Smashing Pumpkins - Yay or Nay?

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited May 2014 in Strut Central
There seems to be two groups emerging here, what say you?
«1345

  Comments


  • Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I like them from afar, but can't really fucks with actually making the effort to listen these days. Some songs make me think I like them, but then a full concentration is too much for me. I never owned any albums in my youth, don't now.

    I do dig Daydream, which was in a skate video and probably influenced me liking it (contextual). I also will dig some other stuff when heard on the radio.

    I, unlike lots of people on this board, don't have violent knee jerk reactions to most things. I could probably listen to anything.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I feel take it or leave it about most of those 90s art school arty indie bands that blew up. They somehow managed to be everywhere but harmless and benign enough to not get sick of. Most of them suffer from annoying fans more than annoying catalogue.

    Now fill out this poll I sweated to create!
    just kidding

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ballsy

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I only go 2 albums in. Gish, I loved the hell out of. Saw them live in a small room at Emo's in Houston and that was great. At first, I thought Siamese Dream was too much whiny but not enough grunge for me, but one of my roommates at the time would play the hell out of it and it definitely grew on me. Beyond that, I liked that rat in a cage song from the radio, but that's about it.

    Overall, maybe not brilliant, but certainly not worthy of blanket hate.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I forgot to say please.

  • FrankFrank 2,360 Posts
    Wish I could partake but there's no simple "-they're shit" option.

    I have a special brand of highly acidic bile for some pseudo-melancholic boy-child who can't sing for shit, spoils the atmosphere with his repulsive nasally sing-song and leaks their sticky middle class angst onto the populace like spiritual pus.

    Musically they're just total garbage.

    One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I had five options, but it didn't show up when I posted. People can add their elaborate and poetic they're shit vote in the thread

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Frank said:


    One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit.

    Then you must have been living under a rock from '91-'95.

    You can dislike them all you want, but the way you express your opinion on these remote people who might have liked them is fucked up.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    post an actual balls track please

  • FrankFrank 2,360 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Frank said:


    One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit.

    Then you must have been living under a rock from '91-'95.

    You can dislike them all you want, but the way you express your opinion on these remote people who might have liked them is fucked up.

    I've been to hundreds of punk, post punk and noise rock shows or whatever other label would apply and never met or even overheard anybody repping these fools. Granted, most of those were in the mid 80s to early 90s so maybe I missed their big impact. There are few things that rile me up more than shitty music and faked emotions.


    Dude even failed as a drug addict. Should have odverdosed before he looked like a poorly aged Pillsbury Doughboy squeezed into children's clothes:

  • magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I know it's not cool to say Mellon Collie is their best album, but the first half of CD1 is timeless shit.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    donÔÇÖt know anything about them, might change the station if theyÔÇÖre on


  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    post an actual balls track please

    1st song off the 1st album...


  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I always liked their name. Very Ballsy.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Frank said:
    Should have odverdosed


  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Frank said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Frank said:


    One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit.

    Then you must have been living under a rock from '91-'95.

    You can dislike them all you want, but the way you express your opinion on these remote people who might have liked them is fucked up.

    I've been to hundreds of punk, post punk and noise rock shows or whatever other label would apply and never met or even overheard anybody repping these fools. There are few things that rile me up more than shitty music and faked emotions.


    Nope, they didn't release their first single on Sub Pop right around the same time Nirvana was exploding.

    You are right. Nobody at all was into them.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    We've been through this before on here with Jane's Addiction. People disowned ever liking them, even though they certainly did in their heyday. I was the one saying it's weak to do such a thing. Stand by your taste even if it was of a younger, less learned version of yourself. Maybe this doesn't apply to Frank or Batmon, but still.

  • FrankFrank 2,360 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Frank said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Frank said:


    One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit.

    Then you must have been living under a rock from '91-'95.

    You can dislike them all you want, but the way you express your opinion on these remote people who might have liked them is fucked up.

    I've been to hundreds of punk, post punk and noise rock shows or whatever other label would apply and never met or even overheard anybody repping these fools. There are few things that rile me up more than shitty music and faked emotions.


    Nope, they didn't release their first single on Sub Pop right around the same time Nirvana was exploding.

