College graduates should not have to...

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
..... live out their 20???s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at the fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get on with their life.

thoughts?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hold on to your diploma because St. Peter accepts them as tickets through the pearly gates, bro.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ...feel entitled to a fucking thing.

'Oh...you're rocking on your parent's dime in your late 20's 'cuz you couldn't get a job that spoke directly to your philosophy of Latin farts degree? Fuck you...get a job...work food and bev...sell weed...stock supermarkets...Just don't sit on your ass because someone sold you the lie that if you jump through all the educational hoops you'd get the dream job without having to hustle your ass off.'

Phew...wow...sorry...I didn't know I had that poorly constructed rant in me. I just feel like I see more and more of that as I get older.

I know of people who collected unemployment because they couldn't get a job with their landscape architecture degree...fuck that shit...life's hard as shit...get a helment and some hustle.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so what about the recent unemployed graduates with STEM degrees?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444443504577603212344835808.html
    http://blogs.smartmoney.com/advice/2012/08/22/trading-caps-and-gowns-for-mops/

Half of graduates in the past five years say their jobs didn???t require a four-year degree and only 20% said their first job was on their career path.

Unemployment hovered at 6.2% in July for workers over 55, according to the Labor Department, but was more than double that rate ??? 12.7% ??? for those ages 18 to 29.[//quote]

The starting salary for a graduate is $27,000, 10% less than five years ago, according to the Rutgers study.

PatrickCrazy said:
    so what about the recent unemployed graduates with STEM degrees?

Jectwon said:

...get a job...work food and bev...sell weed...stock supermarkets...Just don't sit on your ass because someone sold you the lie that if you jump through all the educational hoops you'd get the dream job without having to hustle your ass off.'

Also, leverage every fucking contact you have that have jobs in the area your love. Talk to them candidly about what you want to do, where you want to be, ask them for their advice. Hustle.

PatrickCrazy said:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444443504577603212344835808.html
    http://blogs.smartmoney.com/advice/2012/08/22/trading-caps-and-gowns-for-mops/

Half of graduates in the past five years say their jobs didn???t require a four-year degree and only 20% said their first job was on their career path.

Unemployment hovered at 6.2% in July for workers over 55, according to the Labor Department, but was more than double that rate ??? 12.7% ??? for those ages 18 to 29.

The starting salary for a graduate is $27,000, 10% less than five years ago, according to the Rutgers study.

Oh okay...my bad. I forgot life is a bitch. Instead of dealing with it, you should just hang out on SoulStrut arguing with a stubborn shit head like me who is on his lunch break. MAD productive.

EDIT: Sorry for being an asshole. I don't know you OR your situation. I'm just talking somewhat hypothetically to anyone who is throwing their arms up in defeat because they have a degree and think they "shouldn't have to..." anything....That shit is dead. No politician or degree is going to fill out applications for you, or hustle in interviews for you, or leverage contacts for you. regardless of the economic/employment climate.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think you're missing the point bro

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    ..... live out their 20???s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at the fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get on with their life.

thoughts?

It's pretty obvious they need more tax cuts.

• PatrickCrazy said:

thoughts?

Tariffs. Severely penalize all offshoring corps. Rebuild the US manufacturing sector and let these kids bend steel and work trades for that rael world experience.

my 2c.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

thoughts?

Tariffs. Severely penalize all offshoring corps. Rebuild the US manufacturing sector and let these kids bend steel and work trades for that rael world experience.

my 2c.
    Tarrifs don't work if we don't have anything to sell. Penalizing American corporations with offshore arms will just drive them completely offshore. Can't rebuild manufacturing if companies are unwilling to rebuild facilities because of uncertainty.

• PatrickCrazy said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

thoughts?

my 2c.
    Tarrifs don't work if we don't have anything to sell. Penalizing American corporations with offshore arms will just drive them completely offshore. Can't rebuild manufacturing if companies are unwilling to rebuild facilities because of uncertainty.

Imo, new companies, completely US based, will spring up to build in the void left by vacating multinationals. fuck em. be gone. Let them go completely offshore and dont let them sell here. If there's one thing i'm sure of, its that americans can live wihtout 98% of the chinese made shit peddled by walmart. If a company is unwilling to build factories here, even while enjoying tax breaks, credits, subsidies etc, then fuck them too. Let our generation come in and start some new shit. And I'm not tawmbout Facebook yafeelmeh?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Trade School

• And while i'm in this thread,if i were running for president here's my platform:

1) Publicly funded elections (take $$ out of politics and put it back in the hands of the people)
    2) Tariffs (sell out this country and the rest fo the people trying to manufacture here, then fuck you. no cheating. be gone)
    3) Take the 100k cap off of social security contribution.
    4) Single Payer (healthcare is a right, not a privilege)
    5) End the bush tax cuts for the wealthiest 1%.
    6) MOST IMPORTANTLY - 1% transaction charge or 1 penny transaction tax (whichever is greater) on EVERY wall street transaction. Will end the deficit in about a year.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not even going to bother touching on the first five but all a wall street tax would do is make transactions more expensive and give government more money to waste on stupid shit. LOL @ paying down the deficit vs making it rain for votes

• Your team is consistently ramming it down the us' throats about teh deficit teh deficit teh deficit and cutting needed social safety nets to do so. Taxing wall street would stop that. 1 penny per transaction too much bro? God knows we wouldn't want the futures and derivative trading to slow.
    When I'm done on the toilet here so shall my time in this thread end.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what team am i on? im just saying that if you trust politicians, regardless of what party, to spend additional tax money wisely, i don't even know what to say. and yes, even an additional penny cost per transaction can have a gigantic effect on overall prices which would hurt retail investors (the few that are left) FAR more than any instituional investors.

