Trayvon Martin

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
You knew it was coming. I'm surprised there hasn't already been a thread.

I've been following this since J Root posted the story weeks ago on FB and it's been in my thoughts on a daily basis. The last 2 days in the media and online have been straight up disgusting trying to destroy this kid's reputation. False images of him, slander, speculation, people saying "HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED" (!?!?!) etc. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, but damn. This is some ugly shit.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/03/26/452310/what-everyone-needs-to-know-about-the-smear-campaign-against-trayvon-martin-1995-2012/

«13456721

  Comments


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    KONY is now on the back burner. Predictable.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Between this murder and the beating death of the Iraqi woman in California ("go back to your country" - the irony is just too sick) ... is this the temperature in the States right now? Going to skip over the obvious race and extreme prejudice issues and ask if you feel this is due to something else, like economic pressures...?

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    day said:
    . The last 2 days in the media and online have been straight up disgusting trying to destroy this kid's reputation.

    The photos you posted seem to show the exact opposite? I had never seen these "before" photos until your post.

  • Above and beyond every other aspect of this story, this is a tragedy plain and simple. The life of a young man has been wasted.
    Once you agree with that simple fact and start to unpack everything else, there are a lot of complicated aspects to this story.
    I'm just glad it's getting the attention it deserves. I'm sure there are a million stories like this that never see the light of day.
    WAKE UP PEOPLE. It's time to stop killing each other!!!

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Above and beyond every other aspect of this story, this is a tragedy plain and simple. The life of a young man has been wasted.
    Once you agree with that simple fact and start to unpack everything else, there are a lot of complicated aspects to this story.
    I'm just glad it's getting the attention it deserves. I'm sure there are a million stories like this that never see the light of day.
    WAKE UP PEOPLE. It's time to stop killing each other!!!

    cosign x 1000

  • dayday 9,612 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    day said:
    . The last 2 days in the media and online have been straight up disgusting trying to destroy this kid's reputation.

    The photos you posted seem to show the exact opposite? I had never seen these "before" photos until your post.

    That's because it's fake. None of the pictures on the left are Trayvon. Someone with a clear agenda created that.

    Read this if you didn't understand what I meant:
    http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-national/right-wing-websites-anonymous-sources-go-after-trayvon-martin?CID=examiner_alerts_article

  • dayday 9,612 Posts
    batmon said:
    KONY is now on the back burner. Predictable.

    I don't know if that's directed at me or whatever, but I never said a word about KONY. This is happening right here, right now. Again and again and again and again.

    Bassie: I've been hoping that note left at the scene of Shaima Alawadi's murder was to throw off the police from it being her husband or someone who knew her (as horrible as that all sounds). The thought of someone taking a tire iron to a mother of 5 because she's from another country is too much to bear.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    day said:


    Bassie: I've been hoping that note left at the scene of Shaima Alawadi's murder was to throw off the police from it being her husband or someone who knew her (as horrible as that all sounds). The thought of someone taking a tire iron to a mother of 5 because she's from another country is too much to bear.

    The same thing occurred to me, too, about it being a fake...I guess the grim thing is that I can still believe (as have others) that someone would kill her for her nationality, hijab, name and all the rest of it.

  • DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    the beating death of the Iraqi woman in California

    Hold the fuck on...

    Link? This story doesn't seem to be getting any play, and I watch the BBC every morning, even here in Berlin. It's all Trayvon and the Toulouse killings.

    EDIT: It's OK, I just Googled it. Grim.

  • can an american lawyer explain this florida "stand your grand law"? specifically, what part of it empowers a person to stalk a minor, confront that minor and then shoot and kill that minor when he feels threatened or is losing the fight that he started?

    it's sort of fascinating to see how this is playing out in the media:

    -check out the drudge report if you want to vomit a bit in your mouth.

    -or check out this former cnn reporter and zimmerman friend joe oliver trying to whitewash it:



    -or the touchy feely, self-righteous freak show that is anderson cooper:


    -finally, why the hell is msnbc's al sharpton being allowed to cover this story if he is taking such a lead role in it?

    can anyone point to coverage of this story that has been anywhere near on point?

