forced evacuations ...

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    honestly, it's like that movie Outbreak where the guy decided "fuck this, I'm outta here" and rounded up his family into the suburban and tried to 4-wheel it outta there and got fired on by the army dudes telling him to turn back or else.

Just get out for a few days(weeks), let the haz-mat dudes clean shit up, and go back. Hopefully they can organize this so it happens somewhat painlessly for those that still have homes to return to.

• ...we'll see how much force has to be used

No, we probably won't.

FEMA Blocks Photos of New Orleans Dead

By E&P Staff

Published: September 07, 2005 12:06 PM ET

NEW YORK Forced to defend what some critics consider its slow response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said on Tuesday it does not want the news media to take photographs of the dead as they are recovered from New Orleans.

FEMA, which is leading the rescue efforts, rejected requests from journalists to accompany rescue boats as they went out to search for storm victims, Reuters reported.

A FEMA spokeswoman told the wire service that space was need on the rescue boats and assured Reuters that "the recovery of the victims is being treated with dignity and the utmost respect."

"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman told Reuters via e-mail.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    ...we'll see how much force has to be used

No, we probably won't.

By E&P Staff

NEW YORK Forced to defend what some critics consider its slow response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said on Tuesday it does not want the news media to take photographs of the dead as they are recovered from New Orleans.

FEMA, which is leading the rescue efforts, rejected requests from journalists to accompany rescue boats as they went out to search for storm victims, Reuters reported.

A FEMA spokeswoman told the wire service that space was need on the rescue boats and assured Reuters that "the recovery of the victims is being treated with dignity and the utmost respect."

"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman told Reuters via e-mail.

THIS IS FUCKING OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

• ...we'll see how much force has to be used

No, we probably won't.

By E&P Staff

THIS IS FUCKING OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

I doubt they have the power to enforce something like that. Not like the media is going to call them on it or anything...

• You can bet the call has gone out for the feds to do some damage control.

Just to recap:
    pictures of dead brown people in the middle east: okay
    pictures of dead east asians: okay
    pictures of dead Americans killed by American neglect: taboo....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    You can bet the call has gone out for the feds to do some damage control.

Just to recap:
    pictures of dead brown people in the middle east: okay
    pictures of dead east asians: okay
    pictures of dead Americans killed by American neglect: taboo....

seriously. We are so afraid of ourselves, well, that it's frightening.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1) I don't think a lot of people who stayed in New Orleans really know how bad it is. If I'm not mistaken they probably don't have any electricty and are basically cut off and isolated.

2) 60% of the city is still underwater. The people still in the city probably don't realize this either. That crap filled water is going to be there a loooong time, it's not going away in the immediate future.

3) The governnent has public health and safety issues to consider. If they think the water is going to spread disease and from what I've heard, it most likely will, then they have a public service to evacuate people so they don't get sick and then get others sick as well.

4) From the NPR reports that I've heard, they're not going to use force to get anyone out. They going to inform people of the situation and then take out everyone who volunteers. The people who refuse they said they'll have to take care of later, how, they didn't say.

5) I think if you're stuck in your house up to the attic in water, told that it's not going down, told that it's full of toxic waste, you'd want to get out, especially if you've been there for 5 days and your supplies are running low and you really haven't seen or talked to anyone that whole time.

• i am not feeling this at all..is it even constitutional?..i never did trust that Nagin dude

and the local news just reported FEMA is going to start providing evacuees with debit type cards to purchase esssentials...

this is getting very scary.......

Can the government do anything right in your mind? Would you rather folks be left there to die from some fucked up nasty disease? They are protecting the folks of N.O. (granted, it is a little late) - period.

