Rihanna working with Chris Brown

Comments

• day said:
    DocMcCoy said:

It's like someone threw him in a dryer filled with spirit gum and pubes.

serious question: is that tattoo on his neck supposed to be rhianna's beat up face? if so, is that even real or is someone folling around on photoshop?

• dubble

• i've seen it reported as such, and twitters been dicussing it, but im not really seeing it. it looks like half its face is missing on some zombie shit. horrible tattoo but im not really buyin the rihanna connection.

not that its the truth but....: Chris Brown???s new tattoo is not an image of Rihanna or an abused woman, his publicist told EW. It???s a MAC cosmetics design of a skull associated with the Mexican celebration of the Day of the Dead.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    day said:
    DocMcCoy said:

It's like someone threw him in a dryer filled with spirit gum and pubes.

serious question: is that tattoo on his neck supposed to be rhianna's beat up face? if so, is that even real or is someone folling around on photoshop?

It's a real tat. I don't think it's meant to look like Rihanna, but he's obviously not concerned about what it looks like anyway.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what does lenny kravitz have to do with this thread?

thrope said:
    It???s a MAC cosmetics design of a skull associated with the Mexican celebration of the Day of the Dead.

So it's a sponsored tattoo?

• He should have been dropped by his record company after the episode, just like Vick should have never been allowed to play football in the NFL ever again.
    They are supposed role models and should be made an example of. They should lose all support from whatever deals they have in place.

Too much money involved for morals.

• I'd like to see Rihanna plot revenge, keep her enemy close and beat his stupid face with a bat...

....but that will never happen

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    He should have been dropped by his record company after the episode, just like Vick should have never been allowed to play football in the NFL ever again.
    They are supposed role models and should be made an example of. They should lose all support from whatever deals they have in place.

I am not sure they asked to be role models. Rihanna has said she doesn't want that responsibility. It's the public puts them on a pedestal. They are still people...who have to live their shit out in front the world. Not a pity party, but I don't see them as anything but young messed up people with an audience.
    Punishing them because they are rich and famous is as fucked up as targeting people because they are poor and disconnected. Some people think poverty is a chosen life that should be made an example of as well.
    Looking around, these are not the folks that need to be answering for their conduct, imo.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    He should have been dropped by his record company after the episode, just like Vick should have never been allowed to play football in the NFL ever again.

Hell yeah!
    And james brown should of never been allowed to record.
    David Ruffin should of never sung a fuckong note!!!
    And Ike Turner...his entire catalog should be banned

Ive taken to only listening to Andy Williams. I hear he still wears his purity ring, I think it gives his tracks that kind of pep that can only be difined as "good"

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    batmon said:
    Can one forgive someone for getting punched in the face?

In Barbados, could be foreplay...

:oh_my:

• Guzzo said:
    badder_than_evil said:

Hell yeah!
    And james brown should of never been allowed to record.
    David Ruffin should of never sung a fuckong note!!!
    And Ike Turner...his entire catalog should be banned

Ive taken to only listening to Andy Williams. I hear he still wears his purity ring, I think it gives his tracks that kind of pep that can only be difined as "good"

haha.

On the real though: "they shoulda been dropped" /= "they are role models and need to act better"

I don't give a fuck about their problems, nor should they have to live lives more pure than poor people lead.

Nonetheless....he shoulda been dropped. What he did was fucked.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Nonetheless....he shoulda been dropped. What he did was fucked.
    He should of been dropped because he seemed like a high liability. Still he somehow made it through and proved to be a good investment. Interesting to wonder what it would truly take to commit career suicide

I am not clear how him getting dropped from his label would prevent another episode of this in the future, be it someone famous and beautiful and powerful like Rihanna, or some random star-struck gal? Punishing his wallet and career isn't going to prevent him from beating up the next girl.

• He shoulda gotten dropped because fuck him.

I'm not making some grand deterrence argument.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What he did couldn't have been that bad if he's more popular than ever now and she still loves him.

Who's prepared to accept the ugly truth?

• Reynaldo said:
    What he did couldn't have been that bad if he's more popular than ever now and she still loves him.