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Austin Police Department has an ugly history of killing young black men and no matter the shady circumstances surrounding their deaths, letting their officers get off scot free (even in cases that clearly point to unprovoked murder) has become the norm. In each case, the media (and even the so-called alternative media here) in turn helps them demonize the victims in order to quell public opinion and then the chief of police and even grand juries allow them to suppress any offending evidence. There's been a clear, consistent pattern of this over the past 15 years...and the end result, depsite plenty of public proest thus far, has been absolutely nothing in favor of the victims.

    Living through said history makes me kinda numb to the Trayvon Martin story. On one hand, I want to rage and do what I can to demand that justice be served. On the other hand, what's the point? I can't think of anything I can do to make some power-wielding racists in Florida change their ways. But what does distinguish the Trayvon case from the APD cases that I'm more familiar with is that this Zimmerman dude isn't even a real cop. That the same establishment that protects crooked cops is also standing behind this douche does indeed alarm me. But then again, what to do about it?

  • tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    harvey...its definitely some shit thats been going on forever, however it might get codified or excused by laws. i think its important that the case is getting so much attention, since various voices are speaking up that it follows many previous incidents. if its the example that at least attempts to establish some safeguards against this type of profiling and murder than its at least one positive outcome from the kids death.

    all in all though, just more of the same and its some horrible shameful shit. he got killed for being black, its as simple as that.

    the florida stand your ground law boggles the mind. if there are no witnesses can i just shoot someone, punch myself in the nose and say that they attacked me and i feared for my life?

  • sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:


    can anyone point to coverage of this story that has been anywhere near on point?

    I thought Geraldo Rivera made a nice job of it.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    crabmongerfunk said:


    can anyone point to coverage of this story that has been anywhere near on point?

    I thought Geraldo Rivera made a nice job of it.

    Fuck outta here.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    sabadabada said:
    crabmongerfunk said:


    can anyone point to coverage of this story that has been anywhere near on point?

    I thought Geraldo Rivera made a nice job of it.

    Fuck outta here.

    Do. Not. Engage.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Toronto also has an ugly history with police shooting/killing young unarmed black men and people with clear mental issues???with no repercussions whatsoever.
    It is paralyzing. And it is hard to know what one can do when it is about large, slow-moving institutions that are both the authors and enforcers of racist and biased laws and policies.
    I think the attention is a good thing like x3x2 said, but just knowing about things is not enough (so now people know where Uganda is on the map - so what? now what?).
    I might be fooling myself, but I think small things ??? like the community programs Harvey does ??? may not make a dent in fuckery like shooting a black teenager for no reason at all, but do contribute to balancing out the very very bad with some good.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Okay, now I'm seeing the Zimmerman side of the story for the first time...and now I don't know what to think. When I listened to the 9-11 call the other day, I assumed the screams were from Martin. Now, I'm reading that those screams were actually from Zimmerman. So while the questions on why this kid was approached in the first place remain fully in tact and worthy of much discussion...I'm now confused whether this was ultimately a case of self-defense or not. And of course, I have our purposefully idiotic media to thank for YET ANOTHER MINDFUCK.

  • CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Okay, now I'm seeing the Zimmerman side of the story for the first time...and now I don't know what to think. When I listened to the 9-11 call the other day, I assumed the screams were from Martin. Now, I'm reading that those screams were actually from Zimmerman. So while the questions on why this kid was approached in the first place remain fully in tact and worthy of much discussion...I'm now confused whether this was ultimately a case of self-defense or not. And of course, I have our purposefully idiotic media to thank for YET ANOTHER MINDFUCK.

