College graduates should not have to...

124»

Comments

• PatrickCrazy said:
    All the people I work with and know that did either Wharton undergrad or MBA are fucking brilliant, humble, and to say the very least, hard working dudes.

that's funny because most of the people I meet w/ MBAs are expert at one thing, blowing smoke up ppls asses and talking about very basic concepts in language that is only suited for powerpoint presentations

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    All the people I work with and know that did either Wharton undergrad or MBA are fucking brilliant, humble, and to say the very least, hard working dudes.

that's funny because most of the people I meet w/ MBAs are expert at one thing, blowing smoke up ppls asses and talking about very basic concepts in language that is only suited for powerpoint presentations
    I don't think anyone said that MBAs provide anyone with superior knowledge of anything. I'm just saying the Wharton bros I work with are smart, arguably at the top of their field, and do not exhibit any of the characteristics mentioned earlier. I think getting an MBA is an absolute waste of time but unfortunately it's still required professionally in some industries. MBA programs are much more aligned to what Tony was mentioning and I would attribute that more to the product of their work environment prior to MBA vs the program itself. Undergrad, no way.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    gomez80 said:
    I have a question for the professors/teachers, forgive me if I am going off topic a bit. I have always wondered what you guys have thought of students opting to take online courses. Do you believe that this hinders a students chances of actually learning something? Or is it better in your opinions that a student shows more incentive attending a class physically instead? Either way a student can just skate by for just a credit instead of the joy of actually learning something correct?

Thank you

At my most generous, what I could say is that we're still in the very early stages of figuring out how to use online classes effectively. My wife is actually getting an MILS degree (masters in information and library sciences) via an online program at SJ State so I've seen her experience via that and I don't think it's up to par with what you would learn in a classroom environment. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater with it but I don't see huge learning advantages to it, at all. I think people learn less and collaborative projects are less effective. There's still something to be said about the power of "face to face."

At my least generous, online classes seem like a slick way for administrators to lay off or stop hiring faculty and staff by trying to teach more kids without needing to worry about physical infrastructure and capacity issues. Overwhelmingly, the faculty I know are deeply mistrustful of the push to create online classes and while I think they can be, at times, paranoid about it, I don't think their basic fears are unfounded given the track record of many college administrators.

This all gets back to what you think the core purpose of college is. If it's about the credential, then online classes are inevitable. Some would argue, more desirable. But if it's about critical learning and thinking, then online classes - at their best - are a resource and an asset but they can't replace the experience of taking a class in the flesh.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I found discussing art with my peers was just as informative as attending a lecture. And i spent more time with my peers in my four years than i did listening to the professors. The Art game is kinda abstract though.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    batmon said:
    I found discussing art with my peers was just as informative as attending a lecture. And i spent more time with my peers in my four years than i did listening to the professors. The Art game is kinda abstract though.

oh yeah, i think students need to talk to each other more to learn. and it's important that bookworms think in abstract terms and be more creative because there are no easy fixes to the complex social problems that gov/non-gov people work on.

maybe students enrolled on campus who take online course should have to attend 2-3 in-person "lab" days to work on applying some of the things being taught in small groups. it would still probably save admin $$.

• I'm doing the same all-online program as O's wife and it's fairly hit or miss. I've had some amazing teachers who are top of their game. Great content and also understand how to structure an online class and make it feel as if people are participating. I've had a few teachers who we're totally bland and predictable and a few that should be fired immediately.

The weird thing is that I already work in a library and the on the job experience is way more informative and relevant than anything I've picked up in class. On the flip, In school I get a lot of the philosophy and ideology behind librarianship that you honestly never hear a peep of on the job. It's definitely making me more well rounded, but in the end it's more a means to an end. I can't be hired as an actual librarian until I get that degree. I probably won't be able to find a good job for awhile too.

For me it's worth it though because my work pays for part of it and scholarships have covered the rest. It's expensive too, at $1422 a class.

Controller_7 said:
    I'm doing the same all-online program as O's wife and it's fairly hit or miss. I've had some amazing teachers who are top of their game. Great content and also understand how to structure an online class and make it feel as if people are participating. I've had a few teachers who we're totally bland and predictable and a few that should be fired immediately.

The weird thing is that I already work in a library and the on the job experience is way more informative and relevant than anything I've picked up in class. On the flip, In school I get a lot of the philosophy and ideology behind librarianship that you honestly never hear a peep of on the job. It's definitely making me more well rounded, but in the end it's more a means to an end. I can't be hired as an actual librarian until I get that degree. I probably won't be able to find a good job for awhile too.

For me it's worth it though because my work pays for part of it and scholarships have covered the rest. It's expensive too, at $1422 a class.

Ha, good for you! Seriously.

I thought, because - you know, I TEACH FOR A FRICKIN' CSU SCHOOL - I could apply by tuition waver benefit to paying for my wife's education but nope, the program is classified under a different system that doesn't allow me to use my waiver. I like my job but this irks me to no end.

• Is it because of the Special Session thing (there's no state funding and I pay every dollar, same as an out of state student)? Or is the SLIS program in another category? The special session thing is kind of fucked up, but it ends up being cheaper, depending on how long you take to finish.

