No new Drake thraed? New Drake thraed.

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central
It's Strut-nippy from jump. Line from first tune, "Tuscan Leather":

"I sip the pourer and listen to Cappadonna
The Fresh Prince just had dinner with Tatyana, no lie"

Of all of Wu to name drop, I guess it makes sense for it to be Cappa.

Comments

• Funny this thraed should pop up now. I was just driving back from dinner with my pops and that Going Home song came on. I had never really given it a good listen. And, maaaaaaan. It sucks.

Does he rap on his new shit? The singing is a bad look.

edit - meant to tip my hat to your Cappadonna assessment. Well played.

• http://www.spin.com/articles/drake-nothing-was-the-same-leak-impulsive-reviews/

this basically sums up what I imagine the record to sound like.

tell me if I'm/they're wrong

• Hmmmm guess I should check the beats.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    http://www.spin.com/articles/drake-nothing-was-the-same-leak-impulsive-reviews/

this basically sums up what I imagine the record to sound like.

tell me if I'm/they're wrong

"he hard-sells his clunkers and corniness like an hammy actor, performing the act of killin' it, even though he isn't. "

That's a great description of Drake in general.

• I've always loved Drake. When people become pop stars and the music is actually sonically interesting/original, i'm in.

I actually worked on this record. He had one of my beats on hold for a long time, but ended up using the vocal sample on it as the intro to another one of his songs.

I got credited and paid, which they didn't need to do, as Drake's dad recognised the sample and they cleared it themselves. They could have told me to go fuck myself in hindsight

Cool story (bro)

• I say 'they didn't need to do' ... Obviously they needed to do it but all sorts of bullshit goes on in hip-hop- beat jacking etc... So they did the right thing

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Which song Utters? I look forward to checking it out. Congrats.

• cai said:
    Which song Utters? I look forward to checking it out. Congrats.

Pound Cake. Thanks!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Drake's one of those immensely (if inexplicably) popular artists where I find myself listening to his records and the musical meringue that makes up so much of them, and thinking to myself, "Is it just me? Am I the only one missing something amazing here..?" Because all I hear is someone who sounds incredibly pleased with himself to the point of irritation.

Hold On, We're Going Home could be amazing, if it didn't completely crap out of pulling the pin and going for full-on ravetastic euphoria. Instead, it just drifts along in a vicodin haze like some dude's idea of what a sunrise-in-Ibiza club track sounds like, except that dude's never been to Ibiza in their lives.

• jake one stays winning

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

• utters said:
    I've always loved Drake. When people become pop stars and the music is actually sonically interesting/original, i'm in.

I actually worked on this record. He had one of my beats on hold for a long time, but ended up using the vocal sample on it as the intro to another one of his songs.

I got credited and paid, which they didn't need to do, as Drake's dad recognised the sample and they cleared it themselves. They could have told me to go fuck myself in hindsight

Cool story (bro)

No that actually IS a cool story. Congrats man!! I don't have anything against the guy himself. I'm glad he's taking care of producers/beat makers properly. But that "vicodin haze" style mixed with the hamming up his performance on the prerequisite hard/street tracks just misses me completely. Happy dude is doing it big and getting his. Canadian pride and all that...

• Double double.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Eyebrowski = unlistenable.

• Gave this a little bit of a listen last night. The fact that I was doing it while driving to the grocery and Target, I think, is part of the problem - on paper, Drake is like the closest rapper I have to my own lifestyle. I know it: I am soft as f. And yet, this album is still too Charmin for a trip to re-up on TP. Earl Sweatshirt was right when he called Drake "grandma nice."

"Own It" might be the most Drake-y song I've ever heard. I got the impression that Drake was with child, like he was pregnant, and he was informing his baby momma (baby daddy?) that "it's yours." He keeps repeating, "Guess whose it is?... It's yoooouuurrss."

"Next time we fuck, I don't wanna fuck I wanna make love /
    Next time we talk I don't just wanna talk I wanna trust."

It has comedic value and the beats are decent. That's about it. I loved "Hold On I'm Coming" when I first heard it but the tune, like many other ones on the album, are like 90 seconds too long.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I was having a discussion with one of the girls in the office about the album this morning. Basically, my position is that this whole "started from the bottom" thing is laughably fraudulent. Not in the sense that Drake is failing to keep it sufficiently real or anything, but in a similar way to how you hear posh English kids complain about the "prejudice" they face because they speak with cut-glass Oxbridge accents (I'm serious about this, by the way - this is actually a thing now). Y'know the kind of thing - "Hey, us privileged kids have it tough too!". And when it's coming from someone who tries to depict what sounds like a fairly routine childhood, at the very worst, as some relentless, exhausting, up-from-nothing odyssey, I simply cannot take it seriously. Dude was on TV for eight years and launched a rap career off the back of it. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I suspect there may be a few other rappers who had no choice but to take the long, hard route to get to a similar level, if they got there at all. Likelihood is, too, that many of their hustles involved a significantly greater degree of risk. So when a big part of your shtick is "you don't know how tough I've had it", I don't expect to hear about that girl who blanked you once in home room and whether she ended up marrying a guy who really cared about her.

