Top 20 Greatest L.A. Rap Albums Of All Time: The Complete List

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cube went to NY to record AMW. That makes it a NY album, not an LA album

I can understand all that yet none of the raps are ny centric. This is an LA artist produced by LA and NYC cats and i never thought of that album as a NY album. Errythang was coproduced by Sir Jinx. So its not like dude gave himeslf up totally to the Bomb Squad.

Whos The Mack, The Drive By, Rollin Wit The Lench Mob, You Cant Fade Me, etc didnt sound like any NY Hip Hop.

Yes, there are some themes that are "general" hip hop ideas bubt to me its still filtered through a west coast lens.
    When i pop that shit in i dont and didnt embrace this as Ice Cube doin NY shit in the way Kool G Rap &Polo; went West and Souf with Live and Let Die.

Dude still had muthafickin Jheri curls!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I guess it's (AMW) just more ubiquitous for me. I wouldn't call it an LA LP or a NY LP. I can't listen to any part of Death Cert that doesn't make me think of LA.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Talk to an LA rapper who grew up on Ice Cube and they will likely cite Amerikkka's Most as providing the blueprint for 90% of all Cali raps to come after it. In other words, there is no way in hell that album isn't an LA album.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    batmon said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cube went to NY to record AMW. That makes it a NY album, not an LA album

I can understand all that yet none of the raps are ny centric. This is an LA artist produced by LA and NYC cats and i never thought of that album as a NY album. Errythang was coproduced by Sir Jinx. So its not like dude gave himeslf up totally to the Bomb Squad.

Whos The Mack, The Drive By, Rollin Wit The Lench Mob, You Cant Fade Me, etc didnt sound like any NY Hip Hop.

Yes, there are some themes that are "general" hip hop ideas bubt to me its still filtered through a west coast lens.
    When i pop that shit in i dont and didnt embrace this as Ice Cube doin NY shit in the way Kool G Rap &Polo; went West and Souf with Live and Let Die.

Dude still had muthafickin Jheri curls!

bw

Donald D was originally east coast but I still consider Notorious to be a classic west coast joint

HarveyCanal said:
    Talk to an LA rapper who grew up on Ice Cube and they will likely cite Amerikkka's Most as providing the blueprint for 90% of all Cali raps to come after it. In other words, there is no way in hell that album isn't an LA album.

Would you rank AMW higher than DC on a greatest LA rap list?

jjfad027 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Would you rank AMW higher than DC on a greatest LA rap list?

Yes, as I personally think it's the better album of the 2.

LA weekly list is seriously x100000000000000000000
    I guess this would be my top 20 list in order of personal preference/significance

N.W.A.
    Straight Outta Compton

Dr. Dre
    The Chronic

Ice-T
    Pick one: Rhyme Pays / Power / Freedom Of Speech / OG

Snoop Dogg
    Doggystyle

Ice Cube
    AmeriKKKas Most Wanted

Cypress Hill
    Cypress Hill

Ice Cube
    Death Certificate

Above The Law
    Pick one: Living Like Hustlers / Black Mafia Life / Uncle Sam's Curse

The Pharcyde
    Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

King T
    Pick one: Act A Fool / At Your Own Risk / Tha Triflin' Album / IV Life

Alkaholiks
    Pick one: 21 & Over / Coast II Coast

Eazy-E
    Eazy Duz it

Tone-L??c
    L??c'ed After Dark

Low Profile
    We're In This Together

Dr Dre

D.O.C.
    No One Can Do It Better

WC and the Maad Circle
    Ain't a Damn Thang Changed

CMW
    It's A Compton Thang

Da Lench Mob
    Guerillas In The Mist

Del The Funky Homosapien
    I Wish My Brother George was here

Honorable Mentions:

Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.
    New Funky Nation

Kid Frost
    Hispanic Causing Panic
    /
    Mellow Man Ace
    Escape From Havana

Bloods & Crips
    Bangin' on Wax

Donald D
    Notorious
    /
    7a3
    Coolin In Cali

Young MC
    Stone Cold Rhymin'

• No Cooley High? Eff this ish!!!!!!

:f-u:

• staxwax said:

Del The Funky Homosapien

Oakland, no?

TheKindCromang said:
    staxwax said:

Del The Funky Homosapien

Oakland, no?

Right.

Ill substitute

Warren G
    Regulate...G Funk Era

Long Beach is LA?
    Brooklyn is Bronx?
    Pomona is South Central?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Yeah, LA Weekly is great source to find out about anything what's going on in the city, but their pimping of flavor-of-the-month bands and food places, "little guy fighting The Man" fluff pieces and the "this is the next _______!"/"it's like _______ meets ________!" name-dropping is crap journalism

• Certainly Kool Keith's Bronx origins can also dash the thought of Sex Style repping on a top 20 L.A. rapp list?

