversity..but unlike her i'm not condoning their treatment...that $2000 is some what another slap in the face

What amount would be acceptable? Remember, it has only been 12 (?) days since the storm. Jobs, housing, etc (let all hope) will come later (hopefully sooner).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

yes,they are used to adversity..but unlike her i'm not condoning their treatment...that $2000 is some what another slap in the face

What amount would be acceptable? Remember, it has only been 12 (?) days since the storm. Jobs, housing, etc (let all hope) will come later (hopefully sooner).

i dunno..maybe you're right...i probably am being too negative/skeptical

• what can they really buy with $2000 of any real significance that couldn't be given to them by us more fortunate people during these trying times...the levee breaking wasn't their faults....
    I don't know this seems pretty good to me for starters. If this is like $2000 per adult person. If it's per family or something then it's a little low. But for me that represents a month and a halfs pay. If I had nothing and had to restart on $2000. I'm pretty confident I could do it:

New wardrobe at salvation army: $100
    Bus ticket to beter job market: $200
    1st months rent and deposit on crappy studio apartment: $1000
    1 month of basic food and toiletries: $200

That's $1500 I'd still have $500 left to get me through a month while I looked for a job. If I didn't find one soon I would do day labor, get my ass out of bed at $:30 5 am and make that $5.15 and get paid weekly and keep looking for something beter. Those day labor temp places will hire anyone who shows up on time, isn't drunk and can say a few words in english. I mean the key obviously is to get far away to restart. Shit go to Vegas you know how good the construction industry is there? They always need people. I'm not above schleping bricks to get on my feet neither should any other able bodied person.