whatsup with the defense authorization act??

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
so suspected terrorists, non citizens and citizens, can be picked up and be held indefinitely?
there has been a very liberal interpretation of domestic terrorism in the last decade...if obama doesn't veto, we are well lined up for a homeland police state situation on our hands.

am i missing something?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Link?

Sounds bad.

We know that millions of dollars that Homeland Security gave to local police departments to prepare for terrorist attacks have been used to suppress the OWS movement.
    I don't think anyone will be surprised when it comes out that local police depts. have been spying on OWSers using powers they feel they have under anti-terrorism laws.
    Most cities have joint FBI/Police anti-terrorism task forces. Are they mobilizing against OWSers? You can bet on it.

• for real, what the fuck

this basically makes it legal to disappear people

and couple this with unlimited amount of many that corporate world can pour into politics, we have an ugly equation

saba?
    mottown?
    rock?
    frankie??

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Sounds bad.

We know that millions of dollars that Homeland Security gave to local police departments to prepare for terrorist attacks have been used to suppress the OWS movement.

How do we know this?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    for real, what the fuck

this basically makes it legal to disappear people

and couple this with unlimited amount of many that corporate world can pour into politics, we have an ugly equation

rock?

The majority of our citizens don't really care one way or the other because they are confident this will never have a negative effect on them and that the potential is greater that it will do more good than harm.

A lesser percentage of our citizens don't like this because they think that it could be used against totally innocent people and create a police state and have the potential to do more harm than good..

And there are a few citizens who are involved with terrorist groups or activities who really hate it and see it as one more obstacle to reaching their ultimate goal.

To me it's like any other law....if it's used properly it could do some good....if it's abused there will be consequences.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Sounds bad.

How do we know this?

I don't know about "millions of dollars" Homeland Security gave but officials said Homeland Security advised them. To what extent is unknown still and HS isn't exactly going to answer questions.

http://www.examiner.com/top-news-in-minneapolis/were-occupy-crackdowns-aided-by-federal-law-enforcement-agencies#ixzz1dsiSbfyh

• i seem to recall reading that police departments have received military grade equipment. whatever that sound wave blasting thing in nyc was last month probably isnt standard police issue

• the first casualty!!!!!

we need you to drop some science, dude! if they already got you , they may come for me next!

• tripledouble said:
    i seem to recall reading that police departments have received military grade equipment. whatever that sound wave blasting thing in nyc was last month probably isnt standard police issue
    Yes, a number of technologies developed for Iraq and Afghanistan are being adopted by domestic police.

Here's an excellent Frontline report on the terrorism industrial complex and "9/11's unprecedented yet largely invisible legacy"

Watch Top Secret America on PBS. See more from FRONTLINE.

billbradley said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Sounds bad.

How do we know this?

I don't know about "millions of dollars" Homeland Security gave but officials said Homeland Security advised them. To what extent is unknown still and HS isn't exactly going to answer questions.

http://www.examiner.com/top-news-in-minneapolis/were-occupy-crackdowns-aided-by-federal-law-enforcement-agencies#ixzz1dsiSbfyh

Thanks for the link, bill. Informative piece.

Article says nothing about millions of dollars from DHS though, as you indicated it wouldn't. So my question still stands. Not directed at you of course, but more to the person that made the claim.

Sorry. I should have said, those of us who read, and are informed, know that millions of dollars that Homeland Security gave to local police departments to prepare for terrorist attacks have been used to suppress the OWS movement.

For a decade now it has been in the news that HSA has aided police in buying new equipment, including, vehicles and weapons.

This is not news. Local papers have run the story about their local police depts getting these grants, all across the country.

In the last few weeks alternative media has shown these weapons and vehicles being deployed against the occupy movement.

We do not know, but it is fair to assume, other high tech decives (listening devices, sound trucks?...) have been used against OWS. We do not know, but it is fair to assume, Patriot Act laws have been used to spy on OWS.

This is not wild conspiracy stuff. This is stuff that any one who has read history, and daily papers can understand.

7 senators voted against the act. Only 7 including both of mine.

Someone google the rest please.

LaserWolf said:
    Sorry. I should have said, those of us who read, and are informed, know that millions of dollars that Homeland Security gave to local police departments to prepare for terrorist attacks have been used to suppress the OWS movement.

For a decade now it has been in the news that HSA has aided police in buying new equipment, including, vehicles and weapons.

This is not news. Local papers have run the story about their local police depts getting these grants, all across the country.

In the last few weeks alternative media has shown these weapons and vehicles being deployed against the occupy movement.

We do not know, but it is fair to assume, other high tech decives (listening devices, sound trucks?...) have been used against OWS. We do not know, but it is fair to assume, Patriot Act laws have been used to spy on OWS.

This is not wild conspiracy stuff. This is stuff that any one who has read history, and daily papers can understand.

So you don't have a link to back up your claim. I kind of thought so. I didn't know, but it was fair to assume.

Bon Vivant said:

So you don't have a link to back up your claim. I kind of thought so. I didn't know, but it was fair to assume.

Facts, we don't need no steenking facts.

b/w

Is there an Occupy Norway?

Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:

b/w

Maybe there's an Occupy Asgard?

Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:

b/w

Zactly

DwightEvansRifle said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:

b/w

Zactly

Lots of Nazis at Occupy Asgard worshiping Thor, of course.

We don't know, but it's fair to assume.

LaserWolf said:
    7 senators voted against the act. Only 7 including both of mine.

