Robert Downey Jr...?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Vintage, I'm sure dude will make out with you if you ask him to.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    JectWon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    No range whatsoever. He can only play himself.

My thoughts exactly...

There's also this whatever you want to call it:

Why did RDJr steal Herm's outfit?
    Whoever hates on Weird Science needs to be treated to a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    saying "only able to play himself" is playing one's self.

This song instantly sprang to mind for the first time since shortly after the soundtrack to this movie came out.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

"you love thinking about me making out with dudes don't you?"

H. Canal

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

"you love thinking about me making out with dudes don't you?"

H. Canal

^^^IRONMIKESLAP

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My brother was in a movie with him back in the early 70s.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    The_Non said:

Why did RDJr steal Herm's outfit?

HA HA!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Anyone seen 'Two Girls and A Guy' lately? I'm not a fan of the dude, but I remember this being kinda fun because he's suffering throughout... oh, and Heather Graham is in it.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    He's basically like Mel Gibson where he's always playing the same person and you figure it's basically himself. He does a good job with Iron Man. He fell off the map for quite a while with drugs and alcohol so I think he was even playing himself in Less Than Zero. I don't hate him but I'm not seeing movies just because he's in them Couldn't get 20 min into Sherlock Holmes. Never saw Chaplin buts supposedly that the movie he'll convince you he can act.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    the dude is cool
    I haven't enjoyed any movies he's been in though.

:|

but the dude is cool.
    I'd dine with him.

Supposedly dude made a KILLING (playing himself) on the Iron Man movies. I read somewhere that he negotiated a percentage of opening day (week?) ticket sales along with his usual fee for The Avengers movie, which catapulted his payout much MUCH further than the others, which is now making it difficult to get the others to sign up for a sequels. (Or something like that.) Personally, I think he plays himself pretty damn well. I don't always need to see actors' ranges to appreciate their work.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:
    natural born killers.

Dude, nobody's watched that since they last listened to a full Boogiemonsters album.

this made me laugh so hard

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    volumen said:
    Couldn't get 20 min into Sherlock Holmes. .

me neither. totally unwatchable, IMO

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    I never heard anyone reppin those Sherlock joints.

Is he rockin the talkin fast steez in those films?

The first one is OK. I know quite a few Holmes purists who hated Guy Ritchie's take, yet they ride for the Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman BBC rework, so make of that what you will.

He does the fast-talking thing, yeah, but with an English accent, of course. The thing I like about his Holmes is that he plays him as the dissolute dope-fiend Conan Doyle wrote him as, which is something that most screen representations of him tend to avoid.

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    Rishan said:
    volumen said:

Fell asleep. Those movies had a lot of problems. RDJ wasn't one of them. He did a good job, he and Jude Law had a good chemistry. The story was horrible, and for some reason (they must've had a decent budget, right?) it just looked awful. All the backgrounds looked like some intern had been painting them on a tight deadline.

Just boring as hell.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    OptimusLime said:
    Rishan said:
    volumen said:

Fell asleep. Those movies had a lot of problems. RDJ wasn't one of them. He did a good job, he and Jude Law had a good chemistry. The story was horrible, and for some reason (they must've had a decent budget, right?) it just looked awful. All the backgrounds looked like some intern had been painting them on a tight deadline.

Just boring as hell.

Plaese to recommend other films you hate :smirk:

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:
    I never heard anyone reppin those Sherlock joints.

Is he rockin the talkin fast steez in those films?

The first one is OK. I know quite a few Holmes purists who hated Guy Ritchie's take, yet they ride for the Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman BBC rework, so make of that what you will.

He does the fast-talking thing, yeah, but with an English accent, of course. The thing I like about his Holmes is that he plays him as the dissolute dope-fiend Conan Doyle wrote him as, which is something that most screen representations of him tend to avoid.

The only Sherlock Holmes I recognize as Sherlock Holmes, IMO...

All that action movie, pseudo-sci-fi creature fuck shit can take a hike. Jeremy Brett was the man....they stream on netflix btw.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "ain't nobody play you like you play yourself."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    vintageinfants said:
    saying "only able to play himself" is playing one's self.

This song instantly sprang to mind

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Jeremy Brett

And, BITD, Basil Rathbone.

I am generally a Holmes fan, and I think RDJ and Cumberbatch are watchable, but the storylines are just that bit too far fetched. Doyle's genius was making the detective work remarkable, not the crimes themselves.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    Herm said:
    Supposedly dude made a KILLING (playing himself) on the Iron Man movies. I read somewhere that he negotiated a percentage of opening day (week?) ticket sales along with his usual fee for The Avengers movie, which catapulted his payout much MUCH further than the others, which is now making it difficult to get the others to sign up for a sequels. (Or something like that.) Personally, I think he plays himself pretty damn well. I don't always need to see actors' ranges to appreciate their work.

this bothered me a little so i looked into it. apparently it's actually the complete opposite. when RDJ2 found out that his co-stars were being drastically underpaid [$250k to his $80m] he said that he wouldn't sign on unless a raise was given to the other castmates. pretty classy move if you ask me.

apparently the marvel film division is nefarious for drastically underpaying "the talent". apparently terrence howard made more money than downey in the first iron man, and when they realized that he wasn't the bankable name they swapped him out for cheadle, who agreed to do it cheaper.

Herm said:

this bothered me a little so i looked into it. apparently it's actually the complete opposite. when RDJ2 found out that his co-stars were being drastically underpaid [$250k to his $80m] he said that he wouldn't sign on unless a raise was given to the other castmates. pretty classy move if you ask me.

apparently the marvel film division is nefarious for drastically underpaying "the talent". apparently terrence howard made more money than downey in the first iron man, and when they realized that he wasn't the bankable name they swapped him out for cheadle, who agreed to do it cheaper.

That's pretty awesome. I like the guy, seems genuine. Granted, I'm only going off what we all see, but still...

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    JectWon said:

Yes

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Herm said:

I dunno, it would be ever so slightly classier if he didn't need 80 mil to star in a film, which would leave a bit leftover to pay the other actors more.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I liked Two Girls and a Guy quite a bit! Well worth checking out if you enjoy RDJ.

Horseleech said:

I dunno, it would be ever so slightly classier if he didn't need 80 mil to star in a film, which would leave a bit leftover to pay the other actors more.

Yeah, but since he was dealing with a stingy company, why let them continue that practice by giving up his portion of the payout?

Horseleech said:

Yeah, but since he was dealing with a stingy company, why let them continue that practice by giving up his portion of the payout?

Horseleech said:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Herm said:
    Horseleech said:

So the company paying him 80 mil is 'stingy'? I know Marvel is as shady as they come and not hating on dude, but I have a hard time seeing him as any kind of classy hero here. It's easy to take a stand when it doesn't cost you anything.