    Not really, best case Zimmerman followed someone he thought was dangerous. Martin thought he was being followed by someone dangerous (he was). Martin turned and fought Zimmerman to defend himself. Zimmerman shot Martin when he felt the tables had turned. Now this is the best case for Zimmerman and in it he is still reckless and stupid. He had a gun and the upper hand from the start, he escalated the situation. If some dude walked by me on the street who I thought might mug me, why the fuck would I follow him.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yep, I'm already right back to fuck that guy. He had no business approaching Martin, period.

  • AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Trayvon's only "crime" was going out to buy some Skittles and Arizona iced tea. And then some older dude in a car begins to trail him while he tries to talk to his girl on the phone. Now what would the average teenager do? Hang up and engage said dude in an altercation, or walk away from the creep a little faster? The self-defense theories just do not add up.

    Zimmerman appointed himself a watchman and had a history of alerting the cops to "suspicious" behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if this superman complex of his is the result of some mental issue.

  • AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Trayvon's only "crime" was going out to buy some Skittles and Arizona iced tea. And then some older dude in a car begins to trail him while he tries to talk to his girl on the phone. Now what would the average teenager do? Hang up and engage said dude in an altercation, or walk away from the creep a little faster? The self-defense theories just do not add up.

    Zimmerman appointed himself a watchman and had a history of alerting the cops to "suspicious" behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if this superman complex of his is the result of some mental issue.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And without question X1000000000, Zimmerman should be sitting behind bars as this story gets sorted out.

  • ...and now for the fox news point of view:


    so now you see that the coverage of this story is a conspiracy by the liberal, mainstream media to advance cynical arguments about race to embarass republicans and win political points.

  • HarveyCanal said:
    Okay, now I'm seeing the Zimmerman side of the story for the first time...and now I don't know what to think. When I listened to the 9-11 call the other day, I assumed the screams were from Martin. Now, I'm reading that those screams were actually from Zimmerman. So while the questions on why this kid was approached in the first place remain fully in tact and worthy of much discussion...I'm now confused whether this was ultimately a case of self-defense or not. And of course, I have our purposefully idiotic media to thank for YET ANOTHER MINDFUCK.

    I served on a murder case where we deliberated whether the killing was self-defense or not. For two weeks we heard testimony, looked at forensics reports, saw photos, all of that???..

    That is what is so crazy about the "Stand Your Ground" law. The public is trying to figure these questions out when, ideally, this would be the work of a jury, two lawyers, and a judge.

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I don't think that the intent of the law included "seeking confrontation-->finding confrontation-->standing your ground." It is mind boggingly idiotic that we're even having this huge maelstrom of debate about perp vs vic.

  • discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    And without question X1000000000, Zimmerman should be sitting behind bars as this story gets sorted out.

    Exactly. I don't understand what the hell is happening here, from a legal standpoint. How has this dude NOT been arrested? I mean, I understand innocent until proven guilty but I'm sure many folks on here have seen people across the country get arrested for far far less.

  • dayday 9,612 Posts
    This whole thing is insane. It's somehow newsworthy that Zimmerman was a registered Democrat and that Trayvon was suspended for tagging a locker and having an empty bag of weed (who didn't do that shit at 17)?

    Now the Miami Herald is saying he was found at school with 12 pieces of jewelry and a screwdriver, even though his parents were never notified and no evidence ever surfaced that it was stolen when handed over to the police. The result of all this? Supporters of Zimmerman can now say "boom: this kid was a criminal" etc. Regardless of the fact that none of the previous shit I mentioned has anything to do with the case.

    At this point it's his word against a dead 17 year olds and he will probably walk when it's all said and done. Comments people are leaving in these news stories make me sick. Temperature's rising in the states.

  • Even the woman who "flour bombed" Kim Kardashian was detained

  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,898 Posts
    The_Non said:
    I don't think that the intent of the law included "seeking confrontation-->finding confrontation-->standing your ground." It is mind boggingly idiotic that we're even having this huge maelstrom of debate about perp vs vic.

    Which is the part I don't understand. I keep reading all these people using the stand your ground argument. Shouldn't the act be actually covering Martin? Why the fuck does Zimmerman get to use it?

  • tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    exactly!!!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.