The 'Here My Dear' of Hip Hop?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
What it is? Is there such a thang?

Artist/s should have a "What's Goin On"( or at least a well recognized album) in their catalog.

The slept on album that gained appreciation years later. Its wasnt even a critics choice type joint.

Cats use it as a badge of "in the know" later on.

Yall can set the parameters/rules/meaning.

Just wondering.
When Here, My Dear was released in the end of 1978, it was panned by consumers and critics alike, who called the album "bizarre" and "un-commercial".

Comments

• I honestly think Day's new album will fall in this category.

that said - i think an argument could be made for blowout comb.
    rcwinkly

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    I honestly think Day's new album will fall in this category.

that said - i think an argument could be made for blowout comb.

I'm saying Common's "Like Water for Chocolate"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

either of these get my vote

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Musically, I wouldn't really try to answer because I feel there is no equal, and at the same time, endless rap releases that can be described as above.

After that, Here, My Dear's most unique and compelling aspect is the personal back-story and the only thing I can think of that would compare is Dilla's Donuts. There are a million stories tied to every record recorded, but as far THE story of its inception and creation, this is what comes to mind.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

This wasnt a hit?

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    Buhloone Mindstate? That was the first thing to come to mind. Perhaps not shrugged off enough at the time though.

But maybe even moreso, those late-period Native Tongues joints...

Stakes Is High, Labcabincalifornia, The Love Movement

Not that they're universally hailed as masterpieces now, but they get brought up relatively often in certain quarters as each artists greatest work and only seem to be gaining in stature. Possibly by people who discovered said artists later on, and maybe find the earlier albums too "overrated" or "corny", thus filling the "sets the listener apart criteria" not unlike "What's Going On" vs "Here, My Dear"). Also, the Dilla involvement adds a certain sense of mystique.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

either of these get my vote

Ahh... beat me to it!

bassie said:
    Musically, I wouldn't really try to answer because I feel there is no equal, and at the same time, endless rap releases that can be described as above.

After that, Here, My Dear's most unique and compelling aspect is the personal back-story and the only thing I can think of that would compare is Dilla's Donuts. There are a million stories tied to every record recorded, but as far THE story of its inception and creation, this is what comes to mind.

Good Call...its fits the backstory arc, but all the albums listed so far werent shunned from jump.

I dont think a simple "comeback album" fits the bill like Mama Said Knock You Out.

What was the call on Scarface The Fix....was he kinda "not hot" at the time?

Plaese to refresh my memory.

• De La's "De La Soul is Dead"
    Jungle Brothers "Done By the Forces of Nature"
    PUTS "Stepfather"

eh maybe not Stepfather. It was pretty well-received when it came out.

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

This wasnt a hit?

Sorta. Definitely with already Southern minded listeners. But not so much with the Crooklyn contingent of the time. Since then though, universal love.

As far as something that wasn't a hit at all, but has been dredged up as a classic in recent years...

Some other candidates...

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

This wasnt a hit?

Sorta. Definitely with already Southern minded listeners. But not so much with the Crooklyn contingent of the time. Since then though, universal love.

I was in a music store when this dropped and I overheard a two teenage Brooklyn girls talmbout this is their favorite group.
    I was kinda amazed, since they only had maybe 2 single out and the album was fairly fresh.

I could see where kids liked their shit, but yeah "seasoned" listeners in NYC didnt jump on Outkast immediately.

• St. Cornelius said:
    De La's "De La Soul is Dead"
    Jungle Brothers "Done By the Forces of Nature"

Huh? Those records got massive critical positivity.

• Critical, yeah... but sales wise?

Oh and "My Field Trip to Planet 9" was the dope stuff for sure.

Okay re-read the original post and yeah, I guess maybe those albums don't fit the bill since they were critical darlings.

Then there's this one...

• HarveyCanal said:
    Then there's this one...

I don't even wanna talk about it. It makes my blood boil.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Then there's this one...

this could be it. backstory, subroc's death, casual rap listeners wouldn't know it at the time.

SIRUS said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Then there's this one...

this could be it. backstory, subroc's death, casual rap listeners wouldn't know it at the time.

yeah....

Did this even come out commercially?

Wasnt it held back and bootlegged and then released?

• batmon said:
    SIRUS said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Then there's this one...

yeah....

Not commercially, no...

Doom gave me an Elektra promotional tape with track names and graphics on it that came in a generic promo tape sleeve back in 94, so I know they exist.

There was a video for What a Ni%$e Know? that never saw the light of day too.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Then there's this one...

yeah....

yeah, so it dosen't exactly fit the mold. as far as i know the only offical thing from the album was a 12-inch that was bootlegged awhile before the album boots started popping up.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    The Love Movement, although I guess we're not there yet
    the_dL

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Dante said:
    The Love Movement, although I guess we're not there yet

i don't think we'll ever be there.

• My vote goes to Buhloone. Although, if you read any interviews with De La, they basically disown that album.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    My vote goes to Buhloone. Although, if you read any interviews with De La, they basically disown that album.

While i posted that one and woudl tend to agree with you, this wiki entry seems to show some critical love for that album in its time, which DQs it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buhloone_Mindstate

LABCABINCALIFORNIA, however, had much more tepid reviews:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labcabincalifornia

This is assuming that WIKI and the internet can be trusted to truly represent what the critical response was to a record at the time.
    Its either this or the collective-mind-think-memory of the 'Strut.
    Which do you find more reliable?

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    Almost forgot about this one:

Nas says this is it. I haven't heard it though.

Buhloone aint it. Folks were still riding w/ De La after De La Is Dead. It wasnt dismissed at all.

• Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Then there's this one...

yeah....

Not commercially, no...

Doom gave me an Elektra promotional tape with track names and graphics on it that came in a generic promo tape sleeve back in 94, so I know they exist.

There was a video for What a Ni%$e Know? that never saw the light of day too.

Damn, there was a video for "What a Ni**a Know"? I just remember copping the maxi-single and lovin it. There was I believe an article in the Source around the 93-94 time frame on DOOM aka Zeb Love X about the album and what happened to his brother Subroc. He stated how he "felt like a piece of shit".

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

• LokoOne said:

Oh shit, BINGO