Food Trucks Yay or Nay (Food related)

Comments

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    When everyone was talking about selling out of igloos I had the funniest picture in my head. Then i figured it out, not as cool, but COOL.

I say yes to elote, mangos, jugos and tostadas with shredded beets!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    This thread inspired me to go to my favorite taco cart today. It was fucking delicious, as always.
    I also ride hard for the dogs at the cart in front of my office.

I work way far on the west side of Manhattan, so destination/trendy trucks are just not in the offing most times. But, I did enjoy a Salty Pimp from the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck a couple weeks ago.

But, yeah- those tacos were fucking great.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    jaysus said:
    I say yes to elote, mangos, jugos and tostadas with shredded beets!

straight guatemalan stylee!

this one time i was on 7th and irolo getting elotes (the grilled kinds with just the lime and chili powder) and this kinda business looking dude in slacks, button up, and the batmon cellphone utility belt thing walks by and all the folks right there doing the street biz thing started acting real skiddish like looking around at each other and what nots. anyways, the guy walks up to one of the vendors and starts talking to him and the next thing i see is him manslapping the shit out of the vendor dude and then kicking him as he rolled down the street. im pretty sure it was some gang thing cuz like all the vendors got real still and were kind of looking without looking. im not gon lie, i stopped moving myself.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I love food as much as the next guy but 2 hours for any meal is above and beyond. An hour, max, and it better be fucking great.

That said, avoiding things b/c you don't like the hype around it...but not having actually tried it for yourself first, to make up your own mind? Classic "cutting your nose off to spite your face" snobbery. (But then again, I feel like, around here, that attitude gets applied to music all the time so...)

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    That said, avoiding things b/c you don't like the hype around it...but not having actually tried it for yourself first, to make up your own mind? Classic "cutting your nose off to spite your face" snobbery.

The fact that you don't want to wait an hour+ for food = snobbery?

If you have an hour to waste, you're better off cooking your own food.

Horseleech said:
    mannybolone said:
    That said, avoiding things b/c you don't like the hype around it...but not having actually tried it for yourself first, to make up your own mind? Classic "cutting your nose off to spite your face" snobbery.

Two separate thoughts actually:

1) Not wanting to wait. I can respect that.

2) Not wanting to try something because you think it's overhyped...but not having actually tried it yourself? That's what I was responding to.

The two are related (i.e. overhyped restaurants often come with a wait) but they're distinct things people are reacting against.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    http://www.cloverpos.com/media/html/menu.html?restaurantId=3

well, here's a truck that is probably the height of what you would consider "hipster" but at the same time, I swear by these guys, and I am not vegan or even vegetarian yet love all of their sandwiches. as you can see the prices are legit ... and the food is really great. I hit this truck up whenever I do my radio show over at MIT, which is where the truck started. it's the brainchild of an MIT alum, they have 2 or 3 trucks out every day, and a brick n mortar in Harvard Square.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    My Tamale Man sells his out of the back of his 20 year old Benz. I always get the cheese and jalapeno: de-lish.

My only experience with a food truck was back when we lived in the Bay in a Sunnyvale apartment. A truck would come by and the Latino seller would do his fancy horn honk, and the moms and kids would go out. I remember my mom getting corn on the cob with some spice mixture on it for my brother and me. It was one of the best things I ever ate in my life. No cob has ever measured up to that sweet memory.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    In two hours, I can do some shopping and, most likely, improve upon the design.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    mannybolone said:

2) Not wanting to try something because you think it's overhyped...but not having actually tried it yourself? That's what I was responding to.

In the case of Franklin BBQ, I'm already 20+ years loyal to Ruby's BBQ. And if I want to eat BBQ on the Eastside, Sam's BBQ is the lick...in that you get that old school fatty version of brisket that goes with the neighborhood. Even BBQ truck-wise, I work on the other side of town from Franklin, so I go to Bee Caves BBQ. And then bomb places like the Salt Lick and Black's and such are never that far away.

Therefore, feeling already amply covered and then some in the BBQ department around here, I find it ridiculous that people act like Beatles Mania over Franklin. And yes, I think it takes a certain type of person to do so.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    glad I live in a city where one can get the best BBQ and Fried Chicken and/or Soul Food in the world within 15 minutes of ordering it. And sit in A/C and drink a beer while one does so (except the soul food joints, usually non drinking COGIC ladies runnin' those places).

