Minstrel Show?

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

aah the Faux reply. Typical, but quality as usual. Anyone else?

Yeah, I have never understood LB's appeal. I think you have to be over 30 and have kids to like their music and I'm both and I DON'T find it very appealing.

I haven't heard the new CD yet but I speculate the same folks chatting it up are the same ones who thought Be was a 5 star album.

Actually, I think a lot of their fans are pretty young (witness the guy who proclaimed The Listening one of the ten greatest rap albums of all time) and are suffering from a sense of false nostalgia.

I mean, if you were actually there in the early nineties--say, going to a Tribe show or buying Illmatic the day it came out--I don't really see how you could be impressed by these guys. I suspect many of their young fans are desperate to experience an era of rap that they missed out on.

We could probably answer this question definitively, but it would require somebody with a high tolerance for pain and an ability to suppress his gag reflex to immerse himself in the alternate reality that is www.okayplayer.com...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    many of their young fans are desperate to experience an era of rap that they missed out on.

or one that older fans don't mind returning to.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Honestly i thought the Listening was ehhh. It had its moments here and there like the title track. However overall it was not steady rotation. However it seemed like the video they dropped seemed to have some more appeal than the stuff they did for their debut. No nostalgia because like Faux said if they did exist in that time period they would have been a dot or less on the map, more just my own private mind garden opinion.

• Overall I like them dudes. I think them dudes can definetly bring a couple of bangers and a decent album but not enough for a album that's an experience listening to ( there's only so much I can take of 9th's beats). I see why dudes are riding for 'em, kinda-sorta-throwback dudes that are actually kinda rugged in a sense (or as my homegirl said "Little Brother...man...'scuce me but them seem real down home brothers I can fuck with them n!**as).

but yo...this is the album that had me wiggin' it.

grown, sexy, and kufilicious

Overall I like them dudes[/b]. I think them dudes[/b] can definetly bring a couple of bangers and a decent album but not enough for a album that's an experience listening to ( there's only so much I can take of 9th's beats). I see why dudes are riding for 'em, kinda-sorta-throwback dudes that are actually kinda rugged in a sense (or as my homegirl said "Little Brother...man...'scuce me but them seem real down home brothers I can fuck with them n!**as).

That dude Young Phonics attempts to compensate for his kufilicious defense of Little Brother through the excessive use of the phrase "them dudes" and the invocation of the ever popular fictitious black friend.

• Overall I like them dudes[/b]. I think them dudes[/b] can definetly bring a couple of bangers and a decent album but not enough for a album that's an experience listening to ( there's only so much I can take of 9th's beats). I see why dudes are riding for 'em, kinda-sorta-throwback dudes that are actually kinda rugged in a sense (or as my homegirl said "Little Brother...man...'scuce me but them seem real down home brothers I can fuck with them n!**as).

That dude Young Phonics attempts to compensate for his kufilicious defense of Little Brother through the excessive use of the phrase "them dudes" and the invocation of the ever popular fictitious black friend.

Why are you assuming she's black? Fucking racist.

Overall I like them dudes[/b]. I think them dudes[/b] can definetly bring a couple of bangers and a decent album but not enough for a album that's an experience listening to ( there's only so much I can take of 9th's beats). I see why dudes are riding for 'em, kinda-sorta-throwback dudes that are actually kinda rugged in a sense (or as my homegirl said "Little Brother...man...'scuce me but them seem real down home brothers I can fuck with them n!**as).

Why are you assuming she's black? Fucking racist.

Oh, you got white friends that use the n-word?

• I think you failed to get my joke.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

aah the Faux reply. Typical, but quality as usual. Anyone else?

Yeah, I have never understood LB's appeal. I think you have to be over 30 and have kids to like their music and I'm both and I DON'T find it very appealing.

I haven't heard the new CD yet but I speculate the same folks chatting it up are the same ones who thought Be was a 5 star album.

Actually, I think a lot of their fans are pretty young (witness the guy who proclaimed The Listening one of the ten greatest rap albums of all time) and are suffering from a sense of false nostalgia.

I mean, if you were actually there in the early nineties--say, going to a Tribe show or buying Illmatic the day it came out--I don't really see how you could be impressed by these guys. I suspect many of their young fans are desperate to experience an era of rap that they missed out on.

