Magna Carta Mayback Shoutout

OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Or whatever Jay-z's new album is called.

Listened to it this morning.

Justin Timberlake singing Nirvana?
Rick Ross sounding very staccato...

SO many Maybach shoutouts, too many reminders he's married to Beyonce.

Not impressed.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I didn't mind it on the first pass. Not sure how long I'll have it on rotation though...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Simply serves to emphasise that Jay is now deep into his 90's De Niro/phoning-it-in period.

While we're at it, does anyone really believe it makes a blind bit of difference anymore whether your album is bankrolled by a phone company, a drinks company or a record company? They're probably all owned by the same multinational anyway.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think it's pretty neat that this was sampled/used:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Just saw this on my FB feed:

Jay-Z's new album - First Person Brief Summary

Track 1 - I'm rich and you don't love me.
    Track 2 - I'm rich and I have things.
    Track 3 - I'm not too old to mention keywords like 'stacks','trill' and 'trap'
    Track 4 - Me and Rick are in Europe sometimes, all italian words rhyme.
    Track 5 - A list of things that are white, which I am clearly against.
    Track 6 - I am from NY, I watch Homeland, shouts to the poor, now back to how rich I am.
    Track 7 - I don't fit in with all these other mega-rich people, keyword mention 'twerk'
    Track 8 - I can rap one good verse on this album, watch. Whew, validated.
    Track 9 - I can make you wait till the 9th track for a good single.
    Track 10 - I can short change you with a 51 second song. Hahahahaha
    Track 11 - Beyonce and I are an item. We like to pretend we run from cops.
    Track 12 - I rap while Timberland plays with filters. Uh.
    Track 13 - Nas makes me step up my game.
    Track 14 - You hear I had a kid? Pampers & B.I.G. Samples.
    Track 15 - I am hova, and I don't have to make sense.
    Track 16 - I can leave you thinking you just heard a masterpiece.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    This is gonna give the JayZ-is-Illuminati camp something to talk about ;)

Jay Z is Watching

• 4/10

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Every post in this thread was either informative or entertaining, save Homemade Tortillas- are you a street teamer?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just a note. A 16 year old female from Brampton (Toronto area) did the beat on Crown.

Brampton is on right now... Also NBA 1st round draft pick!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I listened again on the work ride in today and I'm enjoying it more. I like it more than Yeesus. I'm not sure if that's meaningful though.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    DOR said:
    Just a note. A 16 year old female from Brampton (Toronto area) did the beat on Crown.

Brampton is on right now... Also NBA 1st round draft pick!

Thanks! Now I actually have a reason to give this album a listen!

• These ain't raps these are verses from the bible.. as i drive by you.. in a new ZzZzZzZZZz..

miss me with this bullshit..

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Versus" should have been more than an interlude.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    RIP Real hip-hop

1978 - July 2013

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Scott said:
    RIP Real hip-hop

1978 - July 2013

oh god, not this.

This album is aight. At least its rap music.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Scott said:
    RIP Real hip-hop

1978 - July 2013

:beerbang:

TELL EM WHY YOU MAD DOGGIE

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    So, Samsung bought and gave away 1 million units - does this mean it went platinum first day?

I think it does.

JAZ VINDICATED

take that Kanye!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    So, Samsung bought and gave away 1 million units - does this mean it went platinum first day?

How is this different from a label buying up its own release?

Have they actually given away the full million or does Samsung still have some "copies"?

People are all like OMG PROPS TO HOV when he got the RIAA to certify this stunt but I can't see how it is an impressive feat except for, like, money, and stuff?

Cause the music industry is not about money and stuff?

B/w this will never top the stunt Prince pulled with musicology and the riaa

• he'll manage to give away a kevin durant jersey with the purchase of every nets ticket with your samsung glaxaxy.

4YearGraduate said:
    Cause the music industry is not about money and stuff?

Of course, but there was at one point at least a nod towards the exchange of money for goods?

Just so I'm clear this makes it OK for labels large and small to have bought their way to gold and platinum over the years?

You can't return an mp3

Shiiiit. I guess you all were unaware we now get weighted "units" for YouTube plays?

4YearGraduate said:
    Shiiiit. I guess you all were unaware we now get weighted "units" for YouTube plays?

That's more like payola. I can't think about an instance of a company buying the first million "units" of a record, since the days when companies were physically buying copies and dumping them. Maybe I'm out of the digital loop though.

Fwiw, I've heard of this happening less now that we get units for streaming. It's infinitely cheaper to buy YouTube plays through eastern block companies to achieve gold or platinum status now than it is to buy physical digital (if that's even a term but you know what I mean)

Either way, Jay walks with cake and a plaque right out the gate. Seems like smart business. Much better plan than ye had.

4YearGraduate said:
    Much better plan than ye had.

I'm not sure Ye had a plan...

Lol...WWYD

Man I'd be kicking myself if I was him. B/w KISSfm, here in LA home of Ryan seaCrust and all things 13 year old and girl related was playing the JayZ/Timberlake single ALL DAY yesterday.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Lol...WWYD

Man I'd be kicking myself if I was him. B/w KISSfm, here in LA home of Ryan seaCrust and all things 13 year old and girl related was playing the JayZ/Timberlake single ALL DAY yesterday.

Thes radio presets revealed?

Haha.. Never that. 92.3 + Art Laboe eyyday

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    4YearGraduate said:

That's more like payola. I can't think about an instance of a company buying the first million "units" of a record, since the days when companies were physically buying copies and dumping them. Maybe I'm out of the digital loop though.

Samsung spends $4bn a year on marketing, so the $20m they broke off Hov and Roc Nation isn't any kind of a big deal in that context. Less so when you consider that global record sales in 2012 generated $16.5bn.

If all the modern recording artist needs is finance/promotion/distribution, does it matter where those things come from?

Album is beginning to grow on me. At first it seemed like the hype and the star power were doing all the heavy lifting. Still a long, long way from being a great Jay record. Next summer, people will be bumping it as much as they bump Kingdom Come now.

WTT >>>

??