Hitting your child.

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
I got the belt when I was a kid. I'm not actually pissed at getting it at all.

That said. If you do shit like this. You need to be put away...

This is a Texas judge.

Warning - NSFW

Her crime. Going on the computer.

Shit like this makes me very angry.

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Barbaric and uncalled for.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I can't see the video, but being in education right now, these undergrads needed to be hit more as youths.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Like I stated. I got the belt when I was a kid. I'm not sure how effective it was overall in the grand scheme of things. But I don't look at my folk being mad at all about it.

That said, I would never hit my child ever.

That video makes me extremely angry. The fact that the guy is a family court judge blows it even more so.

"This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy prohibiting hate speech.
    Sorry about that."

Hate Speech?

Updated link above.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    That video is horrifying. That man is not spanking is child, he is making a deliberate effort to cause her pain. Taking a belt to a screaming girl's legs? Abuse, no question.

I got spanked plenty, but never like that. It was usually with the back of a house slipper. However, I was a well-behaved kid and do harbor some resentment that I was spanked just because my mom couldn't think of any other way to deal with us.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My parents spanking me (with a belt at times) never bothered me. Being grounded from stuff I wanted to do with friends scarred me for life though.

• a good wooden spooning to the extent it breaks over your arse is all good! beyond that, unnecessary!

• fear is the ultimate goal. i think that can be acheived without striking your child.

• That is some hideous, sadistic shit.

People like that are not fit to be parents.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I got the odd slap as a kid, I deserved it. Some of the stuff I said and did... phew.... No bruises or clenched fist business, just putting me in my place. I've got 2 boys myself and have slapped them when I thought their behaviour warranted it. Literally, 2 or 3 times in 9 years. There were brief tears but we talked it out and they apologised. We are not the kind of parents to tolerate tantrums. Now, a dirty look from the wife is as effective as the Medusa. Believe me, I've seen enough of them.

It usually stems from your parent's Plan-B approach and also what is acceptable in your local cultural experience. The judge has probably been battered by his pop all his infant life. I have friends from Africa and India and their folks weren't into resolving things by hand-wringing. And their fams are tight as.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Sheer brutality apart, this isn't punishment, it's humiliation. Punishment leaves the door open to retrieving your self respect. But here the message is completely lost leaving only anger and the desire for revenge. She's got hers now.

• My parents never hit me. I made an effort to stay out of trouble because I respected them. That isn't to say I didn't do bad shit, but I was careful about not pushing it. There are a lot of other ways to discipline kids. Like Harvey said, most kids are more afraid of losing privileges than getting hit. I couldn't imagine ever hitting my daughter, but she is only 15 months old. Ask me this question when she is 15 years old and I might have a different answer.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    OK, this is now doing the rounds in the UK. I still don't feel the need to watch it - I'll settle for the word of you guys.

Irrespective of the debate this is sure to spark over issues of corporal punishment, this guy's career is a wrap.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    "2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter."

"Though the video was uploaded on October 27, it wasn't until today that it began to receive attention???thanks to the popular link-sharing site Reddit, where a poster identifying herself as Hillary Adams shared it (with the title "Family law judge beats own daughter for using the internet, please spread"), writing that she'd decided to post the video (which she'd been "holding onto... until the right time") after receiving "a barrage of harassment" from her father over the phone.

Posting to Reddit was the right move. The site, which has a strong protective streak, quickly sprung into action. Posters, encouraging others to call and write, provided links and phone numbers to news outlets, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, the State Commission on Judicial Conduct???and to the judge's place of work. As is not uncommon in situations like this, the official Aransas County website is down as of this post, likely thanks to heavy traffic from Reddit."

gawker article

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I hope she gets up one night and slits their throats.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Now, I hope you guys know me well enough to know I'm not someone who rushes to point the finger at the US in an attempt to win some kind of Regional Morality Point-Scoring contest, but I've just been sent this link. Seems as if Hilary Adams may have dodged a bullet...