We could probably answer this question definitively, but it would require somebody with a high tolerance for pain and an ability to suppress his gag reflex to immerse himself in the alternate reality that is www.okayplayer.com...

eyo i changed to top 25, 10 was hastey. no i didnt buy illmatic the day it came out but i bought it the day i heard it.. illmatic to me is much more important that little brother but atm i think LB are one of the only few groups in hiphop, in this present day, that i really do have respect for and can put out a solid album. no fillers on this lp for me. i can understand the whole 'missed the era' thing; i did definately miss the era and im buying records as much as i can to fill up holes in my collection.. id still buy a tribe 12 over a LB 12 any time of day, but i still have mass respect for lb. and i know loads of heads who have 10 years on me who think LB, in this present day albeit, are a hot group

eyo

This is not one of the accepted spellings of AYO, nor is it an acceptable usage.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

eyo

This is not one of the accepted spellings of AYO, nor is it an acceptable usage.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Spot on... you guys don't understand what a huge impact that group had here (ground zero- NC)... there's probably been 10 albums (easily, at least) spun off the success of LB that all the stores around here keep in stock (basically all their friends, side-projects, dudes who got a 9th beat, etc)... I've said this before, but it seems like half the college kids here act like they're on a first name basis with 'Ninth' (those sayin he's a real nice guy must be serious- 20 year old dudes will be like "9th is showin me how to make beats!")

These same dudes will talk down on Dipset/Swishahouse/Hypnotize Minds/etc all day long BTW... so I think they are attempting to travel back in time to what they consider a safer, happier time for rap music...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Digdug on a seperate note. You ever heard of Tajj Mahal (Rapper not Blues artist)? He is out of the Raleigh-Durham area. Dope MC if you haven't checked him. He has been doin his thing there since the early 90s. He has a couple tracks Sound did back around 98-99 that are bananas.

Sorry for the topic switch...carry on.

I've said this before, but it seems like half the college kids here act like they're on a first name basis with 'Ninth' (those sayin he's a real nice guy must be serious- 20 year old dudes will be like "9th is showin me how to make beats!")

Hilarious!

"Ninth is my playa potna!"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Digdug on a seperate note. You ever heard of Tajj Mahal (Rapper not Blues artist)? He is out of the Raleigh-Durham area. Dope MC if you haven't checked him. He has been doin his thing there since the early 90s. He has a couple tracks Sound did back around 98-99 that are bananas.

Never heard of him... but I get the impression Sound does a lot of stuff thats way under the radar... I found some one-sided red 12" on 'South City' records last week credited to Sound Machine and somebody "Luv Money"... rapping isn't that great but its a cool artifact (which doesn't seem to be documented anywhere)

• I listened to the first LB album twice I think. But I'm not really sure that counts since I may have fast forwarded a lot during one of those times.

So I guess if I think LB is boring and that southern rap is annoying, I am up shit creek without a paddle.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I thought the Listening was zzz pretty much all the way through. The snippets I heard for Minstrel Show-- much better, but still kinda boring. The reason why I type this, though, is that not caring for LB shouldn't keep anyone from peepin' that Foreign Exchange album, which is, despite a couple of weak cuts, one of the stronger albums from '04.

• Ewww, Foreign Exchange album is a snoozefest, Nicolay smothers everything to death in dull keyboard sounds and plodding drums... corny singing too and nothing spectacular with the raps, one of the most boring albums of last year...

• Just got the sampler in today for the Minstrel Show... 3 songs in and not disappointed... yet...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    So I guess if I think LB is boring and that southern rap is annoying, I am up shit creek without a paddle.

www.stonesthrow.com ?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    listen to some young jeezy

maybe you need to hit up noz for some no limit or old cash money stuff

you needz to catch up?

• peeping the sampler now.. sounding good..

• [quoteSpot on... you guys don't understand what a huge impact that group had here (ground zero- NC)... there's probably been 10 albums (easily, at least) spun off the success of LB that all the stores around here keep in stock (basically all their friends, side-projects, dudes who got a 9th beat, etc)... I've said this before, but it seems like half the college kids here act like they're on a first name basis with 'Ninth' (those sayin he's a real nice guy must be serious- 20 year old dudes will be like 9th is showin me how to make beats!)

These same dudes will talk down on Dipset/Swishahouse/Hypnotize Minds/etc all day long BTW... so I think they are attempting to travel back in time to what they consider a safer, happier time for rap music...
    Agreed. As for him being a nice guy: he is. Do I think he's actually showing all these people how to fruit loop it? No. It's a combination of him being a level headed mini-celeb and kids getting gassed when they speak with someone like that. The realization that he doesn't live in hip-hop world and actually has to get his oil changed at Jiffy Lube and buy groceries at Food Lion for some reason shocks them. And because they saw him at a show or somewhere in public and gave them their cell puts them on cloud nine.

As for their music: I don't even really pay attention to it. I'm not hating on the fact that they're retro, they use the same drum sounds, etc. I think they're good at what they do. The flows are nice, the samples chops sound good, and I'm glad a lot of people like them. With whatever type of music I choose to listen to, though, I tend to want to hear people that are slighty nuts or have a particular knack for representing through art their particular world. I live the middle class post collegiate life and it's not that interesting. I'd much rather hear another perspective on life than my own, especially if it's southern music. There's just such a wealth of peculiarities here that lend themselves perfectly to music. Plus art has always been the haven for people on society's fringes. I'm not saying normal people can't make good music that people enjoy, I just don't gravitate to it.