Robert Downey Jr...?

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Marvel is owned by Disney. Theyve got deep pockets.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Sorry, not sure why that last post went through 3 times. Weird.

Anyways, I see your point and agree to an extent, but I still feel it was a classy move to make them come out of pocket more. He knows damn well they were set to profit a whooooole lot off that movie, might as well bully them into paying his co-workers more.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I fully enjoyed both RDJ Holmes films, mainly due to the performances of and chemistry between RDJ and Jude Law. I'm surprised to see so much hate for them, at least beyond expecting people on here and the internet in general to hate on everything. They are fun movies aimed at a young audience. And I like the thought of kids enjoying Sherlock Holmes movies over Transformers flix. Plenty of "nods to the canon" in them for you purists who prefer the straight adaptations with Jeremy Brett for the BBC, too.

Also, to the more general topic, I think all this "he just plays himself" stuff is pretty bs and sells RDJ short as far as acting ability goes. He makes acting seem effortless and has a distinct personality, but is clearly a talented actor and I feel like the only reason he was able to come back from being a washed-up joke in the 80's/90's to a marquee headliner today is due to that very real talent he possesses. Haters will hate tho. That's what they do.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

Also, to the more general topic, I think all this "he just plays himself" stuff is pretty bs and sells RDJ short as far as acting ability goes. He makes acting seem effortless and has a distinct personality, but is clearly a talented actor and I feel like the only reason he was able to come back from being a washed-up joke in the 80's/90's to a marquee headliner today is due to that very real talent he possesses. Haters will hate tho. That's what they do.

This^.
    I have not seen much of his post rehab work, not much of his prerehab for that matter.
    But the highest compliment you can pay a movie actor is to say they are so natural in the role that it doesn't seem like acting.
    In other words, they are playing themselves.
    I would be unconvincing on screen playing myself.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    lol @ at millionaire movie stars not getting paid as well as other millionaire movies stars.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    bear in mind, i'm definitely never going to call the guy a saint or a martyr..... i just thought it was a classy move in an industry not known for that by a millionaire who doesn't need to give any kind of fuck about anyone else.

that said, i figured a thread started by someone else titled "robert downey jr...?" was the perfect place to share that little tidbit of info.