Nobody Is Listening To Your Phone Calls

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Yeah, their civilian surveillance program could take some hints from Snowden:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Just a quick reminder that Snowden is making his stand for democracy and freedom in a country that throws musicians into prison and enshrines in law the persecution of homosexuals.

there's always some irony in the countries that grant exile to political activists. In the 60s and 70s a ton of Latin American activists were granted political asylum in the United States because they were escaping dictatorships that were propped up by... the United States.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Just a quick reminder that Snowden is making his stand for democracy and freedom in a country that throws musicians into prison and enshrines in law the persecution of homosexuals.

Which is another reason not to believe him when he says he's doing these things for "freedom".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yes.

Because this isn't about the illegal activities of the United States.
    It's about Edward Snowden and don't forget it.

:eyeball:

Bon Vivant said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Which is another reason not to believe him when he says he's doing these things for "freedom".

he's been offered asylum in Bolivia and Venezuela (and maybe Ecuador?) after Evo Morales' plane wasn't allowed to fly over some European countries because they thought Snowden may have been on board, but the fact the US revoked his passport makes it almost impossible for him to leave Russia. I don't think it was own choice to be stuck there.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Uh, how did this turn into an examination of one pawns motives and hypocrisies when there's much larger issues involved?

skel said:
    Uh, how did this turn into an examination of one pawns motives and hypocrisies when there's much larger issues involved?

hypocrisies is how.

ppadilha said:

he's been offered asylum in Bolivia and Venezuela (and maybe Ecuador?) after Evo Morales'plane wasn't allowed to fly over some European countries because they thought Snowden may have been on board, but the fact the US revoked his passport makes it almost impossible for him to leave Russia. I don't think it was own choice to be stuck there.

He's not stuck there.

He can come back here.

And to address Laser, it sure is about Snowden.

He made it about him with his presser, and his "interview" with Glen Greenwald, and his proclamations that he's some sort of altruistic figure, seeking to merely shine light on a dark corner. He's done that, and now he hides like a coward asking the Russians(!!!), who kill journalists, and imprison musicians, for help.

He's accused of serious crimes (which he admitted to committing) , and he's done harm to this country (he's also done some good by encouraging debate about the NSA) He needs to answer for that. Who knows? Maybe he'll be found not guilty.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Maybe he can leak some Russki secrets and see how Putin deals with it.

• Horseleech said:

I came here for the rollicking camaraderie, but I stay for the ethnic slurs.

Jean-ClaudeBanDamned said:
    Horseleech said:

Except that it refers to a country and not an ethnicity.

And if you came here for the camaraderie, you failed pretty miserably.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    If you have been searching Google for certain unnamed culinary devices and certain unnamed scholastic accessories one "packs" on their "back", then you are in trouble, mister.

• Horseleech said:
    Horseleech said:

Russians are indeed an ethnic group, despite your uninformed opinion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians

I would hate to have Russians picketing your NYC shops due to your Riley Cooper-esque inability to control your bigoted utterings but if it happens you earned it the old fashioned way. Big oops on your part, huh?

b/w

The camaraderie line was a very good joke but I'm not surprised you didn't appreciate it. You only seem to dig your own jokes. It's a weird and fascinating character flaw.

Good day, sir! I say, good day!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Horseleech said:

Russians are indeed an ethnic group, despite your uninformed opinion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians

I would hate to have Russians picketing your NYC shops due to your Riley Cooper-esque inability to control your bigoted utterings but if it happens you earned it the old fashioned way. Big oops on your part, huh?

b/w

The camaraderie line was a very good joke but I'm not surprised you didn't appreciate it. You only seem to dig your own jokes. It's a weird and fascinating character flaw.

Russians picketing a dude's shop for using "Russki"?!

LOL!!!

You're adorable.

Horseleech said:
    Horseleech said:

b/w

Hardly. It can refer to the country or the ethnic group, and since we're talking state secrets here it's pretty obvious (to most people anyway) which usage is in effect.

And who's laughing at their own jokes?

Horseleech said:

And who's laughing at their own jokes?

I hope bon vivant is.
    SMH.

Bon Vivant said:
    ppadilha said:

he's been offered asylum in Bolivia and Venezuela (and maybe Ecuador?) after Evo Morales'plane wasn't allowed to fly over some European countries because they thought Snowden may have been on board, but the fact the US revoked his passport makes it almost impossible for him to leave Russia. I don't think it was own choice to be stuck there.

He's not stuck there.

He can come back here.

And to address Laser, it sure is about Snowden.

He made it about him with his presser, and his "interview" with Glen Greenwald, and his proclamations that he's some sort of altruistic figure, seeking to merely shine light on a dark corner. He's done that, and now he hides like a coward asking the Russians(!!!), who kill journalists, and imprison musicians, for help.

