Magna Carta Mayback Shoutout

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Herm said:
    You guys are funny. I can't believe some of you are taking this so serious. IT'S AN OBVIOUS PUBLICITY STUNT. "I just wish he wasnt trying to do it while his album dropped." Ha ha ha ha... C'mon maaaaaan!

With that said, hopefully it'll cause a few of his fans to dig a little deeper. I'd be lying if I said I had in-depth knowledge of the art world, but I know a li'l bit...

Your standards have been historically low.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

bassie said:
    Herm said:
    You guys are funny. I can't believe some of you are taking this so serious. IT'S AN OBVIOUS PUBLICITY STUNT. "I just wish he wasnt trying to do it while his album dropped." Ha ha ha ha... C'mon maaaaaan!

With that said, hopefully it'll cause a few of his fans to dig a little deeper. I'd be lying if I said I had in-depth knowledge of the art world, but I know a li'l bit...

Your constant shitting on what people want to talk about is so tired. Us dummies will take music and art and marketing and identity seriously, you can KIM and talk about whatever it is you find worthy and interesting.

Geez..you are grumpy.

You keep on being miffed by popular rappers and/or trollin' trolls, I'll keep complaining/joking/commenting/bullshitting when I want about what I want. Cool? Cool.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    ppadilha said:
    and I blame James Franco for this Jay-Z performance art thing.

Wait???what?

c'mon, James Franco has been in about 10,000 art pieces over the past couple of years. He's almost single-handedly invented the celebrity performance art piece.

- oh I just got back from the Venice Biennale
    - did you see that piece with James Franco in it?
    - The one where he's covered in gold leaf? Yeah I saw that.
    - Nah, I'm talking about the one where he did the s??ance to communicate with the ghost of Tennessee Williams.

and here's what the art world seems to think of Jay-Z's performance art:
    http://hyperallergic.com/75293/jay-z-raps-at-marina-abramovic-or-the-day-performance-art-died/

that article just reminded me that DJ Spooky is the person I was trying to remember who was deep in the art world.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    ppadilha said:

Wait???what?

c'mon, James Franco has been in about 10,000 art pieces over the past couple of years. He's almost single-handedly invented the celebrity performance art piece.

- oh I just got back from the Venice Biennale
    - did you see that piece with James Franco in it?
    - The one where he's covered in gold leaf? Yeah I saw that.
    - Nah, I'm talking about the one where he did the s??ance to communicate with the ghost of Tennessee Williams.

and here's what the art world seems to think of Jay-Z's performance art:
    http://hyperallergic.com/75293/jay-z-raps-at-marina-abramovic-or-the-day-performance-art-died/

that article just reminded me that DJ Spooky is the person I was trying to remember who was deep in the art world.

I can honestly say I had no idea James Franco did anything of the sort. But then again, the only thing I know about performance art is that I generally think it's really self-indulgent and stupid.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Herm said:
    bassie said:
    Herm said:

Your constant shitting on what people want to talk about is so tired. Us dummies will take music and art and marketing and identity seriously, you can KIM and talk about whatever it is you find worthy and interesting.

Geez..you are grumpy.

You keep on being miffed by popular rappers and/or trollin' trolls, I'll keep complaining/joking/commenting/bullshitting when I want about what I want. Cool? Cool.

Not cool - but as you were.

ppadilha said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    ppadilha said:

Wait???what?

DJ Spooky is still in the game. Youll see him at many openings, but I dont place him in the Hip Hop world.

Franco in the Art world is fine w/ me. He's a Downtown dude. Genres rub elbows all the time.

What does Vincent Gallo say about all this??

Herm said:

he's still trying to sell his sperm for a million dollars.

ppadilha said:
    Herm said:

That's nuts.

batmon said:
    DJ Spooky is still in the game. Youll see him at many openings, but I dont place him in the Hip Hop world.

yeah, he's not a straight up hip hop guy. You're wondering if there's some Wild Style type story that happened in real life? Not talking about graffiti, but like an MC breaking into the art world like Basquiat did?