After those crappy food trucks/TV show came through town, I still cannot understand what is so great about standing outside breathing exhaust waiting for some overpriced bullshit.

and tacos? Fort Worth heads know the deal:

its in a garage, so that is kinda like a truck...its where one keeps a truck.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I value my time too much to wait 2 hours for food.....to me that's like adding $100 to the price of the meal.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Horseleech said:
    mannybolone said:

Two separate thoughts actually:

1) Not wanting to wait. I can respect that.

The two are related (i.e. overhyped restaurants often come with a wait) but they're distinct things people are reacting against.

Can u name ANY place hyped or not that you really enjoy, that you would wait longer than an hour for?
    Even if i had the meal of my dreams i couldnt subject myself to waiting in line when they are 100 other options to satisfy my hunger.

Why front like this is really about the FOOD and more about the illusion of exclusivity, hype, curiosity, and sheep mentality.

Isnt waiting for a long ass time at a food truck like taking a shower with a raincoat on?

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    batmon said:

Why front like this is really about the FOOD and more about the illusion of exclusivity, hype, curiosity, and sheep mentality.

This.

Also, in LA, for a bunch of locally farmed, organic hipster yuppies patting themselves on the back for standing up and eating on the street, there are local establishments which are a locus of culture and neighborhood identity which are being usurped by this foolishness.

The fact that people in LA would drive somewhere to eat off of a truck is instant fail. Not to mention they are waiting and often times paying more than they would at a sit down restaurant which employs a whole slew of people and can enrich a neighborhood.

In the 80's food trucks were a blight to LA communities for reasons cited in this thread and a whole list of others - from poor food safety standards to skirting business and employment practices that contribute to the wealth of a neighborhood. Just cause young, hip kids drive them now and they are painted fancy colors or whatever, in my book, doesn't change any of that.

Whether or not the food is good, some may be, the ones I've eaten at were pure novelty (oooh lomo saltado off a truck! let me stand here and eat this and get shit all over my shirt) - the fact remains that it still follows a very simple formula:

gen??tri??fy/??jentr????f??/Verb
    1. Renovate and improve (esp. a house or district) so that it conforms to middle-class taste.

I'd rather eat at a restaurant. LA has PLENTY of good ones.
    In the words of fletcher, as always, YMMV.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    A little info on behind the scenes for yall (Inspection closure rate for trucks is 10x higher than restaraunts):

What exactly is a Catering Truck?

Although there are many not so complementary names or descriptions, they can best and simply be described as a restaurant kitchen on wheels, or in a more legal definition, a Mobile Food Preparation Facility.

A catering truck can cook, handle open food and perform other types of food preparation normally only a restaurant could legally do. They are different from ice cream and candy trucks, produce trucks, and ice cream carts and other carts that mostly sell only prepackaged foods and limited types of unpackaged foods.

Although a catering truck is not technically the same as a restaurant in the health and safety code, the requirements are almost the same as a permanent restaurant.

I will probably get hate mail for this, but I would not recommend purchasing/eating any prepared or potentially hazardous foods from a catering truck or a street vendor, even an apparently licensed and safe one. The most I have purchased off a catering truck is prepackaged snacks or drinks.

And here are my reasons why:

They are inherently more dangerous than a permanent restaurant simply because of the limitations of space and power???gas or electricity???to keep the refrigerators and warming equipment up and running properly. There is a greater chance that food will be left too long in the food temperature danger zone???between 41?? and 135?? Fahrenheit???thereby allowing bacteria to grow to dangerous levels.
    There are greater possibilities in a catering truck of cross contamination of your ready-to-eat food with raw meats, chicken etc., again due to limited space and overstocking.

A catering truck has to maintain a storage tank of potable (drinkable) water available throughout the day while they are away from their commissary (where they store and re-supply their truck). This supply is limited versus a permanent restaurant???s water supply. This allows a greater probability that the catering truck will run out of water, or just as bad, the owner or operator limiting their use of it so it can last longer throughout the day. Both cases are not uncommon and this translates to not washing utensils, equipment, hands, etc., thoroughly or often enough.

The inspector rarely spends the same amount of quality time inspecting a catering truck than a permanent restaurant. This is mainly due to time factors. Many catering trucks do not spend very long in any one place. An inspector has to get in, observe, test and take notes, get out, write up the report and then review it with the owner/operator and have them sign it before the catering truck leaves for the next stop. There are more pressures on everyone in this situation. It???s unfortunate, but this is the reality of this type of business.

