Not one thread/post about Dorner?!

124»

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    My whole point of my "bullshit going on" is that I find it interesting that when you are a white kid and assault a movie theater and shoot dozens of people our concern seems to be to get the individual a psychological examination and make sure he recieves due process but when a black dude shoots some cops we hunt him and burn him alive.

Hard to know if they would have treated a white cop in this situation any different. But I do agree. White kid shots up a place and it's "he's unstable, put him in an institution and find out what video games he was playing!"

At the same time the DC Snipers were black and they took them alive and got a trial. They even gave the kid a bit of a break because he was abused by the adult so they saw him as brain washed. He's still never getting out, but he didn't get the death penalty. But that was also a completely different police force. And they weren't ex-cops targeting cops.

I'm pretty sure black cop shooing cops = kill on site.

Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    What a fun thread.

Hey, find some crazy super rare and post the MP3 along with the amazing story of it's discovery and we'll move on!

volumen said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Rockadelic said:

There are literally 100's of cops and ex-cops in L.A. who have sued the city of L.A. and won millions of dollars while exposing them and their abusive actions.....none of those dudes are dead.

Please cite one example of cops suing the LAPD and winning millions of dollars. Just one. I rest my case.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/04/lapd-traffic-ticket-quota.html

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22091156/former-lapd-sergeant-awarded-nearly-3m-retaliation-lawsuit

Need I go on?

I'm surprised Vinyl hadn't ever heard of a case. Their are plenty of times where ex-cop and civilians have won money. For me though it just proves even more that the LAPD are racist and violent (it's been proven in court). Yes, the victims deserved justice, but as far as long term it's just a slap on the wrist for the LAPD. They probably laugh their ass off..."The tax payers just payed our fine!!!!! Whoo hooo!" Really, one or 2 cops might get fired and the huge settlement/judgement gets paid by the tax payers. Really no justice what so ever.

If the LAPD wasn't so knee deep in corruption they might have the ability to fire an officer, he would get jail time for the crime he committed (and make no mistake the LAPD are committing crimes) and force a civil case against him for any possible monitory compensation for the victim. When a civilian kills some one he goes to jail and the victims get little to nothing, when a cops violates your rights he often keeps his job or is just fired and you get a million in tax dollars that really need to be going some where else.

I'm not saying the victims don't deserve justice. I'm just saying the tax payers shouldn't be paying the legal fees and fines of a corrupt police force.

Also, quite often these police wore wires and had hours of audio to back up their point. The average citizen just gets in a he said cops said argument. Usually the cops wins. Not only that but many people in poorer neighborhoods just live with it and have no recourse at all. They live in places where an ambulance won't even go let alone a lawyer or a reporter.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    What a fun thread.

Yeah it's a long way from Ponch and Jon, that's for sure.

Rockadelic said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    motown67 said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Rockadelic said:
    ...the Black Panthers were called "militant" but could have just as easily been called terrorists.

I'm surprised this went unchallenged. It's about as simplistic and misleading as a characterization of the Black Panthers can get.

If I called the Tea Party terrorists you'd zing me for it, but it wouldn't be any more inaccurate than your comment.

I think you're getting it twisted. Rock was saying that the Panthers could have easily been labeled terrorists, not that he thinks that they are.

Maybe you're right, but in the context I don't know. He wrote:

In hindsight we might call Manson a terrorist...the Black Panthers were called "militant" but could have just as easily been called terrorists. There are some organized "hate groups" that by definition are terrorists and when they break the law they are charged with "hate crimes"

Manson's specific motive - according to Bugliosi's interpretation and some evidence - was to start a race war. So the terrorism label could well be applied to him. I don't know exactly what his take is on the Panthers, who had a very complicated history.

If you are using the Websters definition of Terrorist and Terrorism....Terrorist - A person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims / Terrorism -The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims. I can see where someone might call the Panthers terrorists as they did use violence and were in pursuit of political aims....if you are claiming their violence was in self defense I can't/won't argue that point....certainly they fit the bill more than Adam Lanza does, which is a claim my post was in response to.

