Top 20 Greatest L.A. Rap Albums Of All Time: The Complete List

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    COMPTON'S MOST WANTED, DAMMIT.

• WTF, its not even a madlib album, just a tribute to J Dilla.
    Jesus christ thats a stupid fucking pick.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Who is Rebecca Haithcoat and how can we get her to post on the Strut?

Still, the quartet skips through an album that seems written in Crayolas and broadcast in Technicolor

The album is indignant, but, due to Dr. Dre and DJ Yella's production and surprisingly sunny samples, also quite funky

Good to see critics finally realise that the groundbreaking masterwork Bizarre Ride easily outstrips Cube's yawn inducing Death Certificate.

• this might be the worst "top xx" list i've ever read in my life.

• vintageinfants said:
    this might be the worst "top xx" list i've ever read in my life.

Im shocked.

• i'm going to compile a top 25 list of the worst top 25 lists i've ever read, dont worry.

no PoMo

Junior said:

Good to see critics finally realise that the groundbreaking masterwork Bizarre Ride easily outstrips Cube's yawn inducing Death Certificate.

Always loved Bizarre Ride...but plaese to be serious on Death Certificate.

HarveyCanal said:
    Junior said:

Never fear, my post was less than entirely serious, more a badly disguised attempt to distract people from the inclusion of Goblin in the list and the subsequent Odd Future fun and games discussion that could lead to again. I'd happily put Death Certificate in the top three.

Junior said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Junior said:

Never fear, my post was less than entirely serious, more a badly disguised attempt to distract people from the inclusion of Goblin in the list and the subsequent Odd Future fun and games discussion that could lead to again. I'd happily put Death Certificate in the top three.

Okay, whew...that really would have surprised me for you to actually say that.

I catch flak from many as I'm one who rates Amerikkka's Most ahead of Death Certificate...but still Death Certificate is undeniable.

And yeah, they got Tyler the Creator ahead of Eazy Duz It...c'mon now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    How seriously are you all trying to take a rag that has "DJ Culture - Girls Who Love Skrillex" (shouldn't that be a Hair Culture piece instead?) and "F*ck Guilty - Chris Brown Can Do No Wrong" features?

Though Chris Brown can actually rap.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    What a hoopty list. At least they got Street Gospel in there

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    jjfad027 said:

This.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    jjfad027 said:

This.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    COMPTON'S MOST WANTED, DAMMIT.

Martin said:
    It seems like the only requirement to be a music journalist is an internet connection.

Writer: Hey LA Weekly, I'd like to pitch an article on the 20 greatest LA rap albums of all-time.

LA Weekly: Well, how long have you been into LA rap?

Writer: Oh, at least a whole 5 minutes.

LA Weekly: Wow, that's a lot. Okay, so we'll let you do it, but only if you do the article in conjunction with 4 other writers who have only been into LA rap 1, 2, 3, and 4 minutes respectively.

Writer: Perfect!

This is def in my top 20

• minimini 879 Posts
    How about this?

• jjfad027 said:
    What a hoopty list. At least they got Innercity Griots in there

• Im not sure what I'm more puzzled by: that the fellowship has a new album, or that they've apparently added Charlie Murphy as a 5th member.

• Martin said:
    It seems like the only requirement to be a music journalist is an internet connection.

So true! The top 8 are solid picks, but the order is all messed up.

A big barf & WTF for:

Madlib Beat Konducta 5-6
    Blue & Exile
    Tyler (are they smoking crack? This shit sucked!)
    The Game Doctor's Advocate

Off the top I would have to note these albums for consideration. (In no particular order).

Aceyalone "Book of Human Language"
    Pharcyde "Labcab.."
    WC "Ain't A Damn Thang Changed"
    Ice Cube "Lethal Injection"
    MC Ren "Shock of the Hour"

• Nuts on Your Chin is better than Tyler the fucking Goblin or whatever.

If I made that list, Death Certificate would be #1.

HarveyCanal said:

Okay, whew...that really would have surprised me for you to actually say that.

I catch flak from many as I'm one who rates Amerikkka's Most ahead of Death Certificate...but still Death Certificate is undeniable.

Yeah after being heavily in favour of Death Certificate for years I'm almost at the point these days where either/or would do though I still naturally lean towards the latter as the superior overall album.

This whole list reeks of trying to please all fan groups and in the end satisfying none of them.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I think the problem is that somebody changed the headline; it should've been "20 L.A. Rap Albums: The Complete List"

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

HarveyCanal said:

I like AMW more than DC. But DC is way more of an LA rap album than AMW. I'm not sure I'd even include AMW on a greatest LA rap album list.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I like AMW more than DC. But DC is way more of an LA rap album than AMW. I'm not sure I'd even include AMW on a greatest LA rap album list.

Once Upon A Time In the Projects is in NYC? LA dont have projects?

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cube went to NY to record AMW. That makes it a NY album, not an LA album

Exactly, that's my point.