I'm in my second to last semester. I didn't start that long ago, but I'm trying to burn through it now. Homework
    as an adult with a job and children sucks. It's not even mentally challenging, it's just busy work half the time.

But when I'm done, I'll be a master, yo! My coworker, who has been a reference librarian for
    About 35 years, got his degree from Berkeley for about $1200. Obviously it was a long time ago, but I know for a fact that his education was top notch compared to some of the adjunct, phone it in BS I've taken. Makes me mad too, thinking that his entire degree cost less than one of my classes.

"Special Session." I'm not even asking for a 100% fee waiver, just the equivalent to what a "normal" unit would cost but hope. My benefit is completely inapplicable. C'est la vie.

"Makes me mad too, thinking that his entire degree cost less than one of my classes"

Well, when adjusted for inflation, it's more like three of your classes...but I follow your beef!

• PatrickCrazy said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

I don't think anyone said that MBAs provide anyone with superior knowledge of anything. I'm just saying the Wharton bros I work with are smart, arguably at the top of their field, and do not exhibit any of the characteristics mentioned earlier. I think getting an MBA is an absolute waste of time but unfortunately it's still required professionally in some industries. MBA programs are much more aligned to what Tony was mentioning and I would attribute that more to the product of their work environment prior to MBA vs the program itself. Undergrad, no way.

i have limited exposure to Wharton people. Like i said, my friend who works with them told me her thoughts on the school climate and student priorities, which have really shocked her in the several years she has been there. Of course, she was making generalizations, but she insisted that overall its the case. you should ask your wharton buddies, id be interested to hear a second opinion. the school turns out 800+ grads a year, so if you are not in a particularly predatory field, your may be meeting a certain demographic. still hard working and highly intelligent are traits of many of the worst finance criminals. not sure about the humble part

• id agree with Bat, that a significant aspect of learning is done among peers. and ive generally dismissed on-line learning as a 2 dimensional classroom that is lacking in comparison to traditional school. but that being said, i learn a hell of a lot reading conversations on here and in other forums, so why not?

maybe the main disadvantage is that you cant flirt with your classmates...although it may end up being less superficial on-line in that you have to develop attraction based on their written content rather than their physical attributes

• tripledouble said:
    id agree with Bat, that a significant aspect of learning is done among peers. and ive generally dismissed on-line learning as a 2 dimensional classroom that is lacking in comparison to traditional school. but that being said, i learn a hell of a lot reading conversations on here and in other forums, so why not?

maybe the main disadvantage is that you cant flirt with your classmates...although it may end up being less superficial on-line in that you have to develop attraction based on their written content rather than their physical attributes

then what's with these singles in my neighbourhood i keep seeing on the internet? apparently they're waiting to meet guys just like me? if they were in my college classes, they didn't make it NEARLY as obvious. point: internet.

• excellent point!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    excellent point!

Was flipping through the stations yesterday and came upon a show about a murderer who met all his victims through an on-line dating service.....it went to commercial and one of the sponsors was......wait for it......an online dating service!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

i have limited exposure to Wharton people. Like i said, my friend who works with them told me her thoughts on the school climate and student priorities, which have really shocked her in the several years she has been there. Of course, she was making generalizations, but she insisted that overall its the case. you should ask your wharton buddies, id be interested to hear a second opinion. the school turns out 800+ grads a year, so if you are not in a particularly predatory field, your may be meeting a certain demographic. still hard working and highly intelligent are traits of many of the worst finance criminals. not sure about the humble part
    define predatory

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what up lmj

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:

Is there a lamer gambit than the "define" dodge?

Can't see a reason to expect anything more from this guy. I mean, he "knows" someone from Wharton, therefore everyone from Wharton is exactly like the person he knows.

Talk about

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Thymebomb13 said:

Is there a lamer gambit than the "define" dodge?

Can't see a reason to expect anything more from this guy. I mean, he "knows" someone from Wharton, therefore everyone from Wharton is exactly like the person he knows.

Talk about

You talking about this?

"that's funny because most of the people I meet w/ MBAs are expert at one thing, blowing smoke up ppls asses and talking about very basic concepts in language that is only suited for powerpoint presentations"

• gotta love the tag team action between bonvivant and moelarryjesus, frankiemeltzer etc... or maybe they are the same smug, boring, annoying person.

crabmongerfunk said:
    gotta love the tag team action between bonvivant and moelarryjesus, frankiemeltzer etc... or maybe they are the same smug, boring, annoying person.

Maybe you and Pat are the same boring whiner that instead of dealing with the substance of the post, whines about the poster?

I think that's it.

PatrickCrazy said:
    Come on bros, are you really going to go on some ridiculous stereotypes like that? All the people I work with and know that did either Wharton undergrad or MBA are fucking brilliant, humble, and to say the very least, hard working dudes. Talking down on the campus that's employing you on some "financial predators" shit is total hypocrisy. And if business school mentality = actually getting a job after graduating then um...

I was talking about this, Rock.

• batmon said:

I can't imagine Bobbito going anywhere near this.

Dude reminds me of our old friend Michael Brix...