Yea, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I don't think Dorner was a terrorist. He had a specific vendetta against his ex-coworkers and law enforcement in general. "Going postal" is now a common term for this kind of thing. Labeling people terrorist is just a easy way for them to be hunted with extreme prejudice.

The Panther's were in no way a terrorist group, but in today's world they probably would be branded as such so the government could dismantle them quicker. The Panther's were a civil rights group with great social programs who supported the second amendment. The fact that things spiraled out of control with their ongoing battle with the powers that be is a whole different story. You can point fingers on both sides of that battle.

White guys says "you can take my gun from my cold dead hand" and he's a patriot, black guy says it and he's a menace.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    My whole point of my "bullshit going on" is that I find it interesting that when you are a white kid and assault a movie theater and shoot dozens of people our concern seems to be to get the individual a psychological examination and make sure he recieves due process but when a black dude shoots some cops we hunt him and burn him alive.
    I'm pretty sure, skin color aside, if someone has a gun pointed at law enforcement and already is suspected of killing several people, those upstanding law enforcement agents are probably going to try to shoot them before they also get killed.

There's a slight difference between:

After the rampage, Holmes was confronted by armed police, the official said. He surrendered, telling police he had explosives on him. The police stripped the suspect naked and found none, the official said. In later interrogation, Holmes told authorities his home was booby-trapped, according to the official.

After Dorner fled the Reynolds' cabin, he moved to another cabin in the area where he apparently engaged in the shootout with police before the building was consumed by flames.

Pretty sure if batman doggie shot at cops he would probably be dead too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There is one thing that every Los Angeles Police Officer of every race, creed, color, age and tenure have in common.

They are all represented by the same Union.

PatrickCrazy said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I'm pretty sure, skin color aside, if someone has a gun pointed at law enforcement and already is suspected of killing several people, those upstanding law enforcement agents are probably going to try to shoot them before they also get killed.

There's a slight difference between:

After the rampage, Holmes was confronted by armed police, the official said. He surrendered, telling police he had explosives on him. The police stripped the suspect naked and found none, the official said. In later interrogation, Holmes told authorities his home was booby-trapped, according to the official.

After Dorner fled the Reynolds' cabin, he moved to another cabin in the area where he apparently engaged in the shootout with police before the building was consumed by flames.

Pretty sure if batman doggie shot at cops he would probably be dead too.

There have been cases of people shooting at cops and still being taken alive. The cops will even say "he's trying to get us to kill him and we don't want to do that". In this case they gave Dorner what he wanted because it's what the LAPD wanted too.

volumen said:
    volumen said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Rockadelic said:

There are literally 100's of cops and ex-cops in L.A. who have sued the city of L.A. and won millions of dollars while exposing them and their abusive actions.....none of those dudes are dead.

Please cite one example of cops suing the LAPD and winning millions of dollars. Just one. I rest my case.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22091156/former-lapd-sergeant-awarded-nearly-3m-retaliation-lawsuit

Need I go on?

I'm surprised Vinyl hadn't ever heard of a case. Their are plenty of times where ex-cop and civilians have won money. For me though it just proves even more that the LAPD are racist and violent (it's been proven in court). Yes, the victims deserved justice, but as far as long term it's just a slap on the wrist for the LAPD. They probably laugh their ass off..."The tax payers just payed our fine!!!!! Whoo hooo!" Really, one or 2 cops might get fired and the huge settlement/judgement gets paid by the tax payers. Really no justice what so ever.

If the LAPD wasn't so knee deep in corruption they might have the ability to fire an officer, he would get jail time for the crime he committed (and make no mistake the LAPD are committing crimes) and force a civil case against him for any possible monitory compensation for the victim. When a civilian kills some one he goes to jail and the victims get little to nothing, when a cops violates your rights he often keeps his job or is just fired and you get a million in tax dollars that really need to be going some where else.