He's accused of serious crimes (which he admitted to committing) , and he's done harm to this country (he's also done some good by encouraging debate about the NSA) He needs to answer for that. Who knows? Maybe he'll be found not guilty.

This is not about Snowden.
    It is about Jennifer Aniston.
    She made it about her by going on the tv talk shows talking about her wedding and not wearing clothes.

Yes he could come back here.
    But this administration has a history of torturing leakers.
    So he is stuck in Russia, he can not leave the country with out risking his life.

But Snowden is only an issue for people who want to avoid talking about real issues.
    The real issue is a bunch of formally liberal people who think the government spying on it's own citizens is a good thing.

Unhappy With U.S. Foreign Policy? Pentagon Says You Might Be A 'High Threat'

b/w

Obama is making a total arse of himself and America with his handling of the Snowden leak, then cancelling his summit with Putin. all the while sending drone strikes into Yemen.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

This shit is way too comical to be taken serious... but damn, what delusions of omnipotence and to top it all off they pair it with some soothing spa-drone background music.

They should have given Snowden the Nobel Peace Price (at least he got nominated) then some day this award might mean something again.

3:44

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    any of the apologists ride for us spying on world leader phones and pissing them off in the process?

this thread could use more gifs:

PatrickCrazy said:
    any of the apologists ride for us spying on world leader phones and pissing them off in the process?

Kinda depends on the world leader, doesn't it?

b/w

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/10/nsa-spied-35-world-leaders-after-getting-access-someones-address-book/70910/

A document leaked to The Guardian by Edward Snowden suggests that German chancellor Angela Merkel wasn't the only world leader whose phone was tapped by the NSA. Nearly three dozen leaders might have been tapped after asking American officials for the information in their contact lists.

The paper reports on an October 2006 memo that outlines how the NSA acquired the private contact data:

"In one recent case," the memo notes, "a US official provided NSA with 200 phone numbers to 35 world leaders ??? Despite the fact that the majority is probably available via open source, the PCs [intelligence production centers] have noted 43 previously unknown phone numbers. These numbers plus several others have been tasked."

The memo was intended to encourage more such contact-list-sharing, despite the agency acknowledging that tracking the numbers yielded "little reportable intelligence." The success of finding those 43 unknown numbers, though, "leads S2 [signals intelligence] to wonder if there are NSA liaisons whose supported customers may be willing to share their 'Rolodexes' or phone lists with NSA as potential sources of intelligence," The Guardian quotes the document as saying. "S2 welcomes such information!"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, I'm no Will Hunting when it comes to numbers, but I don't think Obama was President in 2006. Not to say that it isn't wrong, per se, but it does make the Obama administration's claim that it isn't happening (at least not now) more plausible, IMO.

• whores. all of you.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Not sure if I really have to spell it out like this but bugging the EU in Brussels, EU offices in Washington and various European embassies in the US obviously had nothing to do with fighting terrorism but with gaining economic advantages, especially in light of the US-EU free trade agreement.

This is not only very troublesome, unfair and well... illegal behavior coming from a supposed ally but the NSA used and most likely is still using resources for such purposes that otherwise could be used to fight international terrorism.

Bugging the cellphones of various European heads of state is just the icing on the cake.

• if snowden revealed this, how can he not be considered a whistle-blower who has thrown considerable light on certain unethical and possibly illegal conduct that the u.s. government has been engaging in. I'm with frank, give that man a prize.

the Obama apologists/whores should now be into full swing trying to parse the situation and muddy the waters.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    wait guys bush started it and Obama didn't know about it so it's not his fault. next time something happens at work i'm just going to say, hey I didn't know about it can't blame me and hope I have enough cheerleaders to ride for me.

b/w

I really don't need a better example of how ridiculous big government gets if the PRESIDENT of a country is unaware of a spying program that has existed for several years and targeted foreign rulers

PatrickCrazy said:
    wait guys bush started it and Obama didn't know about it so it's not his fault. next time something happens at work i'm just going to say, hey I didn't know about it can't blame me and hope I have enough cheerleaders to ride for me.

b/w

I really don't need a better example of how ridiculous big government gets if the PRESIDENT of a country is unaware of a spying program that has existed for several years and targeted foreign rulers

LOL! Who said he didn't know about?

RIF.

Frank said:
    Not sure if I really have to spell it out like this but bugging the EU in Brussels, EU offices in Washington and various European embassies in the US obviously had nothing to do with fighting terrorism but with gaining economic advantages, especially in light of the US-EU free trade agreement.

This is not only very troublesome, unfair and well... illegal behavior coming from a supposed ally but the NSA used and most likely is still using resources for such purposes that otherwise could be used to fight international terrorism.

Bugging the cellphones of various European heads of state is just the icing on the cake.

Frank, thanks for coming clean.

The earlier argument, if you have nothing to hide why worry, is now being shelved.

Just like EU leaders, American citizens should not have to endure the government tracking their electronic trail.