As for the debit cards - I think it is a great idea. Evacuees are scattered all around the country. Why not let them go buy what they need rather than have the government give them what it thinks they need? Thousands of people are basically starting over with nothing - lets give them some dignity and freedom to make their own decisions and let them buy what they want. I read they will be given cards with $2,000, which is not a ton of money, but it is certainly a start.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Can the government do anything right in your mind?

yes...i'm not at all anti-government

Would you rather folks be left there to die from some fucked up nasty disease?

no...of course not

They are protecting the folks of N.O.

excuse my questioning/skepticism of the united states government and what they SAY they are protecting.....if you'd like i can give you an extensive list of deceitful actions by the us government under the guise of protecting women and minorities....

i dunno maybe 'Tuskeegee' fucked my mind up a bit

Why not let them go buy what they need rather than have the government give them what it thinks they need?

OH !!! You mean like giving them jobs instead of making welfare the only option?

Thousands of people are basically starting over with nothing

poor people starting with nothing....that's a first

let them buy what they want.I read they will be given cards with $2,000, it is certainly a start.

what can they really buy with $2000 of any real significance that couldn't be given to them by us more fortunate people during these trying times...the levee breaking wasn't their faults....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Why not let them go buy what they need rather than have the government give them what it thinks they need?

OH !!! You mean like giving them jobs instead of making welfare the only option?

what jobs? where?

Thousands of people are basically starting over with nothing

poor people starting with nothing....that's a first

before: living pay check to pay check in g'vt housing

after: no job, no g'vt housing, no city, no support network, nothing

let them buy what they want.I read they will be given cards with $2,000, it is certainly a start.

what can they really buy with $2000 of any real significance that couldn't be given to them by us more fortunate people during these trying times...the levee breaking wasn't their faults....

doesn't mean that $2000 isn't a step in the right direction.

what jobs? where?

you missed my point...but forget it

before: living pay check to pay check in g'vt housing

after: no job, no g'vt housing, no city, no support network, nothing

of course things are much worse for the poor people of New Orleans now...but those weren't the people jumping off buildings and shooting themselves in the head...because people born in poverty get used to dealing with extreme adversity and in a strange,inexplicable way they just 'roll with it' and adjust to whatever adversity that comes along....

doesn't mean that $2000 isn't a step in the right direction.

ONLY if it's a first step, with a long term plan soon to come

• dayday 9,611 Posts

We alone just raised 10X that IN A MATTER OF DAYS so what does that tell you?

How many of us did it take to rais that much? Somewhere between 20-50 people?

There's how many displaced people?

Do the math.

Shit, how long can a family live off that?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    It's weird man. I get kind of racist overtones popping out here and there in this thread.

• ASTRODOME

i smell a lizard

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ASTRODOME

i smell a lizard

holy shit.

• I read they will be given cards with $2,000, which is not a ton of money, but it is certainly a start.

I'm wondering if anyone will use it as a

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

On what? A tool shed??

What is this shit about the army blowing the levee to flood the ninth ward and spare the French Quarter?? Is this true??

• ASTRODOME

i smell a lizard

holy shit.

Off the wall.

And this is the age of the Internet. Imagine if it was 1985 instead of 2005.

What I don't get though is what is preventing them from running the low-power station directly outside the Astrodome. The radio waves should still penetrate, right?

• I'm wondering if anyone will use it as a

On what? A tool shed??

What is this shit about the army blowing the levee to flood the ninth ward and spare the French Quarter?? Is this true??

This is Louisana, not California. $40,000 * 5% = $2,000. In Ohio you can buy a liveable (if not exciting) spot for that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This is Louisana, not California. $40,000 * 5% = $2,000. In Ohio you can buy a liveable (if not exciting) spot for that.

Wow, that blows my mind. To give perspective, these are the numbers for my area (MA):

Currently the average price for a single family home is $485, 000. The average price for condominiums is $680,000.

You can see where my skewed sarcasm came from...the average down payment around here is $24,000+!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I read they will be given cards with $2,000, which is not a ton of money, but it is certainly a start.

Imagine yourself in that situation. You have no clothes, toiletries, food, water, employment etc., I'm sure the first thing on your mind would be blowing your entire wad on a down payment on a house.

It seems pretty obvious to me now that you'll take any moronic stance just to argue with people on here.

• This is Louisana, not California. $40,000 * 5% = $2,000. In Ohio you can buy a liveable (if not exciting) spot for that.