    You are right. Nobody at all was into them.

    Clearly they were popular amongst some people and sold a ton of records. My remark "One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit" was rhetorical cause I never met anybody who was into them.

    To me they were always one of those movie prop bands. You had some generic actor play some sort of a goth type outcast but also had a sweet if somewhat melancholic side to them and they would listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. Kids who saw this and felt like they want to be somewhat "different" would go and buy their record. A case of "life imitates art imitates life".

    I'm still having difficulty picturing anybody listening to this stuff and be like "yeah, this rocks... so ballsy!"

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I really doubt Harvey is only dude who repped Spanking Blumkins up in this bitch.

    If you have some sort of opinion, yo ass was listening.

  • FrankFrank 2,360 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    We've been through this before on here with Jane's Addiction. People disowned ever liking them, even though they certainly did in their heyday. I was the one saying it's weak to do such a thing. Stand by your taste even if it was of a younger, less learned version of yourself. Maybe this doesn't apply to Frank or Batmon, but still.

    Like I give a shit what anybody thinks of me. I liked the Jane's Addiction's first two records. Never owned a copy though but yeah, I'm not proud of having dug them.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Frank said:


    Clearly they were popular amongst some people and sold a ton of records. My remark "One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit" was rhetorical cause I never met anybody who was into them.

    To me they were always one of those movie prop bands. You had some generic goth type actor play some sort of an outcast and they would listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. Kids who saw this and felt like they want to be somewhat "different" would go and buy their record. A case of "life imitates art imitates life".

    I'm still having difficulty picturing anybody listening to this stuff and be like "yeah, this rocks... so ballsy!"

    Newsflash! It was normal people, including myself, including pretty much all of my friends from college, including a large portion of people who just happened to be between the ages of 16-25 during that time. Again, insult the music and the band all you want...but quit being a dick towards people you even say you didn't know.

  • FrankFrank 2,360 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Frank said:


    Clearly they were popular amongst some people and sold a ton of records. My remark "One of those bands I never believed there are actual real people who listen to this shit" was rhetorical cause I never met anybody who was into them.

    To me they were always one of those movie prop bands. You had some generic goth type actor play some sort of an outcast and they would listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. Kids who saw this and felt like they want to be somewhat "different" would go and buy their record. A case of "life imitates art imitates life".

    I'm still having difficulty picturing anybody listening to this stuff and be like "yeah, this rocks... so ballsy!"

    Newsflash! It was normal people, including myself, including pretty much all of my friends from college, including a large portion of people who just happened to be between the ages of 16-25 during that time. Again, insult the music and the band all you want...but quit being a dick towards people you even say you didn't know.

    I wish I could comply but that would go against my nature as a misanthrope.

    There's plenty of shit that I do like and I'm always being vocal about that as well but some stuff just makes my skin crawl. Top of the list is this semi-asthmatic, faux-emotional vocal style... yuck!.

    I was being genuine with why I can't stand this band and I tried my best to explain this as good as possible, maybe my language was a bit too colorful but come on, don't be so delicate.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    blushing at swear words is delicate, not trying to avoid conversing with a stream of bile.

  • mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I only go 2 albums in. Gish, I loved the hell out of. Overall, maybe not brilliant, but certainly not worthy of blanket hate.


  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Now I'm trying to think, what band did I love that makes me cringe inside myself a little bit?.....hard to think of one. I wear my Frankie Goes to Hollywood, The Cure, Jane's Addiction and Duran Duran badges pretty proudly lol
    I'm pretty sure I danced to UB40 at a school dance. I can say I regret that.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i have alot of bad 90s music.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DJing for people/getting caught up in the moment/because your tastes have changed?

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    DJing for people/getting caught up in the moment/because your tastes have changed?

    Both.

    Experimenting along with excess cash, and caring more.

  • mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,574 Posts
    One of the bands I do feel like a sucker for ever being into when I was younger was Janes Addiction.

  • FrankFrank 2,360 Posts
    bassie said:
    blushing at swear words is delicate, not trying to avoid conversing with a stream of bile.

    Nothing I could possibly say would offend the most sensible of souls nearly as much as I am offended by this band.
Sign In or Register to comment.