Hitting your child.

124»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Contact sports shoould be eliminated from schools.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    $ugar $weatz said:
    I try hard to live a life without violence. I don't use force to solve all of life's problems. I don't use my fists to convince my girlfriend to make me grilled cheese, I ask her nicely. But this isn't about grilled cheese, it's about boundries and parental responsibilities. I don't have children, so I can't speak on that. I have god-children that I'm very close to, but I couldn't imagine using violence to discipilne them. I only know what's it's like to be the kid getting hit. I can speak on that.

I grew up in a life filled with domestic violence. When I was 6 years old I witnessed my mother being beaten and raped. The man who raped my mother, died by his own hand. Which was lucky for him, cuz I was waiting for when I grew up, so I could terrorize him. I made an un-easy peace with the step-father who used to whip me with a leather belt. I guess he implemented the methods used by his father. When I got older i started to fight back (defend myself). There were some messy fights. I left home at 14. I never went back. The cuts healed, scars and welts faded. I challked it up to him not having much experience in raising the bastard child of another man. Things are O.K. now, bygones be bygones and all that. Oddly enough, he never once strapped my little brother, his flesh and blood son. whatever.

There is nothing a child can do that is so serious that requires a beating. Kids make mistakes all the time. Children do not consistantly consider the consequences of their actions. This is a reasoning tool that develops through time and experience. Parents need to understand that. We need to stop the cycle of violence within the family.

This is a real no-brainer: don't hit your children. It's wrong and will only create deep seated resentment and pain.

Everyone should read this post.

• advice to live by...

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    THE WORST PUNISHMENT: