mold on records -- whats the deal??

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
can I get sick? Should I store the moldy cover somewhere, throw it away, scrape the mold off?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Toss the moldy cover!!!!! That can spread to your other records and you'll have a major mess. Only keep the record if you can get all the mold off with a rag and cleaner. Toss the record if you feel like it still has stuff on it. Mold can spread and damage so much it's not worth the risk.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Is that really true? I have moldy shit all over the place. I never bother to try to clean that shit off.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Mold can cause insanity...

If you can't bear to throw it out -- once you clean the hell out of it, keep that shit in a baggie.

But holding onto moldy records is

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Aw I meant mold on covers, buts its probably the same deal tho.

But mold needs dampness and darkness to propagate - which my recs aren't exposed to.

• wihlsunwihlsun 63 Posts
    Will wiping the cover with alcohol provide any protection from future mold growth?

Will wiping the cover with alcohol provide any protection from future mold growth?

only if you wipe the mold off :P

Alcohol evaporates quickly so it would leave no lasting protection, and it only kills bacteria - which won't help you, as mold comes from spores in the air.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I've tried it- even though it looks clean and glossy at first the stuff will grow back sometimes...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    you have to clean the moldy recods with a machine. otherwise you're spreading the spores around your collection like the clap. soul clap? no.

you have to kill the mold on the cover my putting it in the sun. also put the cover over a wine bottle (or whatever) to open up the inside to air out and kill the spores. wipe out the inside of the cover. if mold is bad, use a distilled h2o solution with 1% bleach. sometimes you can salvage the cover, but I still keep the record in a blank 12" sleeve along with the repaired cover in a plastic sleeve.

i found a huge psych/jazz collection once that was litteraly dripping wet and moldy. i worked hard and learned how to salvage them. but it's a lot of work.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I assume we are speaking of records that are actually growing mold, right? Not just "mildewy".

I've heard you can rub white bread on the mold to get rid of it. I've never tried it though. Could be a buncha hoodoo...

if you have mold that is blackish

and comes off like dirt when you wipe it...

mix a small spray bottle like the one in this picture

with 99% h2o and 1% bleach.

spray on the rag (not the cover)

and wipe the mold off lightly.

some of the carboard will fall off too.

that's ok.

Make sure you get the mold out of the inside too.

MOST IMPORTANT!

you might have to go ahead and split that bitch open.(if it was too tore up before you got hold of it)

let dry in the sun.

hopefully the cover will not ripple.

tape over all of the jagged looking shit.

bonus:

how to fix the fucked up seams.

use elmer's school glue (no horse.

dab across fucked up seem.

smooth with finger.

also press a glue little into the seam

with your finger as the glue starts to gel.

you want to keep the surface smooth

so it's not jagged after it dries.

clamp and let dry for 3 hours.

eat a hammer toe, bnitch!

FIVE STARS!!!!!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This is very valuable info,so far i'm lucky i haven't encounted this problem with any lp's i own.

Now i know the remedy if it happens.I want to know though how did you figure out the 1% bleach proportions in such a small bottle.

Is it just 1 drop to the bottle?

I want to know though how did you figure out the 1% bleach proportions in such a small bottle.

yep. just a couple of drops should do fine.

ps-- you still need to clean the record on a machine. sorry.

hand clean it. then machine.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I want to know though how did you figure out the 1% bleach proportions in such a small bottle.

yep. just a couple of drops should do fine.

Ok Thanks.

• Toss the moldy cover!!!!! That can spread to your other records and you'll have a major mess. Only keep the record if you can get all the mold off with a rag and cleaner. Toss the record if you feel like it still has stuff on it. Mold can spread and damage so much it's not worth the risk.

I don't know what kinda mold youre talking about, but in Japan, 90% of vinyl seem to have some kinda mold on it. Its not growing or wet mold, but brownish spots on the cover... Some records have little tan spots of mold that are easily cleaned off.

No one seems too incredibly worried about it here. Are you sure it's so dangerous? Especially if it is ancient and dry? It's not like the mold that grows on vegetables and shit...

Is it a case of mildew versus mold?

You mama-jamas are scaring me here...

Peace...

FNM

Are you it's so dangerous? Especially if it is ancient and dry? It's not like the mold that grows on vegetables and shit...

thank you

loc

• Are you it's so dangerous? Especially if it is ancient and dry? It's not like the mold that grows on vegetables and shit...

thank you

loc

So... you're saying this kind of mold (that doesn't come off when you wipe it, except on the record, and than its usually just in a little dot) is not a problem...?

You mama-jamas are scaring me here...

is aight bro, but what else can borther do all hungover and blunted as fuck on sundays butcept fix up some records and walk around in circles in he mama-jamas?

hold on.

trippy...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

I've heard you can rub white bread on the mold to get rid of it.

RACIST! Take that shit to sourdoughyeasthomeremedies.com, son! You still holding up with that molded-out "People Get Ready" covered by Jesus Christ Himself?

I've heard you can rub white bread on the mold to get rid of it.

RACIST! Take that shit to sourdoughyeasthomeremedies.com, son! You still holding up with that molded-out "People Get Ready" coved by Jesus Christ Himself?

YOU WANNA PIECE... I MEAN A SLICE.... OF THIS???!?!?!?!?!?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    SO FICKING SIK!!! Thanks.

• You mama-jamas are scaring me here...

is aight bro, but what else can borther do all hungover and blunted as fuck on sundays butcept fix up some records and walk around in circles in he mama-jamas?

hold on.

"...but what else can borther do all hungover and blunted as fuck on sundays butcept ... walk around in circles in he mama-jamas"

• eat a hammer toe, bnitch!

hold on.

how 'bout a pedicure for those busted toes

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    saying, I follow a similar mold cleaning regimen

I refuse to keep super moldy covers unless its something "raer"

then I triple bag it after cleaning the fuk out of it

no, no snug fit