• Options
    batmon said:
    Trade School

I wish I would have taken more shop class.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I interview and hire a good number of people and not once, but TWICE in 2012 I've had interviewees tells me "I'm only looking to work here for five years and then leave". The first time I heard this I couldn't believe my ears....even if you think this why the hell would you tell me!!! I asked why and they BOTH said that's what my professor told us we should do, that's how you climb the corporate ladder, in effect.

I told them both to please ask their professor next time they saw him/her how many years it took for them to get their tenure.

Colleges in this country are A) Stealing money from folks who were never college material to begin with and now have three years of loans to pay off and no diploma/job.....B) Setting unrealistic expectations for graduates in the way of entry level salaries as a way to rationalize creating $60K+ in debt that most college grads have........and C) Offering way too many degrees in subjects that only qualify you to hold pseudo-intellectual conversations while serving the customers at Starbucks!

4YearGraduate said:
    And while i'm in this thread,if i were running for president here's my platform:

1) Publicly funded elections (take $$ out of politics and put it back in the hands of the people)
    2) Tariffs (sell out this country and the rest fo the people trying to manufacture here, then fuck you. no cheating. be gone)
    6) MOST IMPORTANTLY - 1% transaction charge or 1 penny transaction tax (whichever is greater) on EVERY wall street transaction. Will end the deficit in about a year.

You'd get my vote.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Colleges in this country are A) Stealing money from folks who were never college material to begin with and now have three years of loans to pay off and no diploma/job.....B) Setting unrealistic expectations for graduates in the way of entry level salaries as a way to rationalize creating $60K+ in debt that most college grads have........and C) Offering way too many degrees in subjects that only qualify you to hold pseudo-intellectual conversations while serving the customers at Starbucks!

UK too. A big drive in the last decade to raise numbers in higher education by watering down degrees, shortening courses, cooking up irrelevant subjects and turning out fuckloads of under qualified, unemployable graduates. With debts. Way to rebuild the economy.

• Rockadelic said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    And while i'm in this thread,if i were running for president here's my platform:

You'd get my vote.

I smell a VP Nomination!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    That college grads wont work, or can't work, is a much repeated myth.
    That grads in the past walked out of college with high paying jobs is another myth.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/may/03/boomerang-kids-85-percent-media/

Journalists love to write about a trend -- particularly when they can back it up with eye-popping numbers.

That's been the case with the much-hyped phenomenon of college graduates moving back with their parents. To illustrate the trend, many media outlets cited a stunning figure -- that 85 percent of recent college grads were returning to live with Mom and Dad.

"Boomerang kids: 85% of college grads move home," blared a headline on CNNMoney.com. "85% of college grads return to nest," echoed the New York Post. "Survey: 85% of New College Grads Move Back in with Mom and Dad," said Time magazine???s website.

Recently, the 85 percent figure emerged in the presidential campaign, in an ad from the Republican group American Crossroads that blames President Barack Obama for the boomerang.

We rated the claim False, but as we dug into the number, we found the media had repeated it with little scrutiny. Journalists were content to copy a number from other news reports without verifying it -- or even asking when the survey was conducted.

• i tend to agree with many of rock's comments. my generation's sense of entitlement is pretty messed up. i went through a period of bitterness after i got my arts degree, expecting things to just happen for me etc... an arts degree and $2.25 will get you on the bus. that's not to say i don't value having a liberal arts education. it opened up the door for other educational opportunities, etc..

that said, in the us and to a lesser degree in canada, law school (which is basically a sort of glorified trade school) grads are finding it really tough to find work. playing by the rules, studying hard and jumping through a ton of hoops used to be a guarnteed entree into the field, but now more than ever it is personal connections that are really making the difference...just my .02

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304458604577486623469958142.html
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/05/10/ottawa-law-schools-articling-positions-hard-to-find.html

bonus beat: check out this incredible pbs doc called "college, inc." (rockadelic catnip here)

Watch College Inc. on PBS. See more from FRONTLINE.

• PatrickCrazy said:
    what team am i on?

The one that starts threads quoting Paul Ryan speeches.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

:feelin_it:

On Paul Ryan... Isn't he the dude that paid for college by using Social Security (Damn government programs!) death benefits after his father died? And also told a college student he should take 3 jobs to pay for school, instead of using pell grants?

Someone post all the jobs bills Ryan supported during the Obama administration. Haven't most been under the impression that Republicans have been blocking shit so the economy doesn't improve?

4YearGraduate said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    what team am i on?

The one that starts threads quoting Paul Ryan speeches.

If anyone looks at either the Dem or Rep platforms and can't find anything within them that they agree with I question their ability to think for themselves.

Ah, Christ...so this was just a political thread?

Fuck this.

...but I stand by my opinion that no politician is going to fill out job apps for you...I'm making more money now than I ever have and it has nothing to do with the suit behind the podium.

If it's a Jackass or a Gout Plagued Elephant in power...I'm getting mine regardless. I suggest everyone else attempt to do the same and stop bitching....that shit sounds like the dude who says "I'm not going to start making beats until I get that akai mpc ableton serrato plugin mashup qubase protool...you can't do it without that"...to me that sounds just like the "well the economy is going to suck until ______ party is in power"....fuck that, get off your own ass and do for yourself.

• edit... not going to be politroll

• see above

4YearGraduate said:
    edit... not going to be politroll

LOL...I can only imagine what was here.