Lastly, the number of permit suspensions also do not reflect a pretty picture for catering trucks and street vendors. Permit suspension, for all types of food facilities, means an automatic closure and is almost always due to the presence of a high risk violation, such as severe temperature abuse, vermin etc., or operating without a valid public health permit.

For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2008, Los Angeles County Environmental Health Vehicle Inspection Program conducted 9,615 routine inspections of catering trucks and street vendors. The number of permit suspensions for this time period was 2,636 (the majority of which were catering trucks). The closure rate is 27%, meaning for every four inspections, one will result in a closure. This does not include illegal or unpermitted trucks and carts, which are almost ubiquitous in Los Angeles County and are closed immediately when found.

To compare with restaurants: Los Angeles County Environmental Health Food Inspection Program conducted 46,978 routine inspections of restaurants for the same period. The number of suspended permits was 1,072. A closure rate of 2.3%.

The conclusion one has to make is that catering trucks, and other vehicles, carts etc., are more likely to be operating with a severe or high risk health code violation (resulting in the suspension and closure) than a restaurant. This translates into a greater risk of food poisoning or food-borne illness. Since most people do not report their food borne illness (this seems to especially apply to those that patronize trucks and carts), it is difficult to get a percentage of food borne illnesses directly related or attributed to trucks and carts. But based on what we know are the main causes and sources of food poisoning or food borne illness, one has to conclude that the risk of contracting such an illness is much higher from eating prepared foods off a catering truck than a restaurant.

If you still dare to tempt fate, here are some basic requirements of a catering truck and things to look out for as a customer. If you see any of these I strongly recommend that you think again about ordering something from this truck or cart.

The business name or name of the operator, city, state, zip code must be legible, clearly visible to patrons, and permanently affixed to the customer side, and in most cases to both sides of the truck. If this basic information is missing, the vehicle is most likely operating illegally i.e., without a public health permit.

A valid public health permit must be posted in a conspicuous place for you to see. Look for an expiration date and that the business name on the permit matches the name on the side of the truck. There may also be other identifying information on the permit such as the license plate. The posting of a valid permit from the local Environmental Health program in a conspicuous place actually applies to all retail food facilities including restaurants and markets in California and probably many, if not most states. It is more important to look out for with a catering truck or street vendor because there is a much greater likelihood of these types of mobile businesses operating illegally, or without a permit, than a permanent restaurant or market.

No liquid wastes or water can be leaking or draining onto any street, sidewalk or premises.
    All food condiments or any food offered for customer self-service must be protected from all types of contamination, such as people sneezing, coughing, as well as bugs, dust or any possible overhead contamination.
    No food or drinks made or prepared at home or any other unapproved, unlicensed sources, can be sold to the public from any vehicle. (This also applies to all restaurants, catering trucks, and food markets.)
    If the catering truck is conducting business for more than one hour in the same location, there must be an approved and readily available toilet and handwashing facility for the catering truck staff. It can not be a home or house, but a publicly accessible and/or department approved facility.
    All food operators must also follow the same requirements regarding good health and hygiene, just as if they were working in a restaurant kitchen???see page 11 on food handlers.
    The vehicle must, of course, be free of all vermin, including flies and live animals at all times.
    All windows and doors must be in good repair and be provided with screens or flaps to prevent the entrance of flies. Pass through windows should be covered when not in use and self-closing screens are required on the exterior of pass though openings.

The vehicle should be in good working and structural condition. It should not be broken down, such as a flat tire, where it is now no longer mobile and cannot readily make it back to its commissary. A broken down condition by itself may not be a violation or risk, but the problem lies in that fact that that the vehicle has limited power and/or gas and can not maintain potentially hazardous food indefinitely at the proper temperatures.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    I'd rather eat at a restaurant. LA has PLENTY of good ones.

There are a lot of great restaurants in LA but I think part of the appeal of Food Trucks is specifically that they aren't restaurants. You can eat street food, on the street. Some of my favorite food is street food. One of my favorite things when I went to Prague and Berlin were the Imbiss. Standing on the street, eating currywurst and drinking a beer.
    Once you take away the hype of a food truck "craze", food trucks are just convenient places to get good street food and a nice alternative to sit down restaurants.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    batmon said:

Can u name ANY place hyped or not that you really enjoy, that you would wait longer than an hour for?
    Even if i had the meal of my dreams i couldnt subject myself to waiting in line when they are 100 other options to satisfy my hunger.

