forced evacuations ...

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
i am not feeling this at all..is it even constitutional?..i never did trust that Nagin dude

and the local news just reported FEMA is going to start providing evacuees with debit type cards to purchase esssentials...

this is getting very scary.......

Comments

• well... if the water is contaminated and such... I don't think it's right to let people stay there... thats like willingly letting someone commit suicide ain't it? I'm hoping that this is the reason they're forcing people out.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i am not feeling this at all..is it even constitutional?..i never did trust that Nagin dude

and the local news just reported FEMA is going to start providing evacuees with debit type cards to purchase esssentials...

this is getting very scary.......

but the city is basically uninhabitable, soon to be swarming with disease and already covered in chemicals and sewage.

I guess my question is...how is letting someone stay in what amounts to a giant toxic toilet bowl any less scary?

oh wait my other question is what the hell did you google to get that pic? "microchip + implant"?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    as a citizen of the united states of america i believe if i am of sound mind and wish to die in a ocean of dead bodies,toxic waste and disease i should be able to do this no matter how stupid it may be.....

and i'm afraid this may set some type of weird precedent...of course New Orleans is inhabitable, without question....but is there a black & white definition for inhabitable/habitable ? who defines this in the future?

• I gotta agree with my compatriots here. Just having standing water like that is dangerous - it's a breeding ground for mosquitos, snakes (etc.) as well as disease.

That's not even factoring in the raw sewage and industrial waste (amongst other things) that abound in that water. It's really, really dangerous. We're talking disease outbreak type dangerous.

Local (to me) example: when the blackout hit here a couple years ago, Cleveland's wastewater treatment plants shut down and dumped raw sewage in Lake Erie.

You couldn't (or weren't supposed to) even go in the water on the Ohio coast of Lake Erie the rest of the year. The parasite counts were off the charts. And this is on a huge body of water that is constantly churning, not standing still.

That's ignoring the fact that many days out of the summer much of the Cleveland coastline is off the charts anyway, and this is with no extra assistance from a natural disaster.

So my friend, that's just crazy. I see those pics of people walking around in knee deep water wearing jeans and I'm like, "Those people are fucking insane." It would be one thing if your neighborhood were dry (sorta), but with those places being soaked down it's hopeless. And even those neighborhoods that were flooded but dried out already doesn't matter - those houses are most likely going to grow mold, and they won't let you reinhabit them anyway. I know from fact, I had family members flooded out in the Georgia floods back in the early 90's.

• and i'm afraid this may set some type of weird precedent...of course New Orleans is uninhabitable, without question....but is there a black & white definition for unhabitable/habitable ? who defines this in the future?

Unlike other off the wall shit that has come up, there are pretty clear definitions even on the local level in most places. It's usually written into the health code.

Unlike other off the wall shit that has come up, there are pretty clear definitions even on the local level in most places. It's usually written into the health code.

but if i'm only harming myself ..why should i be forcefully removed from my property

not saying i would stay...i'm just playing devil's advocate

but who are these people harming? their neighbors? their community?

fuck em', if they want to die in their homes in 10 feet of shit water to hell with em'...but using force just scares me

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This is not at all up for question. The gov't cannot have people running around there right now. In addition, I see no benefit to letting anyone stay put.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

fuck em', if they want to die in their homes in 10 feet of shit water to hell with em'...but using force just scares me

using force is definitely not the answer. but letting them stay is not the answer either. a lot of these people are sufferring from post traumatic stress disorder, and they really are not thinking straight. they have nothing to hold on to, and all they can think of is staying there. not doing the best to get them to leave is like letting them die. enough of that has already happenned.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I know what you mean, but I think they don't want an outbreak/epidemic on their hands.

I can see both sides though.

What are they gonna do if someone doesn't co-operate? Kill them?

It's the same rationale as shooting someone so they don't commit suicide.

We live in a crazy fucking world. I've spent the last half an hour reading about how wicked Karl Rove is (Wikipedia is quite a resource). I can't take any more of these devils (no racial overtones, these dudes really are minions of satan).

i feel you guys and you all make excellent points...its just a little scary how things are going down

• fuck em', if they want to die in their homes in 10 feet of shit water to hell with em'...but using force just scares me

Well, you'd have the potential for an epidemic.

And that's government. Suicide is illegal, your property can be taken through eminent domain, you're paying money into Social Security that will benefit you absolutely 0.

Look at the bright side: it could be a lot worse.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ...its just a little scary how things are going down

I feel you.

All of this is really starting to depress me.

• All of this is really starting to depress me.

dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

what did i tell you in the other thread

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Oh, about my kids?

Yeah man, that's part of the reason I'm feeling this way.

• Yes, but not just.

While this was a terrible event, these things have always and forever have been happening. fucked up politics, natural disasters, shit that is a total letdown.

You can't sit around and get depressed about it. People on SS have made their contribution and done what they can and that's good.

But shit, there's [i]always/I> going to be something like this in one way or another to sweat about. Don't waste the time.
    You can't control it anyway.

