Minstrel Show?

33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone else getting kind of hyped about this album? I dunno after the controversy and I just checked the video for "Lovin It"... If its anything like the video it sounds pretty nice. Alot better than Late Registration.opinons? Late pass? Kufi pass? what's your take?

Comments

• tiptoetiptoe 57 Posts
    Hip Hop is DEAD,

and you just killed it.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Really? I dunno check the video, it looks dope. On the slow side but I like the beat.

Lovin It Video

• tiptoetiptoe 57 Posts
    That shit is totally and completely AVERAGE

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Anyone else getting kind of hyped about this album? I dunno after the controversy and I just checked the video for "Lovin It"... If its anything like the video it sounds pretty nice. Alot better than Late Registration.

As average as it is, I LOVE that fucking beat (anyone else notice that one sample sounds warped or slower on the chorus?) but that last MC is garbage. I don't know how you could say that one song (a gigantic loop and drums) is better than Late Reg. though.

Oh SHIT it looks like I'm riding for Kan !

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Anyone else getting kind of hyped about this album?

did 9th buy a new snare kit?

Lovin It Video

i guess not........

nice beat as usual, but can someone please send this man some new snares & kicks

Anyone else getting kind of hyped about this album? I dunno after the controversy and I just checked the video for "Lovin It"... If its anything like the video it sounds pretty nice. Alot better than Late Registration.

LOVE that fucking beat (anyone else notice that sample sounds warped or something on the chorus?) but that last MC is garbage. I don't know how you could say that one song (a gigantic loop and drums) is better than Late Reg.

Oh SHIT it looks like I'm riding for Kan:ghey:!

Nah sayin or insinuating if the whole album is as solid as the first track, it could be better than Late Registration. And cosign on Joe Scudda, he was average at best. And no Kanye hate, I am just less than impressed with late registration after the build up around it. The Just blaze track is bananas.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    im very much lookin forward to it. the listening is in my top 10, (sorry 25!!) lps of ever

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    im very much lookin forward to it. the listening is in my top 10 lps of ever

How old are you - out of curiosity.

. the listening is in my top 10 lps of ever

i am officially an old ass man

• sconesscones 434 Posts

ever, in hiphop. well maybe that comment was a bit rash tbh. maybe top 25 ;]

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    the listening was doo doo butter, IMO

in your private mind garden

Nah it wasn't everything the hype made it out to be but it was decent.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

i wasnt really up on LB till i got the LP, so i wasnt aware of this hype. to me its just fucking tight. no fast forwards which is a thing in hiphop nowadays

9th with a good MC[/b]

9th with boring MC's[/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Whoah!

Take that schitt to www.okayplayer.com, son.

9th with a good MC[/b]

9th with boring MC's[/b]

Yeh i enjoyed 9th Edition alot more than I liked The Listening, the production was more story oriented vs. track 1- ...

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    eh. mcs aint really shit to me anyway so if the beats are good i cop it. the listening was deffo one of those LPs. perhaps they aint sayin much but i like it.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i still cant get over how sloppy 9th's beats are

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    eh. mcs aint really shit to me anyway so if the beats are good i cop it. the listening was deffo one of those LPs. perhaps they aint sayin much but i like it.

so you cant come up with 25 albums that have good beats AND good MCs?

eh, its all subjective. i will personally think about this list for you and get back to you. i dunno if you could? if so cool, what are they? i will get back to you!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

cosign

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I liked The Listening and loved the 9th Edition, I wouldn't say i'm looking forward to The Minstrel Show but I am curious to see what they do with their second album (crossing fingers)... "Lovin It" is cool, just something to chill to, but not as catchy or as nice as "Whatever You Say" (wasn't that their first single for The Listening?).... BTW, after Late Registration and The Minstrel Show comes out, is there anything else worth peeping??????? Kinda scary...

• The Listening was cool and all, but it's not touching my top 25, nor top 50, maybe somewhere in my 100, but i'm pretty sure i can think of 100 hip hop albums equal or better than it...
    Real nice beats and some ok lyrics, but after a while it all gets a bit bland i'd say, no real adrenaline music to wake you up, and not the kind of chilled music i'd put on to relax to... solid album, but no more than that for me...

• That shit is totally and completely AVERAGE

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Pretty much.

Had those dudes actually come out during the era that they pay tribute to, people would have just regarded them as another Hard 2 Obtain or Trendz of Culture, if that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Pretty much.

Had those dudes actually come out during the era that they pay tribute to, people would have just regarded them as another Hard 2 Obtain or Trendz of Culture, if that.

That may be the most profound statement yet.

Little Boring

Pretty much.

aah the Faux reply. Typical, but quality as usual. Anyone else?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Yeah, I have never understood LB's appeal. I think you have to be over 30 and have kids to like their music and I'm both and I DON'T find it very appealing.

I haven't heard the new CD yet but I speculate the same folks chatting it up are the same ones who thought Be was a 5 star album.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

'The Listening' sits like 1 long song w/ IDs tacked on; it's tailor-made for elevator Muzak rotation already.

Long Stylistics sample on 'Lovin' It' from what I can hear...

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Yeah, I have never understood LB's appeal. I think you have to be over 30 and have kids to like their music and I'm both and I DON'T find it very appealing.

I haven't heard the new CD yet but I speculate the same folks chatting it up are the same ones who thought Be was a 5 star album.

Phew! You love hating on Be, dont you? I'm not defending it... but damn you bring it up a lot.

Little Brother has some dope songs. I really liked the the title track off The Listening.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

i wasnt really up on LB till i got the LP, so i wasnt aware of this hype. to me its just fucking tight. no fast forwards which is a thing in hiphop nowadays

Hey,

I thought it was good up to "So Fabulous". After that, it got mad monotonous, "fillerish", and boring. My take on Little Brother, including "Minstrel Show" is that they make nice songs but bad albums. All the songs have the same sound, which I suspect, is because Big Pooh and Phonte like to write to those kinds of songs. MCs are notorious for being "niche-like" in their selection of songs. My MC only picks the smooth ones which irks the shit out of me. I keep yellin' for him to write to the intense, rugged joints too. 9th Wonder shows better creativity when he produces for others, which forms the basis of my theory that Phonte and Big Pooh create the monotony, musically. And yes, dude needs some breaks, but he has a great sampling and arranging ear, on the strength.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak