new york

1235»

Comments

• batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    NYers are soft.

Thank You.

Fuckin' media calls an emergency for under a fuckin foot?

It not an Emergency. Its alot of snow. Fuckin greenhouse got dudes limp.

Go to fuckin school fuckin wimps.

Yeah, this is my feeling.

First of all this whole 'foot of snow' shit was just fear-mongering. Reliable sources had NYC getting 3"-5" inches and then rain, which is exactly what happened. Hardly an emergency, imo. And (old man yelling at cloud alert) when I was a kid canceling school for something like this was out of the question. And I would have walked two miles home afterwards.

• Got an email that our daughter's daycare/school was closing early, and then another saying that since the weather had mellowed out, it wasn't (they follow the NYC public school system's announcements)

I can understand the idea that this isn't a major weather emergency (it isn't). At the same time, school was already closed once this year in similar conditions, and IMO opening late would have been a lot more useful than closing early.

When I finally left the house around 11:30, lots of major arteries had seemingly not been plowed since the morning.

7.6" in Central Park

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    IF WE DON'T PLOW THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO GO BUY A 128 OUNCE BIG GULP!

IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Read somewhere, that in the past 20 years or so, only 11 school day cancellations have been ordered by NYC mayors.

While I def think there is some "softness" with respect to how many people are clamoring for cancellations because of what once may have been classified as just "normal Northeast snowfall", I suspect that has more to do with the ease for parents to work from home these days (compared to 10-15 yrs ago) and the crap transportation routes that exist during these storms.

that said, I also read today that a lot of public school kids depend on the school to feed them, and that as a result each snow day for some kids means days these kids don't eat/eat much.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/13/for_many_low_income_students_snow_days_can_mean_a_day_without_food/

but beyond this, i'd be curious to know how budget constraints possibly help decide these snow days - I have to assume that it costs the city a decent amount if there are a lot of snow days.

• also it's not like we just got half a foot of snow on naked concrete, it was already messy from previous storms. A lot of curbs and sidewalks still unshoveled

• old folks talkin bout "back in my day"
    well homie this is my day and DeBlasio shoulda canceled school

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I am currently 33 years old and in 5 months I will be turning 34. For awhile I have been ignoring the fact that I am in my thirties, but I can no longer ignore the truth in front of me. I am afraid of what the thirties have in store for me, it has it's ups and downs so far but for the most part it bums me out.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My kids have had at least 10 snow days this year with another one already called for tmw.

This is the most ridiculous winter ever. Apparently this is the most snow fall ever recorded for Philadelphia in one winter and we're not even done yet!

I'm feeling like this right about now.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've never heard of a town where the mayor decides if the school open or close.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I have to laugh every time I see pictures of what's considered a blizzard or snow storm in the US... like 6 or 8 inches of snow and all those housewifes in their 4x4 SUVs start sliding off the roads like drunk slugs. And it never gets old. You would think that at some point they'd get it that this stuff called snow is an annual occurrence routinely manifesting itself during the months of winter and learn to adjust their driving and everyday behavior but no, they let the idiot "news" media whip them into yet another frenzy, line up to buy water and batteries and break their ass on the way to or from the store just because they're expected to.

• lady on 125th put the blame squarely on "mr bellagio" this morning. not sure if that was a witty pun to imply that the mayor is out of touch or nah.

• CANADA said: