Rihanna working with Chris Brown

13»

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    messed up situation, but entertainers should be able to entertain without their personal lives becoming public factors. elmo factor.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Personal life is smearing yourself with organic peanut butter while getting pegged by your personal chef.
    Assault, child molestation, drinking&driving;... anything that breaks the law is public domain.

Leaking pictures of her injuries is more of a gray area - total invasion of privacy (and illegal, I think?), but not sure the incident would have had the same impact had it not come with context.

So weird that a womanchild in need of care and saving is considered sexy....more so than a capable and strong equal (like Beyonce if we're talking public figures)?
    I guess it's the age/maturity thing to a degree.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    bassie said:

So weird that a womanchild in need of care and saving is considered sexy....more so than a capable and strong equal (like Beyonce if we're talking public figures)?
    I guess it's the age thing to a degree.

It's never sexy, and it comes across as sad and pathetic when you're talking about an adult with money & opportunities.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    bassie said:
    Personal life is smearing yourself with organic peanut butter while getting pegged by your personal chef.
    Assault, child molestation, drinking&driving;... anything that breaks the law is public domain.

Leaking pictures of her injuries is more of a gray area - total invasion of privacy (and illegal, I think?), but not sure the incident would have had the same impact had it not come with context.

I guess it's the age/maturity thing to a degree.

I re-read my post and you are right.

• Reynaldo said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Reynaldo said:
    My takeaway was: don't step to or talk shit to a grown man and not expect to get hit.

But what about stepping to a sociopathic toddler?

CB is no more a man than an entitled child.
    Expect to get hit.

That midget would need to stand on his tippy toes to connect with my face with his noodled-armed ass.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    bassie said:

I guess it's the age thing to a degree.

It's never sexy, and it comes across as sad and pathetic when you're talking about an adult with money & opportunities.

a) that women in need are more attractive than more capable/strong women sounds like the medieval notion of the 'damsel in distress'; so maybe in addition to the age difference, it's that many people are still socialized into male-dominant gender roles.

b) i wouldn't assume that all adults with money and opportunities have the same experience. there's a well-documented pattern of evidence to suggest that "making it" in this world doesn't always translate into equal outcomes for women of colour.

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/healthandsociety/research/wp/documents/07-02_Final-1.pdf

(actually, forget that she's a black women for a second; why do we expect that rich women won't be subject to the same emotional/circumstantial "cycle of abuse" that other women are? i'm not a woman, so i cram to understand.)

i don't like the feeling that an abused women is turning her misfortune into an ad campaign; but she's probably dealing with enough demons as it is (even if she doesn't show you those demons in public... remember: she's a professional entertainer!)... and it feels kind of like re-victimizing her to heap so much scorn on her.

this is really complex stuff to respond to; no question. but i'm more comfortable with taking this as a lesson in how sad a state of affairs the entertainment industry is in for this to be a viable marketing strategy (a la that article that doc posted - thanks!)... oh look: she just got her 12th #1 on Billboards Hot 100 today!