Food Trucks Yay or Nay (Food related)

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    Street Food = NY Mets

Yuppie Truck Food = NY Yankees

Actually, people who I know who've been to both stadiums tell me exactly the opposite.

Citi Field is way more loaded with high end yuppie food.

I think yall are takin it too literally.

Both stadiums have been rebuilt and upscaled, but the Mets Image still remains as the less corporate/evil empire compared to the Yankees.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    If I lived in Austin I would probably hit Franklin BBQ, Tenderland on Manor Rd., and G'Raj Mahal in some guys backyard. But I don't live in Austin. Maybe I would wait in line at Franklin BBQ, then decide I didn't want anything when I reached the counter.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    Street Food = NY Mets

Yuppie Truck Food = NY Yankees

Actually, people who I know who've been to both stadiums tell me exactly the opposite.

Citi Field is way more loaded with high end yuppie food.

I think yall are takin it too literally.

Both stadiums have been rebuilt and upscaled, but the Mets Image still remains as the less corporate/evil empire compared to the Yankees.

True enough, and I doubt that will ever change no matter how much toro tuna they sell at Citifield.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can I just say that all this talk about competing Austin BBQs is making me wish I could teleport to Austin?

batmon said:

Um, what is NOT less corporate/evil empire compared to the Yankees though?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Love how DIY hipster food carts are being equated with fucking corporations and the evil empire.

Korean BBQ truck = The Death Star

Tacos El Dorado = The Rebel Alliance

mannybolone said:
    batmon said:

batmon said:
    mannybolone said:
    batmon said:

But at least you don't have to wait an hour there ;)

Garcia_Vega said:
    Love how DIY hipster food carts are being equated with fucking corporations and the evil empire.

Korean BBQ truck = The Death Star

Tacos El Dorado = The Rebel Alliance

So who is running Chipotle in this case? The Gungans?

Street Food = Accupuncture

Yuppie Truck Food = Pfizer

Street Food = War

Yuppie Truck Food = Mandrill

Street Food = Off the Wall

Yuppie Truck Food = Thriller

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Street Food = War

Yuppie Truck Food = Mandrill

nah, other way around ;)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    which one is gangster rap and which one is backpack rapp

Brian said:
    which one is gangster rap and which one is backpack rapp

Street Food - Nas Illmatic

Yuppie Trucker Food - EL-P -Fantastic Damage

This thread has taken a fantastic turn.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    picoandsepulveda said:
    Seems to be the hot schitt right now. Anyone into it or have a favorite one you visit frequently? Any particular cuisine you'd like to see served from one of these Food trucks? I'm kinda feelin' it.

dont get time to read all the posts, but making food trucks expensive is horseshit. jose garces has a real handsome taco truck in philly right now that serves.....drumroll....tacos. no reason two of them little shits should cost you 7.50
    fuck you, iron chef, stick to table service.

but i love food trucks

philly joint: mexicali

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    A 7 page thread on food trucks eh? Here in Central Florida there have been "roach coaches" for years up and down the notorious strip of road named Orange Blossom Trail. This is on the "bad" side of town where there's streetwalkers and crack dealers. In the last year or so food trucks started popping up in yuppie ville and became the new hip thing. They started setting up "pods" for monthly and weekly events, In the beginning these things would be packed with long lines and became like these little hipster/ suburbia social events. They even do one weekly behind this night clubs where they have a band playing and sell alcohol. it's like this ironic festive atmosphere to hang at when originally the concept was built on getting in and out quickly. What's really corny tho is these food bloggers I see at these things snapping pics of everyone's food, like how many angles can you get on a burger dog? I ride for the Koren taco box where you can get a bomb plate for under $5. They ran an article in the weekly and the owner said they do on average $1,000 of business a day, that's some serious loot. However the gourmet trucks rolling tend to be a hype and although I have I HATE to pay $10 for a pork belly sandwich, even if it is all locally raised blah blah blah. So yeah agree that this shit is new to the suburbs but If it's cheap and tasty I fux with it. My friend's a chief and works on this novelty truck where they make this bacon cheese burger in-between two Krispy Kremes called "The Luther". Once i coped this deep fried Peanut Butter, Nutella, and apricot jam sand, it was dank couldn't eat more then 2 bites:

One of these days he says they are gonna do deep fried avocado.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    opps double post.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    The only ones I want to try are the carts under the 7 train along Roosevelt Ave in Queens.

Rilly? First time I've heard someone talmbout they looking forward to kicking it on Roosevelt Avenue. What's good over there?

