JT finally (finally!) bringing sexy back

Comments

• Junior said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I recall the strut's collective fawning over the first album.

people still listen to that one?

sounded fake to me.

I will ride for Cry Me A River till the day I die and I think the strut fawning peaked when My Love was leaked but I'll happily hold my hands up and admit I haven't revisited either in five years. To be fair it's not really a genre that in general encourages revisiting years later.

The fake point and James questioning of JT's carnal vibes are both interesting points. I guess that I never really treated him as a serious artist in that manner - more a frontman for some really great, for want of a better word, crossover, pop music. Sort of like a male Madonna.

Madonna never gave you authentic carnal vibes? I need a different example for your final point.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Dude's rap-sheet is Disney Club, Boy Band and Britney Spears canoodler. And have we forgotten that "Brain" Afro?
    To me, these things will always restrictively frame whatever masculinity he has.

I have no hatt for dude. He sings, he dance, he do all of that. And I liked him in Alpha Dog, that was a step up. But he's so far from the dark side, he's the Luke Skywalker of Soul. Dude's yearbook must have him captioned with "Least likely to piss in a face."

bassie said:
    Where the fuck are the adult men? (who don't pee on people)

Nobody's perfect b/w
    that was never proved b/w
    let us not go there

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    Junior said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

sounded fake to me.

I will ride for Cry Me A River till the day I die and I think the strut fawning peaked when My Love was leaked but I'll happily hold my hands up and admit I haven't revisited either in five years. To be fair it's not really a genre that in general encourages revisiting years later.

The fake point and James questioning of JT's carnal vibes are both interesting points. I guess that I never really treated him as a serious artist in that manner - more a frontman for some really great, for want of a better word, crossover, pop music. Sort of like a male Madonna.

Madonna never gave you authentic carnal vibes? I need a different example for your final point.

I didn't realise I was being graded on this. Can i go back and revise my introductory paragraph as well?

Anyway, for the little thought I put into it, the male Madonna description was more about the authenticity of the singer/genre than the carnal vibes.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Junior said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

sounded fake to me.

I will ride for Cry Me A River

And for What Goes Around.

• Junior said:
    CinisterCee said:
    Junior said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

sounded fake to me.

I didn't realise I was being graded on this. Can i go back and revise my introductory paragraph as well?

Anyway, for the little thought I put into it, the male Madonna description was more about the authenticity of the singer/genre than the carnal vibes.

Oh I see. I take Madonna slightly more serious than that, but I know what you mean now.

I remember a co-worker saying she thought JT "oozed sex" and I couldn't agree less, but I liked his two CDs' production.

• I also thought Timbaland and Timberlake were trying to "do Prince" and I knew I was right when ex-NPG were his touring band.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    bassie said:

And for What Goes Around.

Good god yes, I'd entirely forgotten about that one.

[quote author="Junior" date=1358366424
    Oh I see. I take Madonna slightly more serious than that, but I know what you mean now.

Yeah wasn't meant as a dig as such as I suspect I take Madonna ( the first couple of albums at least) more seriously than most of the strut.

• This page is absolutely killing me this morning. A partial list of hits:

- It's Fauntleroy, apparently. Wheels within wheels.

- Like MJ, he always sounds like he'd rather be somewhere dancing fast.

- Jeremih's record brought both the heat and the wet

- Where the fuck are the adult men? (who don't pee on people)

- And have we forgotten that "Brain" Afro?

- Dude's yearbook must have him captioned with "Least likely to piss in a face."

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I still listen to "Chop Me Up" sometimes, if only for Three 6 Mafia alluding to some adult contempt King of Pop

• hogginthefogg said:

pls to essplain?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    hogginthefogg said:

pls to essplain?

Me & Ross were talking on that Cocaine 80s thread about James Fauntleroy and some of the people he's written material for, neither of us being aware at that point that this new JT is one of his, rather than something Pharrell wrote with Robin Thicke.

• Got it.

Aloe Blacc is probably the closest - he is sexy and grown....but the woman-is-evil video for Your Love is Killing Me did take away some of his appeal.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    Aloe Blacc is probably the closest - he is sexy and grown....but the woman-is-evil video for Your Love is Killing Me did take away some of his appeal.

Distant Lover-esque, doesn't pee-pee on people, and probably has a wack album.

He's delicious to look at but zero heat. And it's hard to say off one song, one video and that bad suit and silly bow tie.

Jai Paul is the exception, and even Jeremih to a degree, but it's hard to avoid the bad styling and corny video concepts with a lot of these guys because they are so out there.

I would add Raheem DeVaughn to the list of sexually convincing, but need to stress that the softcore video he did with the career woman on the dresser did not help his case at all.

• whateverhappenedto jaheim?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    whateverhappenedto jaheim?

Google Jaheim Suit

hogginthefogg said:
    james said:
    I have the same problem with JT that I have with The-Dream: I do not find him convincing as a sexual dude.

And now we wait with bated breath* for a list of sexually convincing dudes.

"

Chris Brown.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(joking?)

bassie said:

(joking?)

Lol. Nah. Chris Brown is an oversexed maniac with a deep
    fan base and dedicated groupies.

Oh yes, I know it - remember tweets from women who were more than willing to take a beating from him? cripes. Still! No way!
    Whoever called him a smurf after he did that by-rote, 5th grade school-picture outfit apology - they hit it right on the head. Aside from the obvious problems of being on the wrong side of his hand, I don't get the attraction at all. He oozes as much heat as an apple core. He's not even good looking!

edit - I guess Trey Songz is another obvious candidate - I also don't see it in him.

Trey Songz is a great call. I dont get what the big deal is with that kid but he can do no wrong in the eyes of his Stans. Chris Brown's appeal is no different than Bobby Brown in his prime.

I couldn't see Bobby for all the real estate occupied by Rakim :roar:

But yea, I hear you.

• Chris Brown is one of the goofiest-looking-dudes-ever-to-successfully-convince-women-that-he's-handsome.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    edpowers said:
    Sounds like a Robin Thicke/Pharrell demo.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Chris Brown is one of the goofiest-looking-dudes-ever-to-successfully-convince-women-that-he's-handsome.

If he couldn't dance, he'd be lucky to be as big as Mario Winans.

• Ursher?

• My wife votes Raphael Saadiq (Oakland biases revealed).

• DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Chris Brown is one of the goofiest-looking-dudes-ever-to-successfully-convince-women-that-he's-handsome.

even the dance thing is kinda overblown, no?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

even the dance thing is kinda overblown, no?

I understand how you might say that considering your side gig in cirque du soleil but to most people he is still a pretty great dancer