musicians who were down with rapp from the early days

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
were there any r&b/rock/etc artists who endorsed rap pre-rundmc? off the top of my head i can think of a few who disliked it, but can't think of any of the old guard who liked/understood it.

mtume thought it was musical necrophilia, george clinton said he didn't like it from the jump but thought it had a future as a genre, prince hated it; bassline or no baseline, etc.

who stood up for it?

Comments

• Patrick Adams / Peter brown ?

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    I'm sure Gil was with it.

And The Last Poets.

As far as rockers I never hear about it. Blondie?

• ^^^^ yeah, I was gonna say???. Blondie? Tom Tom Club?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The Clash were onboard pretty early, by 1979 or 80.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Teh Clash, muhfuggas

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

And The Clash

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Herbie Hancock?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, the clash. had flash and them open when they played nyc. produced a record for futura. mixshow dj's were playing bootleg dubs of their records.

herbie yeah, but did he ever dabble with rap again after rockit?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    With hindsight, this dollar-bin classic sounds like a well-intentioned, if clumsy, attempt at a rap record. This was 1981, so...

I definitely recall reading at least one interview with Lou Reed in the mid 80s where he spoke about how he was digging a lot of the electro-rap like Divine Sounds' "Do Or Die Bed Sty" and all that stuff. Obviously he changed his tune once sampling technology became advanced enough for rappers to actually jack his shit.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Does Malcolm McLaren count as a musician?

actually Trevor Horn does count

• doug wimbish et al.

later on, ronnie jordan, etc..

btw- gil scott-heron was never a major proponent of hip-hop, or at least not in the way "music journalists" expected him to be. he derided the production as "tricknology" and even wrote an ominous song about what he percieved was wrong with the lyrical content called "message to the messengers". about 10-15 years before his death, every interview he did included a question about his status as the "godfather of hip-hop" to which he usually deflected with self-deprecating humour. if he was pressed he would name spearhead and common as acts he had respect for...

• tony joe white is 'bout it.

peace, stein. . .

• sylvia

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    paul_funyun said:
    sylvia

wasn't the Sugar Hill house band made up of Stang acts?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Thomas Dolby

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Max Roach

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Adam Ant? From 1981...

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Millie Jackson was on board in 1980.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    from 1978, guess you could call it rock rap...

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Disco-soul singer Ronnie Jones recorded whatever was in style at the time. Also covered Don't Turn Around (The Kommissar).

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Over here in Germany, one of THE most famous bands ever "Die Toten Hosen" (translates to something like "The Dead Trousers") jumped on the "The Clash" bandwaggon and recorded this strange piece of music with Fab 5 Freddy in 84...he called himself Freddy Love or something along those lines and he even sang the Chorus in German...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Dr John.

Joe Bataan

Arthur Russel through his Sleeping Bag Records label

Cerrone

Plastic Bertrand

Captain Sensible

Ian Dury and the Blockheads

• Fatback Band - King Tim III (1979)

• Not GSH. His famous reply when asked about being the Godfather of Rap was that he didn't feel like he could be held responsible for the genre.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's kinda an odd question IMHO but..

Not exactly rap, but New Order flew out to NY after listening to Planet Rock to try and hook up with its creators. Unfortunately they didn't believe Africa Bambaataa was actually a real person so they just met with Arthur Baker, the other name listed on the release. Kinda a shame really, as a New Order / Bambaataa collaboration would've been interesting.

• New Order were always ahead of their time but much more House/Electro influenced.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    eric burdon rocked the mic back in the 60s

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Bob Dylan guested on a Kurtis Blow Track (Street Rock or something like that), but i think that was more 86 or 87.
    Steppenwolf guested on a Furious Five remake of one of his songs (Magic Carpet Ride maybe?), but i think that was also later 80s after the RUNDMC/AEROSMITH thing.

• paul weller the cantankerous shithead. from 84
    and the soul/rap political thing with the same rapper

phil dabbled