Apart from the Mexican, Ecuadorian, and Colombian food carts, there are strip joints and $2 dances to the song of your choice. Holler!

also Donovan's, best burger in Queens...

the Zabb Elee thai place, which is ridiculously good...

a decent Korean Fried Chicken spot...

a few good Filipino joints..

and...

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Upon closer inspection, Eat St will put self-identified food bloggers an each feature. Some trucks will have more than one food blogger outside when the Eat St cameras show up. Doesn't this blow the cover of the self-described food bloggers, whatever happened to food blogging in anonymity, or any other standards? Each blogger says the same thing about each truck, "its so fresh", or "its like gourmet ART!". I liked it in the old days when food travel show would just scrape ideas from food forums or guidebooks.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Aaron Sanchez was giving away free tacos from his "authentic" converted VW bus/taco truck at an event I was working yesterday. I was tempted, but the line was long enough and the tacos small enough that it didn't seem worth it. Plus, his "authentic" taco VW bus had to be trucked in and out on a flatbed because it couldn't move under its own power. :ehhx2:

Aaron Sanchez is this dude from all those Food Network shoes:

p_gunn said:

I walked by this place last week, and shit was packed as hell. Woodside.

Very apropos: http://pulse.me/s/Jel0

Anti-truckers, vindicated!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Can I just say that all this talk about competing Austin BBQs is making me wish I could teleport to Austin?

If you come to Austin I'll take you out for some BBQ.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    For lunch today, in a town with over 60+ taco trucks, I had one of the best tacos I've had locally, from a place called Tacos La Esperanza.

I not only had my first tripe taco, but it was also the first time I had tripe. My uncle loves the stuff, there are enough tripe stew fanatics in Hawai'i but my tastes growing up, despite the diversity I was raised around, was very vanilla. I stayed away, but it got to a point where I thought "if someone eats it, mmmmaybe I am willing to try it one day."

I went there at 12:30pm, so a lot of people were still in their Sunday best, a group of guys in the parking lot were still in suits, and while waiting near the seating tent, I noticed that Los Tigres Del Norte are going to play here in mid-August.

I had a taco and a beef burrito, but I could've had a tripe burrito if I asked. Anyway, this is good stuff.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    trzakhstan said:
    Upon closer inspection, Eat St will put self-identified food bloggers an each feature. Some trucks will have more than one food blogger outside when the Eat St cameras show up. Doesn't this blow the cover of the self-described food bloggers, whatever happened to food blogging in anonymity, or any other standards? Each blogger says the same thing about each truck, "its so fresh", or "its like gourmet ART!". I liked it in the old days when food travel show would just scrape ideas from food forums or guidebooks.

There are some bloggers who do want/demand anonymity, and prefer it that way. There's a guy in Portland who has written a lot of hiking books, but had come out with something called Breakfast In Bridgetown. It's a great guide for various restaurants throughout the city, and his reviews range from great to "decent" to all out "eh". But because of how he has promoted the books, through radio, podcasts, and TV shows (including a breakfast documentary that was on PBS last year), he no longer can be the guy who comes and goes. He's now Portland's main "breakfast guy", and that's good. Not all food bloggers want to be seen, but then again these carts/trucks will tell their followers "come down at 11am and we're going to have a Cooking Channel film crew, show us some support." Of course you're going to have people gloating and going overboard with praise, but I'd like to think that if the food seems appealing and their stories are positive, people will show support. If it sucks, it sucks, what can you say?

Food carts struggle with local and regional laws and while they are able to promote themselves through social media, they also have to deal with the reality of real life. I know of food cart owners who deal with parking lot/pod rental rates that have gone up three times in a year, and this year isn't over. Seattle food cart owners have campaigned for better laws and restrictions, not unlike what's going on in Portland. There's a website called Food Carts Portland, and I've read both good and bad reviews about the guy who runs it and the reviews from PDX foodies and fellow bloggers. In terms of praise, they thank the guy for showing people what types of foods are out there, but others say there's too much positive reviews. Granted, outside of the main review, all commentary comes from the public. Some say that there should be more negative reviews. Just because Portland is known as a "food cart mega" doesn't mean every one is a gem.

I also think people have grown tired of what has been force fed to them, but one can also say "if people are pushing food carts, will they become the next culinary enemy?" I honestly think there are bigger concerns to worry about.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    VINDICATED BY JAPANESE WOMEN'S SOCCER TEAM!!!

YES!

(just kidding, I saw the article too. Maybe someone over there is on teh strut. REVEAL THIGH SELF!)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I went to get some food from the cart on North 6th in Williamsburg and it was gone - anybody know if they moved to another location?

Damn, that was my go-to spot!