My colleague was saying to me that Drake might have struggled just as much as anyone else for all I know, and that's true, I suppose. But, outside of his utterly trouble-free rise to the top, his story seems pretty unremarkable as far as I can see. Drake cultivates this image of someone triumphing against the odds by presenting some fairly mundane things as vast obstacles he was only able to surmount through sheer force of will or self-belief. The dude talks about buying Michael Kors shirts on his ma's debit card. Soak that one up - he borrowed money off his ma to buy some (pretty run-of-the-mill) expensive clothes, in other words. That's something that's worth a lyric in Drake's world. I mean, I don't particularly want him to fabricate shit about chain-snatchin' and rock-slangin' to get the cash for new Jordans or anything like that. I don't really care that much whether he does or not, to be honest. But the thing is, the guy can actually write, and quite evocatively, too - although all that juvenile shit on Pound Cake about making the kids at his high school reunion clear security is fairly typical of the depth of emotions he defaults to. Most of the time, however, he talks as if his idea of real hard times is having to fire one of the gardeners.

And the singing...autotune can clearly do a lot of things, but it can't make Aubrey's voice sound anything other than insipid. Dude makes Jason Derulo sound like Teddy Pendergrass.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    He came up in Forest Hill, an affluent area in Toronto. If you see him saying he came up in Eglinton W, a heavy West Indian area with hits share of poverty and crime problems, it ain't so. FH is the east end of Eglinton W and definitely not the same world once you get past Eglinton W subway station where boutiques turn into dollar stores. Even to come up on the lower end of the bracket in Forest Hill means something like a 2-bedroom condo instead of a sprawling house with about as much land.
    Industry-wise, between Canada's small entertainment pool, where being on TV can put in you in touch with all the music folks you could hope for and his father's connections, his bottom is probably more in the realm of a few cold calls to top execs that people linked him to.

Working hard doesn't equate starting with nothing and no one on your side.

He has one of the most annoying voices and carriages ever. I appreciate his lyrics speak to some people's experiences, and I am probably the last person who can clown bad lyrics, but I can't get through any of it without a few dozen cringes and eye-rolls. He is terrible from every angle.

• bassie said:

He has one of the most annoying voices and carriages ever. I appreciate his lyrics speak to some people's experiences, and I am probably the last person who can clown bad lyrics, but I can't get through any of it without a few dozen cringes and eye-rolls. He is terrible from every angle.

DocMcCoy said:
    posh English kids complain about the "prejudice" they face because they speak with cut-glass Oxbridge accents (I'm serious about this, by the way - this is actually a thing now)

Here in the U.S., it's "rich white Christian males are the most persecuted people in the country!" It's beyond ridiculous.

But anyway, back to hatin' on Aubsey-Waubsey.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Drake is the rap equivalent of 70's/80's smooth listening bands like Ambrosia/Toto -- totally corny, but ultimately soothing, comforting and very listenable. Guaranteed we'll be hearing Aubrey's tunes in dental offices 20 years from now.

• I get what you're saying, but I don't find him listenable at all.

Like, he's extremely grating, not soothing at all. He's not on some "innocuous background noise" to me at all; he's worse than silence, far worse.

Rihanna and him have this tone that make it very hard to ignore or stomach - overdone, nasal, whining.

bassie said:
    Rihanna and him have this tone that make it very hard to ignore or stomach - overdone, nasal, whining.

THANK YOU

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    phongone said:
    Drake is the rap equivalent of...

Saccharine, soft, and completely devoid of worthwhile substance.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bad voice bad lyrics = bad

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'm really feeling Sampha lately.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

Uhg.
    Between Milquetoast and Rotisserie's love-in and Justin Chipspunk Beaver making his muscle carry him up the stairs at the Great Wall, I am feeling real glum about who is representing my beautiful southern Ontario area.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    Uhg.
    Between Milquetoast and Rotisserie's love-in and Justin Chipspunk Beaver making his muscle carry him up the stairs at the Great Wall, I am feeling real glum about who is representing my beautiful southern Ontario area.

Not feeling Biebs on the cover of the Rolling Stone?