Someone google the rest please.

I might be one of the few here, but I think this is a very important topic. I thank 32 and Day for bringing it to my attention.
    I was running out of the house Saturday night and didn't have time to do the google, so I did it now.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2011-218

Voted No:
    IA Harkin, Thomas [D]
    KY Paul, Rand [R]
    OK Coburn, Thomas [R]
    OR Merkley, Jeff [D]
    OR Wyden, Ron [D]
    UT Lee, Mike [R]
    VT Sanders, Bernard [I]

DwightEvansRifle said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:

b/w

Zactly

Lots of Nazis at Occupy Asgard worshiping Thor, of course.

We don't know, but it's fair to assume.

Yes. You all are right. Please ignore my post. I have no link, no facts, no Norway [?], Don't even know what Asgard is and I may or may not believe that Thor worshiped nazis.

Please be advised that I will continue to post my opinions, conjectures, assumptions, presumptions and conclusions.
    Feel free to ignore those posts as well.

Obama has promised a veto, but the Senate has more than enough votes for an override.

What do people think the future of this will be?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Obama has promised a veto, but the Senate has more than enough votes for an override.

In 95 when people asked about the future and I told them about black helicopters they laughed.

In the future I expect apologies.

• LaserWolf said:

This president pass up an opportunity to expand Executive power? Dream on. You really need to stop listening to what Obama says and start paying closer attention to what he does.

My guess is that police will go door to door and abduct anyone with outstanding warrants, funny last names or Che Guevara t-shirts. They will drug them and implant computer chips right behind their left ear which will monitor their thoughts. The chip is programmed to send an electrical shock through that person???s body if they think or say anything negative about America, Barack Obama or the New York Yankees.

More serious criminals like Jay Walkers and those who vandalize public property with chalk will be immediately dispatched to an underground jail somewhere in New Mexico where they will be water boarded 3 times a day and forced to dig through shale with their bare hands to extract natural gas for the ???Oil Companies???.

The only ones who will be spared this corporately funded military complex abduction and torture are known/self proclaimed terrorists, members of organizations dedicated to the violent overthrow of our government and people who can prove they are space aliens.

Like every other law on our books it will be abused by the police so it doesn???t really matter how the law is written, the pigs will do whatever they want and you will have no recourse. There will be invisible helicopters (Black helicopters are so 1995) circling your home 24/7 that will spray chem.-trails on your family when they are not looking. These chem-trails will make you crave trans fats and the music of Wayne Newton.

The good news is that anyone living outside the country or undocumented citizens living in the U.S. are safe as our government has no authority to implant chips in them.

I don???t have any proof that any of the above is even close to being true but I think it???s fair to assume it???s all true, or at the very least, was an episode of The Alex Jones Show.

• Rock, i'm glad youre taking it lightheartedly.
    Maybe its nothing. Maybe i got reminded yesterday by watching footage of movement leader Fred Hampton getting murdered in his bed at 430am by unprovoked police bullets, 90 of them, that the powers that be will protect their interests no matter what legal constraints may be. legislation facilitating that just makes it seem all the more likely that it will happen. cointelpro 2012

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rockadelic said:My guess is that police will go door to door and abduct anyone with outstanding warrants, funny last names or Che Guevara t-shirts. They will drug them and implant computer chips right behind their left ear which will monitor their thoughts. The chip is programmed to send an electrical shock through that person???s body if they think or say anything negative about America, Barack Obama or the New York Yankees.

More serious criminals like Jay Walkers and those who vandalize public property with chalk will be immediately dispatched to an underground jail somewhere in New Mexico where they will be water boarded 3 times a day and forced to dig through shale with their bare hands to extract natural gas for the ???Oil Companies???.

The only ones who will be spared this corporately funded military complex abduction and torture are known/self proclaimed terrorists, members of organizations dedicated to the violent overthrow of our government and people who can prove they are space aliens.

Like every other law on our books it will be abused by the police so it doesn???t really matter how the law is written, the pigs will do whatever they want and you will have no recourse. There will be invisible helicopters (Black helicopters are so 1995) circling your home 24/7 that will spray chem.-trails on your family when they are not looking. These chem-trails will make you crave trans fats and the music of Wayne Newton.

The good news is that anyone living outside the country or undocumented citizens living in the U.S. are safe as our government has no authority to implant chips in them.

I don???t have any proof that any of the above is even close to being true but I think it???s fair to assume it???s all true, or at the very least, was an episode of The Alex Jones Show.

tripledouble said:
    Rock, i'm glad youre taking it lightheartedly.
    Maybe its nothing. Maybe i got reminded yesterday by watching footage of movement leader Fred Hampton getting murdered in his bed at 430am by unprovoked police bullets, 90 of them, that the powers that be will protect their interests no matter what legal constraints may be. legislation facilitating that just makes it seem all the more likely that it will happen. cointelpro 2012

You asked for my comments earlier in the thread and I gave a serious answer to which you didn't reply.

If the government is going to assassinate someone they obviously don't need a law in place to do so.

HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    My guess is that police will go door to door and abduct anyone with outstanding warrants, funny last names or Che Guevara t-shirts. They will drug them and implant computer chips right behind their left ear which will monitor their thoughts. The chip is programmed to send an electrical shock through that person???s body if they think or say anything negative about America, Barack Obama or the New York Yankees.

As if Chem-Trails weren't enough....I had to throw in Alex Jones.