(Maybe I need more context besides "Kut Masta Kurt is from Santa Cruz*" *wiki)

• staxwax said:
    LA weekly list is seriously x100000000000000000000
    I guess this would be my top 20 list in order of personal preference/significance

N.W.A.
    Straight Outta Compton

Dr. Dre
    The Chronic

Ice-T
    Pick one: Rhyme Pays / Power / Freedom Of Speech / OG

Snoop Dogg
    Doggystyle

Ice Cube
    AmeriKKKas Most Wanted

Cypress Hill
    Cypress Hill

Ice Cube
    Death Certificate

Above The Law
    Pick one: Living Like Hustlers / Black Mafia Life / Uncle Sam's Curse

The Pharcyde
    Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

King T
    Pick one: Act A Fool / At Your Own Risk / Tha Triflin' Album / IV Life

Alkaholiks
    Pick one: 21 & Over / Coast II Coast

Eazy-E
    Eazy Duz it

Tone-L??c
    L??c'ed After Dark

Low Profile
    We're In This Together

Dr Dre

D.O.C.
    No One Can Do It Better

WC and the Maad Circle
    Ain't a Damn Thang Changed

CMW
    It's A Compton Thang

Da Lench Mob
    Guerillas In The Mist

Del The Funky Homosapien

Honorable Mentions:

Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.
    New Funky Nation

Kid Frost
    Hispanic Causing Panic
    /
    Mellow Man Ace
    Escape From Havana

Bloods & Crips
    Bangin' on Wax

Donald D
    Notorious
    /
    7a3
    Coolin In Cali

Young MC
    Stone Cold Rhymin'

I was waiting for someone to put up a list. Honestly I'm not familiar with the 7a3 album (pending a google search). Del is Bay Area. In all fairness, I think DJ Quik & Aceyalone should be in there. Both are very influential in the LA scene.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Wow what a wacky list. Also surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

This is a classic in my book. I have no reference however as the only time I was in L.A. was in 9th grade for a marching band competition.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    1)Death Certificate
    1b)Chronic
    Straight Outta
    Quik is The Name
    Cypress Hill
    Doggystyle
    Eazy Duz It
    Dogg Food
    AmeriKKK's Most
    Bizarre Ride
    2nd II None
    Documentary
    Street Gospel
    Rhyme Pays
    Neva Again
    Safe and Sound
    Act A Fool
    21 and Over
    Livin like hustlas
    Music to Driveby
    Uncle Sam's Curse

• Electrode said:
    Yeah, LA Weekly is great source to find out about anything what's going on in the city, but their pimping of flavor-of-the-month bands and food places, "little guy fighting The Man" fluff pieces and the "this is the next _______!"/"it's like _______ meets ________!" name-dropping is crap journalism

Isn't it fairly known that Village Voice music "journalism" is pretty much doo-doo across the board? It seems like some of these folks are capable writers but don't seem to know anything about music....

Compton and LA are the same city?

• yall slippin...

...beats hot though

• and why has no one mentioned "Labcabin Cali"??? granted, it lacked the genius of Bizarre Ride but was/is still an LA classic....

@ynot - low profile were always big imo - i have them on my list

overflo said:
    I was waiting for someone to put up a list. Honestly I'm not familiar with the 7a3 album (pending a google search). Del is Bay Area. In all fairness, I think DJ Quik & Aceyalone should be in there. Both are very influential in the LA scene.

I was never big on Freestyle fellowship or aceyalone (or project blowed etc.) although i know enough people that rate them - at the time i just felt they were kind of outside of the sound coming from la i liked or was looking for - i always preferred Divine Stylers first joint in that Leftfield LA bracket. Dj Quik i never really went for either as he seemed to be a bit of an afterbirth to me at the time.

7a3 were muggs' first group and their album got some burn bitd especially the title track coolin in cali - although this was my favorite 7a3 joint, which is not on that album

other la rappeurs that havent been mentioned: Evidence, Ras Kass - never was very into them but they have a following

• batmon said:
    Compton and LA are the same city?

LA County. Long Beach is LA County too.

Kool Keith owns two apartments in LA. Supposedly they are right next to each other in the same building. One is for partying and one is to live in (at least that's the rumor)

staxwax said:
    Dj Quik i never really went for either as he seemed to be a bit of an afterbirth to me at the time.

Your loss, homie.

b/w

San Antonio is jus lyke Compton.

• CinisterCee said:
    Certainly Kool Keith's Bronx origins can also dash the thought of Sex Style repping on a top 20 L.A. rapp list?

(Maybe I need more context besides "Kut Masta Kurt is from Santa Cruz*" *wiki)

"Is the world made of plastic? Cuz that's the way it seems" is totally an LA observation

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    staxwax said:
    Dj Quik i never really went for either as he seemed to be a bit of an afterbirth to me at the time.

Your loss, homie.

Seriously. Quik is the shit. You'd do well to go back and play those albums again.

TheKindCromang said:

Kool Keith owns two apartments in LA. Supposedly they are right next to each other in the same building. One is for partying and one is to live in (at least that's the rumor)

I wonder how the fridges are stocked in each place.

• jjfad027 said:
    TheKindCromang said:

I wonder how the fridges are stocked in each place.

"I really learnt Seltzer Water keeps people away"

b/w

Boring Oats

:get_on_my_level: !

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

I need to get to this point - but with houses. You still got neighbours in a complex.

• batmon said:
    Long Beach is LA?
    Brooklyn is Bronx?
    Pomona is South Central?

Dude, what are you are goin on about?

Drive 30 miles in any direction from Downtown LA and as far as most people are concerned your still in LA - sometimes LA city, definitely LA county. I grew up 24 miles south of Downtown in Pedro and we were LAPD, LAUSD and DWP. Santa Monica/Venice is LA, Compton is LA, Long Beach is LA as far as culture and sometimes even Law. The IE and Orange County get a pass too when speaking about LA, Quik now resides there but he's still LA. Alkaholiks were from Dena, FF13 was Leimert, Cypress was from offa the 10. We're all LA.

please to stop this ridiculousness.

• bassie said:
    TheKindCromang said:

I need to get to this point - but with houses. You still got neighbours in a complex.

David Lynch lives in a three-building compound in the Hollywood Hills