Who's prepared to accept the ugly truth?

that he has an effective publicists/marketting team and that she may be trapped in a cycle of abuse don't detract from the fact of what he did. there is something very low about beating a woman half your size to a pulp. that said i don't think he's quite on hitler's level.

for me, the ugly truth is that the public's memory fades fast.

My takeaway was: don't step to or talk shit to a grown man and not expect to get hit.

• minimini 879 Posts
    CD Sticker On Chris Brown Albums Sold at HMV in London Warns: ???This Man Beats Women.???

"Ouch. Chris Brown???s image took a (deserved) smack on the chin when it was discovered that copies of his album Fortune being sold in HMV stores in London, England were tagged by an anonymous source believed to be anti-domestic-violence activists with a warning label stating: ???Do Not Buy This Album! This Man Beats Women.??? As everyone recalls, the highly-unlikeable-to-everyone-except-teenage-girls R&B singer with horrible tattoos and a personality to match pleaded guilty to physically abusing ex-girlfriend Rihanna three years ago and then threw temper tantrums when reporters asked him about the incident. Whoever hit up these CD covers: keep stickin??? ???em like the Fat Boys."

http://www.egotripland.com/chris-brown-beats-women-cd-sticker/

• I usually lurk here , but I have a question I always wondered - do the same people who boycott/hate Chris brown also hold the same amount of contempt for, say Dr. Dre? Dre has had an excellent career and never really suffered a fallout from beating,choking,throwing a woman. Is it because the person Chris Brown beat is famous? Because Dr. Dre's music is better? He refused to apologize so it can't be that he showed remorse....

I would never listen to Chris browns music before or after the beating and condemn what he did. I'm just curious if the people who get enraged over him also boycott similar artists.

Bump because this is, imho, the best and most perceptive bit of music writing I've read in ages.

Disclosure: Jude is my homegirl and all, but even if she wasn't, I'd still think this was good shit.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Cheers Doc, I read the whole thing.

I had read earlier this week that she'd asked the crowd to chant the names of her sponsors. I mean, f*cking Budweiser.

Here:
    Rihanna's usual live environment is the arena, in shows heavy on spectacle and costume changes. Arguably the hard dance beats and over the top rock posturing of her band are better served in this dingy, beery 2000 capacity rock venue where she is launching her new album, Unapologetic. But first, a word from her tour sponsors. "Everyone say ACT, say Budweiser, say River Island" the American star instructs her fans in an act of shameless commercial cross marketing. But then, like most modern pop stars, Rihanna is essentially a brand herself.
    - Neil McCormick, Telegraph

BTW I think ACT should be HTC (the phones she's doling out? Good f*cking mobies, btw)

I get the feeling, in all, that she's a girl from a poor, f*cked-up family that has been lucky enough to have the good genes and lack of shame required to get picked up by a major and be mercilessly rag-dolled through any, and all, of the hoops without complaining. I don't think she has the strength of character to object, and I think, in all, it's probably a much sweeter deal than staying at home in Barbados.

I think, in the horrible greyness that lies between black and white, that in CB she had someone who took care of her, which I think is what she really needs, in return for going along with everything he said, until she pressed the wrong button. Ike and Tina again?

Yeah, you may well be at least partially right there, if not dead-on. Most people's response to such an analysis, however, would be along the lines of "cry me a river"/"world's smallest violin", and that tells an interesting story in itself.

I saw her at the Academy a couple of years ago, back when she was shilling for Nokia (sign of the times right there), and I found myself thinking what a stroke of genius it was to try and reposition her as an r&b android version of peak-era Grace Jones. In the short time between then and now, both circumstances and a phalanx of marketing departments have conspired to suck every last drop of joy from the whole sorry enterprise. I'm old, so I think I'm entitled to feel a little bit estranged from pop music, but feeling that way would occasionally bother me all the same. But after reading that piece, the idea of anyone having an emotional investment in a popstar - always a little bit daft, albeit likeably so - suddenly seems fucking ludicrous.

BTW, McCormick isn't fit to clip Jude's toenails - the very worst kind of lazy, will-this-do hackery. Massive clanger from the subs there too, especially since the word is his work always needs heavy subbing anyway.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    I can kind of see the "Small violin" stance - "Why does she stick with such a knobhead? Go wipe the tears with banknotes etc." But in the air-kissing sea of insincerity that is The Biz, perhaps he's the Devil she knows.