Like I said before... focus on the kids. That's the big picture. Fucked up government shouldn't even be near it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    and i'm afraid this may set some type of weird precedent...of course New Orleans is inhabitable, without question....but is there a black & white definition for inhabitable/habitable ? who defines this in the future?

that precedent's already set though. 'my beloved pittsburgh's big shame is displacing hundreds of (black) (poor) people whose houses were seized and destroyed so that they could build the Civic Arena. shit, I-10 in New Orleans was built right on top of Claiborne Ave., which was a thriving black business district until they bulldozed everything and made it into a service road.

I see what you're sayin, but there are (and, most likely, will be) much scarier things of this nature to worry about. anyone staying in new orleans is, at best, killing themselves, and, at worst, is getting the way of rescue, detox and rebuilding efforts.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm kinda ignorant on the subject, but what happens to people who lose their houses because of this shit? Is it just some insurance shit? Also, would people stand a chance suing the government over this shit citing cuts in funding and basically all the shit they didn't do that made this into a much worse situation than it should have been?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm kinda ignorant on the subject, but what happens to people who lose their houses because of this shit? Is it just some insurance shit? Also, would people stand a chance suing the government over this shit citing cuts in funding and basically all the shit they didn't do that made this into a much worse situation than it should have been?

That area is one of the LEAST insured areas in the US, so it will not be a huge insurance bail out to many, and the fact that it is a flood means that insurance covers even less. So many many homeowners/property companies are seriously on their own. Which means they turn to the same people who left them there to die in the first place, their Federal government. So a lot of people, short AND long term are screwed, they have zip.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I see where Ed is coming from. While there are obvious reasons for evacuating, it does look like people are just being herded around like cattle. Where was the health concern when they were forced to live in what was essentially one big trash heap? How long was the gap between "you can't leave" and "you can't stay?"

• that precedent's already set though. 'my beloved pittsburgh's big shame is displacing hundreds of (black) (poor) people whose houses were seized and destroyed so that they could build the Civic Arena. shit, I-10 in New Orleans was built right on top of Claiborne Ave., which was a thriving black business district until they bulldozed everything and made it into a service road.

That was the M.O. with late 60s urban renewal. Every city did it. Even Canton, Ohio, population... well, at the time it was a little over 100,000, plowed over most of their black neighborhood in the name of urban renewal to build an expressway interchange and some industrial parks.

What these cities didn't think about was the fact that while the buildings may disappear, the people don't, and they have to go somewhere. And that somewhere was usually out into the ajoining neighborhoods. And so the ghetto spread...

• You know, the more I think about it, the more I see where Ed is coming from. While there are obvious reasons for evacuating, it does look like people are just being herded around like cattle. Where was the health concern when they were forced to live in what was essentially one big trash heap? How long was the gap between "you can't leave" and "you can't stay?"

What they're doing now (aside from the proposal to criminalize people for staying) makes sense from a public health standpoint.

The whole Superdome (etc.) thing was just psycho.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    well... if the water is contaminated and such... I don't think it's right to let people stay there... thats like willingly letting someone commit suicide ain't it?

Some of us believe that people--adults at least--should be allowed to commit suicide.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    well... if the water is contaminated and such... I don't think it's right to let people stay there... thats like willingly letting someone commit suicide ain't it?

Some of us believe that people--adults at least--should be allowed to commit suicide.

sure you're allowed, but if I can do anything to try and stop you, I will. You know?

sure you're allowed, but if I can do anything to try and stop you, I will. You know?

Well, you're actually not allowed--I think it's illegal.

But I believe in people's right to choose to end their lives, and don't necessarily believe in meddling with that decision.

Regardless, I don't think refusing to evacuate--particularly in some areas--is tantamount to suicide.

• well... if the water is contaminated and such... I don't think it's right to let people stay there... thats like willingly letting someone commit suicide ain't it?

While I understand that this argument might ostensibly be about suicide, what is really at stake here is a public health crisis. We are not talking about someone just dropping dead in 48 hours from contaminants, but acquiring bacteria and disease and contaminants that could be transfered to other people. You have to contain the contamination, whether or not you believe that people should be allowed to "go down with the ship", as it were.

While I understand that this argument might ostensibly be about suicide, what is really at stake here is a public health crisis. We are not talking about someone just dropping dead in 48 hours from contaminants, but acquiring bacteria and disease and contaminants that could be transfered to other people. You have to contain the contamination, whether or not you believe that people should be allowed to "go down with the ship", as it were.

I know what the argument is; I'm rejecting the analogy.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I know what the argument is; I'm rejecting the analogy.

facts are facts, those people need to get out of there for EVERYONE's good, theirs included. Doesn't mean they need to be happy about it, just hope they don't try taking people out while in refusal mode.

what is really at stake here is a public health crisis. We are not talking about someone just dropping dead in 48 hours from contaminants, but acquiring bacteria and disease and contaminants that could be transfered to other people.

yeah...after i gave it some more thought i agree....although it seems a bit weird people being forced from their homes....the future health risks those people that stay pose to others is extremely dangerous...and then the issue will be "why did we let those people stay,now they've infected x amount of innocent people with....."

so ,yeah...i guess it's better they be evacuated...we'll see how much force has to be used

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ...we'll see how much force has to be used

No, we probably won't.