RZA'S The Man With The Iron Fists Trailer.

magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    There are some interesting casting choices (ehhhh).

Corey Yuen is action coordinator/ fight choreographer?

I'll check it out!

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    They put the F-U in Kung Fu???

:nagl:

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    This could have been interesting maybe 10 years ago. But in 2012, from the catalog of Shaw Brothers tropes to the tired 80s-action-flick one-liners to the thoroughly predictable stunt-casting to the mediocre hiphop soundtrack it couldn't look more like reheated, cliche-ridden, direct-to-video dreck if it tried. And seeing as how David Bautista's last starring role was the (also DTV) SCORPION KING 3: BATTLE FOR REDEMPTION, I don't see how anyone could argue, based on this trailer. Yawn.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    yeah I'm still gonna see it though.

• Hello Lucy Liu. It's been a while.

• like the RZA logo

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    this looks like some nice mindless genre fun!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    soulmarcosa said:
    This could have been interesting maybe 10 years ago. But in 2012, from the catalog of Shaw Brothers tropes to the tired 80s-action-flick one-liners to the thoroughly predictable stunt-casting to the mediocre hiphop soundtrack it couldn't look more like reheated, cliche-ridden, direct-to-video dreck if it tried. And seeing as how David Bautista's last starring role was the (also DTV) SCORPION KING 3: BATTLE FOR REDEMPTION, I don't see how anyone could argue, based on this trailer. Yawn.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion???...you sound really really jaded and old mr film school trope.

Seriously were you expecting the RZA to knock out the next la dolce vita or days of heaven?

To see a weed-head beat maker rise up the ranks from the "Projects" of staten island with little more than his wits ,an ASR-10 sampler, a STAX compilation some UBB lps to making a 12 million dollar feature film is basically a miracle and reeks of a ganja infused american success story .

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I agree with Kala.

• I like RZA's direction in music and martial arts but NOT in acting... Please no RZA roles....

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    kala said:
    soulmarcosa said:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion???...you sound really really jaded and old mr film school trope.

Seriously were you expecting the RZA to knock out the next la dolce vita or days of heaven?

To see a weed-head beat maker rise up the ranks from the "Projects" of staten island with little more than his wits ,an ASR-10 sampler, a STAX compilation some UBB lps to making a 12 million dollar feature film is basically a miracle and reeks of a ganja infused american success story .

Scorpion King 3 was an excellent film.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'll definitely watch it, but I'll wait till it comes out on dvd or download for sure. Much more excited about the Total Recall reboot.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yay for RZA, but judging from the trailer, this movie is like dookie on the street.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    kala said:

This is beautiful. You are absolutely right, and just knocked my RZA-eyerolling back to 1996 levels. Thank you.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ice Cube, Beasties, Ice T, Master P, RZA.........whatever.

This seems a little late, but ill check it eventually. the home version should have plenty of extras and shit.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Okem said:
    I'll definitely watch it, but I'll wait till it comes out on dvd or download for sure. Much more excited about the Total Recall reboot.

............sarcasm?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DOR said:
    There are some interesting casting choices (ehhhh).

Yes.
    That is actually what makes it feel dated to me - Lucy Liu and Russell Crowe - what????
    I also can't really stand Tarantino or Roth, so I am a little disappointed my pretend BF made such a boring decision and hooked up with these two.
    I'm still going to go see it, of course.

Not that I am a huge fan of Oliver Stone, but at least my pretend wife and pretend side-piece are in Savages.
    What up, Salma!
    I'll call you next week, Benicio!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    thrope said:
    Okem said:

............sarcasm?
    Nope, the trailer looks really good.

I'm a fan of the original, this remake may turn out to be a stinker but I'll give anything with that cyberpunk sci-fi style a chance.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    bassie said:

Not that I am a huge fan of Oliver Stone, but at least my pretend wife and pretend side-piece are in Savages.
    What up, Salma!

As much as I love both Salmita and Benny Of The Bull, neither could save this bullshit ass movie. If it wasn't 2:30a when I got out I would've asked for a refund.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Herm said:
    bassie said:

What up, Salma!

As much as I love both Salmita and Benny Of The Bull, neither could save this bullshit ass movie. If it wasn't 2:30a when I got out I would've asked for a refund.

I caught it at an advance screening and thought it was ok. The worst part for me was the cheesy narration. Otherwise it was an entertaining time. I went into it with absolutely zero expectation or knowledge about it, so my bar was pretty low. But I walked out glad that I took my friend up on the free ticket - and not just because of the air conditioning in the theater.

Saw tonight in the theater and I can say I didn't hate it. I was going to wait until a dl. But a good friend from HK saw and enjoyed it so I thought what the hell.

Things I could have done without...

While I don't think Rza was horrible. I think it would have been a much better film with someone else in the roll. He should have just stuck with making the film and maybe a small part.

Now I love cheesy shit in martial arts flicks. It just seemed in some parts they were forcing the cheese to give it that feel (Mostly in the beginning of the film).

But all in all, the fighting choreography was pretty great. The CGI blood and gore didn't bother me and it was pretty entertaining.

Even my girl like it (Tho, she likes almost anything that has females in a flick kicking ass).

7/10

• heard it's wack.

I don't doubt that. If I had a nickle for every Martial Arts film I've seen & enjoyed that people said sucked...

I can easily remember the days as a kid in the late 80's when I was watching bootleg VHS tapes and going to run down theaters to watch flicks and most people thought that shit was "wack" until Protect your neck dropped.

In any case. I know for every 1 person who enjoyed Iron Fists, there will be 25 who disliked it. No big deal. I just liked it much more than I thought I would.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Saw it too and enjoyed it. Didn't take itself too seriously so it had some funny parts. RZA with his girlfriend were freaking horrible though.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    I'll wait for netflix.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I saw this this past weekend on the Bluray. Unrated Version.

Shit was really good. 7.5.

The RZA shouldnt be acting.

The choreography was good, but sometimes the camera stayed on the torso up too much on individual fights. Its a peeve of mine.
    The score was cool too. A little Issac Hayes w/ extras and shit.

And I didnt anticipate the slavery backstory.

Its was more entertaining than Django Unchained for me.