I'm not saying the victims don't deserve justice. I'm just saying the tax payers shouldn't be paying the legal fees and fines of a corrupt police force.

Also, quite often these police wore wires and had hours of audio to back up their point. The average citizen just gets in a he said cops said argument. Usually the cops wins. Not only that but many people in poorer neighborhoods just live with it and have no recourse at all. They live in places where an ambulance won't even go let alone a lawyer or a reporter.

Since 2005 The LAPD has paid out just under $150 million in legal settlements to citizens and $18 million to current and ex-police officers.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    volumen said:
    There have been cases of people shooting at cops and still being taken alive.
    Wow, really bro?

I don't understand what's so hard to get about this. If someone is unarmed and surrenders, chances are they won't get shot. If someone is shooting at someone who is armed, there's probably a higher chance that they get get some return fire. If you get shot, there's a good chance you might die.

volumen said:
    volumen said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Rockadelic said:

Need I go on?

Since 2005 The LAPD has paid out just under $150 million in legal settlements to citizens and $18 million to current and ex-police officers.

Once again proving my point. The lapd had cost the California taxpayers a lot of money and have repeatedly been found guilty of crimes against society and yet they are still at large. If the lapd were a person they would have been burned in a cabin a long time ago.

PatrickCrazy said:
    volumen said:
    There have been cases of people shooting at cops and still being taken alive.
    Wow, really bro?

I don't understand what's so hard to get about this. If someone is unarmed and surrenders, chances are they won't get shot. If someone is shooting at someone who is armed, there's probably a higher chance that they get get some return fire. If you get shot, there's a good chance you might die.

I totally understand this. What I'm talking about is how the cops just started shooting up trucks with no intention on taking him alive. Not to mention the radio chatter that indicates the cops planned to burn the cabin. It's one thing to get into a firefight and defend yourself it's another thing to plan ahead to kill some one.

volumen said:

Once again proving my point. The lapd had cost the California taxpayers a lot of money and have repeatedly been found guilty of crimes against society and yet they are still at large. If the lapd were a person they would have been burned in a cabin a long time ago.

If the LAPD had not paid out any money in settlements it would prove your point that "The average citizen just gets in a he said cops said argument. Usually the cops wins."

Of course when the LAPD do pay out $150 million that proves your point too.

And I'm gonna bet that if they paid out a Gazillion Dollars....yep, that would have proved your point too.

Rockadelic said:
    volumen said:

If the LAPD had not paid out any money in settlements it would prove your point that "The average citizen just gets in a he said cops said argument. Usually the cops wins."

Of course when the LAPD do pay out $150 million that proves your point too.

And I'm gonna bet that if they paid out a Gazillion Dollars....yep, that would have proved your point too.

So your saying the mentally handicap person who was kicked in the face and never got any justice is an anomaly? At best it's 50/50 and even that's unlikely. Yea, they've paid a lot. But it's all in big chuck like $3mill settlements. So $150 million doesn't add up to that many cases compared to the endless complaints. Filing a complaints gets you no where fast. You pretty much have to have large amounts of fiscal evidence.
    One of the cases you linked to was a cop wearing a wire collecting large amounts of audio. So that' pretty much a slam dunk. The daily rough abuse on the public never stops. You could spent a week just watching videos on you tube of officers beating people. Just because the do have to pay up sometimes in no way justifies the stuff they get away with. Pepper spraying people and beating them is common place now. Mainly at public rally's where the civilians are only armed with signs. We're talking about a police force that used to (and probably still does) have a murder for hire racket.

The police and Dorner are both culpable in this event. The are both out of control and decided to have a shoot out on public streets. If the police had only shot when he was shooting at them that's one thing. But the cops shooting innocent vehicles that hadn't engaged the cops in any way is batshit crazy. I wonder how much those shooting will raise you settlement number? I bet by at least $5 million.