Wow, that blows my mind. To give perspective, these are the numbers for my area (MA):

Currently the average price for a single family home is $485, 000. The average price for condominiums is $680,000.

You can see where my skewed sarcasm came from...the average down payment around here is $24,000+!!

Haha, it's ok. I kinda figured as much.

Still, that's a stretch, but hey, even if you got 2 families together you could pull out enough to get a decent. Especially with a lot of folks that lived up in small shotgun houses anyway, they could probably at least match what they had.[/nobarbarabush]

But yeah, in Ohio you can get city property for that price left and right. A lot of it isn't beautiful but it is functional.

Of course, reflecting on it, it may be a problem to pay the mortgage with no job. Hmmm. But still, it's a thought. If they could find some employment for at least some of the people, toss in a little help for closing costs... hey, who knows.

And even so, you can even get a decent used manufactured home for $30-$40k.

Next Soulstrut project?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you missed my point...but forget it

jobs are better than hand-outs in the abstract. but for people who need something right now in the face of disaster, $2000 is nothing to scoff at.

of course things are much worse for the poor people of New Orleans now...but those weren't the people jumping off buildings and shooting themselves in the head...because people born in poverty get used to dealing with extreme adversity and in a strange,inexplicable way they just 'roll with it' and adjust to whatever adversity that comes along....

so you agree with barbara bush, on some "oh they're poor, they're used to this"?

ONLY if it's a first step, with a long term plan soon to come

now this is where the cynicism should kick in...

• I read they will be given cards with $2,000, which is not a ton of money, but it is certainly a start.

Imagine yourself in that situation. You have no clothes, toiletries, food, water, employment etc., I'm sure the first thing on your mind would be blowing your entire wad on a down payment on a house.

Hence my wondering. It's unlikely, but not EVERYone left with absolutely NOTHING. A lot of people are staying with family, hence they are covered for the day to day issues such as food, toiletries, water. Dumbass.

It seems pretty obvious to me now that you'll take any moronic stance just to argue with people on here.

Starting a sentence with "I'm wondering..." really sounds like an argument. Actually, in the post above, name a point where I could possibly start an argument. And looking at the above quotes, the only person starting an argument is YOU[/b]. Shut the fuck up.[/b]

• I'll take any moronic stance just to argue with people on here. You can ban me now.

Yes. BAN.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I read they will be given cards with $2,000, which is not a ton of money, but it is certainly a start.

Hence my wondering. It's unlikely, but not EVERYone left with absolutely NOTHING. A lot of people are staying with family, hence they are covered for the day to day issues such as food, toiletries, water. Dumbass.

Starting a sentence with "I'm wondering..." really sounds like an argument. Actually, in the post above, name a point where I could possibly start an argument. And looking at the above quotes, the only person starting an argument is YOU[/b]. Shut the fuck up.[/b]

I guess I was wrong about that specific post. It sounded like you were trying to make a "controversial" statement to rile people up. You have been guilty of that. You can tell me to shut the fuck up all you want, but it's true.

• I guess I was wrong about that specific post. It sounded like you were trying to make a "controversial" statement to rile people up. You have been guilty of that. You can tell me to shut the fuck up all you want, but it's true.

Guilty as charged.

No hard feelings. In certain topics like this, though, I'm not going to make jokes. NOLA, Strutters kids, stuff like that, I'm not going to play.

When it comes to posts about alien vaginas, I'm wide open for being retarded.

BTW, I appreciate you saying maybe you were wrong on this one not pressing on an argument. That's cool.

• I'll take any moronic stance just to argue with people on here. You can ban me now.
    Yes. BAN.

You are my gay stalker. Seriously. It's like you follow me around. What's with you? That's just weird.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

so you agree with barbara bush, on some "oh they're poor, they're used to this"?

not what i meant at all...i'm actually paying tribute to the mental courage/strength of the poor

yes,they are used to adversity..but unlike her i'm not condoning their treatment...that $2000 is some what another slap in the face