I'm still kinda pissed that a restaurant I like eating at still has 2 hour waits after being around a year and a half and even opening another location in town, waits are still hella long. One of the things Toronto had been lacking for years is a decent Izakaya spot.

While the food is good, it's also the overall experience. But I thought the hype would die down by now because most people can't deal with the noisy experience a proper Izakaya spot can bring.

But I prefer when I travel to stay away from anything but hole in the wall spots where locals eat. Even if it's a food truck. I'll wait it out a bit to taste their items if I get that feeling it will be worth it.

TheKindCromang said:
    You can eat street food, on the street.

Where I live we call this Homeless.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Some of my favorite food is street food.

No doubt. From all my years of traveling, much of the best food I've had, has been street food.

Street Food = NY Mets

Yuppie Truck Food = NY Yankees

batmon said:
    Street Food = NY Mets

This x 1,000

batmon said:

How is curiosity an "illusion"? So yeah, I'd be fine with waiting somewhere (ideally, not an hour however) to try some place that, say, Thes raved about because, despite our disagreements over the worth of trucks, I think dude has pretty decent taste in food and if he big upped some spot that came with a wait, I'd wait. Because I'm curious. And because I like trying new things.

Also, and this may be a crucial difference, driving 30-60 minutes somewhere to eat is not at all unusual in California. So instead of asking, "would you wait an hour?" I process this along the same lines as thinking, "would I drive an hour?" to try out some place I haven't been before.

Absolutely, so long as I have some reasonable expectation that the meal will be good (though, if I'm driving an hour, it better be spectacular).

batmon said:
    Street Food = NY Mets

I'm not sure this analogy makes street food sound attractive either.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    batmon said:
    Street Food = NY Mets

Yeah, because Citi field is just so cheap, old school, and for the common man, give me a fucking break

Ive easily travelled a long minute to get to a food destination, but I dont know if i could then wait for another 75 mins to be served, unless im getting a foot massage, smokin' some rare shit and watching Small Wonder reruns.

batmon said:
    Ive easily travelled a long minute to get to a food destination, but I dont know if i could then wait for another 75 mins to be served, unless im getting a foot massage, smokin' some rare shit and watching Small Wonder reruns.

I'm saying though - I think we're getting jammed up on the idea of what a "wait" means. Almost all meals (that don't involve a microwave or boiling water being poured into a cup) involve waiting. Cooking takes time, even if you're doing it out of your own fridge (vs. driving across town and waiting for someone else to do it).

If we're really going to go down this path, let's just ask: think of how entitled we are to think that eating means not having to wait. That presumption can only come about in a society where there's an abundance of food options, where no one has to worry about rationing, let alone famine, and where we expect the service industry (which is essentially what restaurants are a part of ) will satisfy our personal desires in as quick a time frame as possible.

Look: I don't like waiting for a meal either. But not having to wait is an incredible privilege and just because an occasional meal demands a wait (b/c it's overly popular, it's located far away, etc.) doesn't negate or threaten that privilege. If anything, it highlights it.

Thes: So are you saying you wouldn't eat somewhere that isn't fully state-licensed, tax compliant, health department approved and gainfully employing people? Because those sound like pretty middle class standards ;)

batmon said:
    Street Food = NY Mets

Actually, people who I know who've been to both stadiums tell me exactly the opposite.

Citi Field is way more loaded with high end yuppie food.

mannybolone said:
    batmon said:

How is curiosity an "illusion"? So yeah, I'd be fine with waiting somewhere (ideally, not an hour however) to try some place that, say, Thes raved about because, despite our disagreements over the worth of trucks, I think dude has pretty decent taste in food and if he big upped some spot that came with a wait, I'd wait. Because I'm curious. And because I like trying new things.

Also, and this may be a crucial difference, driving 30-60 minutes somewhere to eat is not at all unusual in California. So instead of asking, "would you wait an hour?" I process this along the same lines as thinking, "would I drive an hour?" to try out some place I haven't been before.

Absolutely, so long as I have some reasonable expectation that the meal will be good (though, if I'm driving an hour, it better be spectacular).

10-20 minutes = acceptable, normal wait.

I would much rather drive an hour and then wait 15 minutes then wait 45 minutes on a line, unless the line is doing 60 mph.