I know very little about Franco, but I thought he came from that world, and then got into acting?

ppadilha said:
    Yea, well, that's the thing, it reminds me of when people look at a Pollock painting and say "I can do that!"...yea, but you didn't and to go through the motions after you see it has some currency and profile is actually undermining efforts to belong.

DB_Cooper said:

I can honestly say I had no idea James Franco did anything of the sort. But then again, the only thing I know about performance art is that I generally think it's really self-indulgent and stupid.

Some of it is definitely that, same way any artform is, but some of it is much more.
    Abramovic has been around since the 1970s, it is not by accident that she was involved in this given her profile has recently increased with a retrospective, a tour...even appearing on Charlie Rose lol

Her work with her ex, Ulay, is worth checking out as is Rhythm 0, 1974. But be warned about the latter, it's kinda harsh.
    PS. Franco and her are buddies.

ppadilha said:
    batmon said:

yeah, he's not a straight up hip hop guy. You're wondering if there's some Wild Style type story that happened in real life? Not talking about graffiti, but like an MC breaking into the art world like Basquiat did?

Yeah. A DJ or MC having a show. And its not Rapping or Music, or Graf related.

batmon said:
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:

Cats like MF Doom, Kool Keith, Quas, and other "wierdo" MC's have been Quasi-Performance though.

bassie said:
    I know very little about Franco, but I thought he came from that world, and then got into acting?

he's been acting for a while now but the art thing is more recent, after he started taking classes at Columbia and NYU. I've nothing against him doing performance art, I just think he could be a little more discriminating about the projects he takes part in. At first there was a novelty factor about him appearing in something, but now he's almost ubiquitous. I think it ends up trivializing the work, regardless of whether it's a good piece or not.

batmon said:

only one who comes to mind is Aesop Rock, he went to art school but I don't know if he actually paints.

He hasn't kept it up, but Ka's tumblr has some stunning photographs.http://brownsvilleka.tumblr.com/

He also directs and edits his own videos...all of which are beautifully done. It's a genuine interest and skill. I would say art and being a visual artist is clearly a natural part of his life as opposed to something he is trying to prove.

ppadilha said:
    I think it ends up trivializing the work, regardless of whether it's a good piece or not.

Yea, I guess this is also what bugs me so much. It's the same novelty aspect as if Tom Cruise decided to do a rap song.

batmon said:

Cats like MF Doom, Kool Keith, Quas, and other "wierdo" MC's have been Quasi-Performance though.

Talib Kweli went to NYU for experimental theatre.

bassie said:
    batmon said:

Talib Kweli went to NYU for experimental theatre.

LoL

• rootlesscosmo said:
    trying too hard.

just thought id remind y'all, he's from marcy son.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    He hasn't kept it up, but Ka's tumblr has some stunning photographs.http://brownsvilleka.tumblr.com/

He also directs and edits his own videos...all of which are beautifully done. It's a genuine interest and skill. I would say art and being a visual artist is clearly a natural part of his life as opposed to something he is trying to prove.

D-Nice is a smudger these days as well. I get the vague impression from his Twitter that he moves in some reasonably upscale circles, although maybe not of the Fortune 500 variety.

As visual artforms go, though, photography is fairly accessible. The fine art game? Perhaps not so inclusive.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Herm said:
    ppadilha said:
    Herm said:

That's nuts.

I'm not sure if this was a pun or not.

It was. Glad someone acknowledged it!

• so far as performance art goes, i GET IT..... but not as much as i get this:

Herm said:

I figured it would be funnier if I just left it hanging.

ppadilha said:
    Herm said:

Thank u.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Herm said:

WORDPLAY

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You really ain't got shit to say when you are paraphrasing yourself in a beat......and referencing to Post-Black Album shit.......That second beat is a "So Ghetto" knockoff.

The flavors gone as soon as that artificial flavor comes off. Cheap product. No heart behind it. It shows.

And we'll be subjected to another 5 albums of gimmicky/heart-less lyrics right? I mean I'll check for dude's work stilll...but damn. This is horrible.

yuichi said:
    And we'll be subjected to another 5 albums of gimmicky/heart-less lyrics right? I mean I'll check for dude's work stilll...but damn. This is horrible.

Its ok to ignore him.