Top 20 Greatest L.A. Rap Albums Of All Time: The Complete List

13»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    That's a little too removed for me lol

Compound means people will want to stay and be fed....no.
    Get your party on and come sunrise, you all need to go home!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    staxwax said:
    Dj Quik i never really went for either as he seemed to be a bit of an afterbirth to me at the time.

Your loss, homie.

Seriously. Quik is the shit. You'd do well to go back and play those albums again.

I will reevaluate the one Dj Quik

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    batmon said:
    Long Beach is LA?
    Brooklyn is Bronx?
    Pomona is South Central?

Dude, what are you are goin on about?

Drive 30 miles in any direction from Downtown LA and as far as most people are concerned your still in LA - sometimes LA city, definitely LA county. I grew up 24 miles south of Downtown in Pedro and we were LAPD, LAUSD and DWP. Santa Monica/Venice is LA, Compton is LA, Long Beach is LA as far as culture and sometimes even Law. The IE and Orange County get a pass too when speaking about LA, Quik now resides there but he's still LA. Alkaholiks were from Dena, FF13 was Leimert, Cypress was from offa the 10. We're all LA.

please to stop this ridiculousness.

My bad, my geography is off. I figured that dudes repped their specific areas and didnt claim the overall.

So were talkin LA county as a whole and not the City of Los Angeles proper. Or there is no proper?

• Well there is not really an LA proper as far as cultural differences i think. There is a distinct LA city line but arbitrary shoestrings and political divisions were created for a variety of reasons back in the day - many times to isolate people through race based land provisions - which is how we ended up with the "ethnoburb". I'm largely simplifying it but Cube got bussed like 35 miles a way from his house to go to high school in the valley off of these weird provisions - the same reason i went to school with a ungodly amount of bused in gangsters from all parts of the city.

So that said, I think LA "rap" includes all of these parts of the valley, basin and IE. LA county, is huge:

Cool. I had this idea that there was a "distinct" LA like Manhattan in NYC.
    Like u cant claim NY NY if your in Long Island or Brooklyn.
    Looking at the list a bet she meant LA on the whole and not some super specific shit.
    My bad.

• Saul good, and honestly, I didn't know NY rap only referred to Manhattan. I always thought of, say De La as an NY rap group.

• De La may be Long Island to a Manhattan or BK or Queens dude.

But De La is NY to every person on the planet who doesn't live in NY.

• batmon said:
    U cant claim NY NY if your in Long Island or Brooklyn.

Is this right? So many rappeurs I always thought of as NY just got crossed off the list :down:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

Still waiting on the Catalina hip-hop scene to blow up

• batmon said:

dude.

no.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    ^ MC Wrigley and DJ Big Red

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:

dude.

no.

"Rough and rugged, stronger than Bounty
    New York is the city, Bronx is the county"

If your from the 5 boroughs you are from NY City. Manhattan is New York, New York.

New Rochelle is not The Bronx or NYC, but is NY state, in Westchester County, NY.

De La Soul is from Amytiville, Long Island and has repped that since day one. The are not inner city mcs.

There are distinctive regional differences here in NYC.

• I don't think anyone's confused about that. Anyone who is a fan of NY rap understands (at the very, very least) the difference between Queens and BK. And there's a ton of other geographic distinctions.

But to a non-NY cat, this is all "NY rap" generally. At least in contradistinction to W coast rap.

Historically LA cats may have claimed their specific hood (Compton, Long Beach, W LA), but are not above repping LA as a whole usually. And, come to think of it, neither are NY rappers. Folks who generally rep uptown or BK will still still find occasion to "claim" NY, Empire State, etc. when it suits them no?

rootlesscosmo said:
    I don't think anyone's confused about that. Anyone who is a fan of NY rap understands (at the very, very least) the difference between Queens and BK. And there's a ton of other geographic distinctions.

But to a non-NY cat, this is all "NY rap" generally. At least in contradistinction to W coast rap.

Historically LA cats may have claimed their specific hood (Compton, Long Beach, W LA), but are not above repping LA as a whole usually. And, come to think of it, neither are NY rappers. Folks who generally rep uptown or BK will still still find occasion to "claim" NY, Empire State, etc. when it suits them no?

Of course, but i interpreted the list as LA proper and me not knowing the sub divisions.
    If someone asked about the top Manhattan albums i would list them.And they have the space to ask NY, NY.
    If it was NYC i would list the 5 boroughs. If it was NY state i would include Long Island and Westchester, Buffalo, The 'Cuse, and Albany. New York Area could also envelop the Tri-State.

• There's a medical insurance commercial that says they cover "These Los Angeles counties" and shows Orange, Riverside, Ventura, LA and San Bernardino County. I can't stand behind that.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Guzzo said:

I was just gonna say - whats up with that Catalina Isle heat?

• staxwax said:
    Guzzo said:

I was just gonna say - whats up with that Catalina Isle heat?