• I can't even bring myself to watch this.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    http://pastebin.com/8Gm5608H

that didn't take long...

• Thats hardly dox.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Thats hardly dox.

I agree, I bet his cell phone has been blowing up though.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Child abuse plain and simple....dude should be charged with a crime and prosecuted.

I'm wondering if the fact that this happened 7 years ago will prevent that from happening.

I think the statute of limitations is 5 years.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/CR/1/12/12.01

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When these threads pop up I am always surprised by how many of us (including myself) were beaten.

More surprising (and sickening) is how many of us condone beating children.

• LaserWolf said:
    When these threads pop up I am always surprised by how many of us (including myself) were beaten.

More surprising (and sickening) is how many of us condone beating children.

I think your definition of 'beating' might differ from some others here.

I received the occasional physical reprimand (which doesn't bother me), but I was never beaten.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Child abuse plain and simple....dude should be charged with a crime and prosecuted.

I'm wondering if the fact that this happened 7 years ago will prevent that from happening.

She's a member on Reddit. She say's that she just couldn't take the abuse any longer and finally decided to show her father for the person he actually is.

I'm betting that even if he doesn't go to jail, he will probably lose his job. But more important, he will receive his karma for life now.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DOR said:
    Rockadelic said:

She's a member on Reddit. She say's that she just couldn't take the abuse any longer and finally decided to show her father for the person he actually is.

I'm betting that even if he doesn't go to jail, he will probably lose his job. But more important, he will receive his karma for life now.

Or he will become a hero for having the courage to discipline his daughter and will go on all the talk shows and write a best selling book and be appointed by President Perry to the federal court.

• LaserWolf said:
    DOR said:
    Rockadelic said:

Or he will become a hero for having the courage to discipline his daughter and will go on all the talk shows and write a best selling book and be appointed by President Perry to the federal court.

Disturbing attempt at sarcasm?

Anyway,whether or not the statute of limitations thing prevents his prosecution, I hope everyone that asshole knows sees the video, kicks him out of the country club and never takes his calls again.

• By a strange coincidence, this story about about a similarly-named judge in the UK who beat his wife appeared earlier today... http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/nov/02/judge-who-beat-wife-sacked

• fuuuucked up. poor kid.
    im definitely not in the "never lay a hand on your kids" camp, but there is a line separating parenting and humiliation/abuse that no one should even get anywhere close to.

i got the occasional spanking or slap. in middle school my dad would pluck me in the head when i said something ignorant. that shit stung! after while he'd just flash pluck formation and i'd know i was out of line. in high school i cursed my mom out and my pop came upstairs and punched me twice in the face. he apologized later but i'm glad he did it. i never cursed my mom out again. i dont think my folks were ever out of line with their "beatings".

• what would you all do if you saw a parent beating/abusing a child in public and crossing what yo ufelt was the line of parenting and abuse? would you intervene?

my friend used to be real bent out of shape by the verbal bullying that youd see mothers do to their kids in public fairly regularly in philly. he told me each time he witnessed it he was going to walk up to the parent and say "shut up!" i told him to be prepared to get punched in the face

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    what would you all do if you saw a parent beating/abusing a child in public and crossing what yo ufelt was the line of parenting and abuse? would you intervene?

Yea - I have. It was ugly, but she stopped twisting his arm...for that moment anyway. It is a such a complicated situation. I can't stand by if I see a kid being hurt on purpose...but will they suffer for it twice as badly later on when they are out sight?
    I ended up busting out into tears after I got off the bus - shit was stressful in all kinds of ways.

Growing up, I got slapped here and there and got the belt only once when I sauntered home from school after 7. I could tell how scared my parents were when they rolled up to me en route. They had been driving around looking for me for three hours....while I played in my friend's underground garage (shudder). I guess my parents couldn't find the words for their fear and didn't know what else to do to drive the message home.
    I definitely don't resent it now as an adult, but were I to be a parent, I would not want to hit for discipline.