I once pursued a girl who I found absolutely delightful (and fit-as-f*ck, of course). She was with a complete twat, as was evident to the entire world. All her friends would tell her such. She admitted as much herself, but despite me putting too many cards on the table, she still wasn't interested.

I could have gotten all "What's wrong with me, compared to that twat..." etc. But no. That's not my style.

Her friend went like a sh*thouse-door-when-the-plague's-in-town, doe. Like a bandit. So, y'know... every cloud.

funkdoctor said:
    I usually lurk here , but I have a question I always wondered - do the same people who boycott/hate Chris brown also hold the same amount of contempt for, say Dr. Dre? Dre has had an excellent career and never really suffered a fallout from beating,choking,throwing a woman. Is it because the person Chris Brown beat is famous? Because Dr. Dre's music is better? He refused to apologize so it can't be that he showed remorse....

I would never listen to Chris browns music before or after the beating and condemn what he did. I'm just curious if the people who get enraged over him also boycott similar artists.

I missed this bump, but it raises an interesting point.

First of all, I personally don't boycott anyone or anything. Your mileage may vary.

I think the two examples you give are very different. First of all, The Dre/Dee Barnes incident took place in the days of old media, and before rap music was the multi-billion dollar industry it later became. Relatively speaking, it was covered as widely as you would expect it to be - possibly more so, given NWA's notoriety. He pleaded no contest to the lawsuit, so I dunno if that counts as "no remorse". Either way, he didn't get away with it.

Chris Brown, on the other hand, is a teen idol in the age of Twitter and Facebook who put a woman in hospital, only for his legions of fans to play the Ren/Cube "bitch had it comin'" role. Whether or not you or I consider him a "role model", there are a great many people who do. Nobody would ever expect Dre to be a role model, and the incident with Dee Barnes didn't result in any serious debate as regards domestic violence, abusive relationships, etc. By and large, it was considered to be another case of Rappers Behaving Badly.

Any similarities lie in the fact that neither man's career seriously suffered as a result, and that people are still making flippant remarks about beating up women, so not a whole lot has changed in the last 21 years. Personally, rap music isn't the first place I'd go looking for anything that'd instigate a change in attitudes anyway, but perhaps that's just me.

J i m s t e r said:

I think, in the horrible greyness that lies between black and white, that in CB she had someone who took care of her, which I think is what she really needs, in return for going along with everything he said, until she pressed the wrong button.

What she really needs is to learn how to take care of herself.

bassie said:
    J i m s t e r said:

I think, in the horrible greyness that lies between black and white, that in CB she had someone who took care of her, which I think is what she really needs, in return for going along with everything he said, until she pressed the wrong button.

What she really needs is to learn how to take care of herself.
    That's not as sexy.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Bump because this is, imho, the best and most perceptive bit of music writing I've read in ages.

Disclosure: Jude is my homegirl and all, but even if she wasn't, I'd still think this was good shit.

Good piece. Rihanna or Chris Brown strike me as being none too bright and all about the money so I guess they are perfect ciphers for label ambitions. It's aggressive cynicism which gets remarketed and swallowed whole as swagger. On that score, she and Brown are a pretty even match.

I've seen her live several times (don't ask) and she really is a lazy performer - it's all crotch action, shout outs and pre-recorded vocals. The London show I went to a couple of months ago was pretty typical - she came on very late, kept her baseball cap down over her face at all times, hardly sang a word and proceeded to severely test the patience of what had been a very excited crowd. When she started shouting "London, say my name!" not only did no-one take up the chant but the guy next to me wearing his Rihanna T-shirt shouted back "I've just paid ??70 for ticket, say your own fucking name".

• Reynaldo said:
    My takeaway was: don't step to or talk shit to a grown man and not expect to get hit.

But what about stepping to a sociopathic toddler?

CB is no more a man than an entitled child.

The_Hook_Up said:
    Reynaldo said:

But what about stepping to a sociopathic toddler?

CB is no more a man than an entitled child.
    Expect to get hit.