Django Unchained (QTR)

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Saw it twice already. Pretty incredible. Goes up there as one of my fave QT flicks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I never understood the extra love for Jackie Brown?

Did you not see Foxy Brown and Coffee before this?

Res Dogs is my shit.
    Deathproof is my shit. Dirty Larry Crazy Mary is my shit too.
    Planet Terror...good
    Pulp Fiction is classic but damn did it get oversaturated on cable.
    Sin City is my shit.

I wanna see Django but i fuckin hatt DiCaprio with a passion.
    Ive gotta check Mandingo.

Tarantino is a Genius Remixer/Referencer/Recontextualizer.

• batmon said:

Really? Did you see The Departed? I changed my mind about him after that.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    batmon said:

Really? Did you see The Departed? I changed my mind about him after that.

Cosign on Leo. Dude was good in Basketball Diaries, I thought. Can't speak for all his movies, but I don't hate him as an actor.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Any truth to the rumour that Michael Kenneth Williams was suppose to play Django, but couldn't because of Boardwalk Empire obligations? I'd like to see that...

In any case. Still haven't seen. But I will.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    DOR said:
    Any truth to the rumour that Michael Kenneth Williams was suppose to play Django, but couldn't because of Boardwalk Empire obligations? I'd like to see that...

In any case. Still haven't seen. But I will.

Originally, according to the Quentin Tarantino archives, Micheal K. Willaims, Will Smith, and Jamie Foxx were up for the role. Not sure exactly why MKW couldn't commit, but filming BWE seems reasonable. Smith said it's too violent/vulgar. Foxx jumped on it,obviously.

• Haven't seen this yet, but is there a lot of rap music in the film?
    I want to see this with my dad who loves all western related movies but can't stand rap music haha.

• JATX said:

Originally, according to the Quentin Tarantino archives, Micheal K. Willaims, Will Smith, and Jamie Foxx were up for the role.

Stringer Bell too, if I'm not mistaken.

BallzDeep said:
    Haven't seen this yet, but is there a lot of rap music in the film?
    I want to see this with my dad who loves all western related movies but can't stand rap music haha.

There's a Rick Ross song and one more. Otherwise most are 60s-70s tunes, which are great by the way. He pulled off another memorable soundtrack for one of his movies.

Since no one's seemed to have scene this movie yet I don't want to make any spoilers. What I can say is go see this movie. I would gladly see it a third time.

There are some truly funny as shit moments, some great dialogue as usual and scenes that you'll be talking about afterward.

Like I said, I would put this up there as one of QT's best.

batmon said:

I don't think FB and Coffee were anything like Jackie Brown. First of all, Jackie Brown is in part about living with being middle aged.

• Just saw it. I thought it was great!

*Spoiler alert!*

Say what you want about DiCaprio, but I think this is pretty remarkable:

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-golden-globes/leonardo-dicaprio-real-blood-django-unchained-scene-201237591.html

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I only have seen the trailer, as the film isn't in the cinemas yer over here in Germany.
    For me it is disturbing to hear rap music in a western film. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

What if the music has a western theme to it?

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    I only have seen the trailer, as the film isn't in the cinemas yer over here in Germany.
    For me it is disturbing to hear rap music in a western film. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

QT is the master, and the music does not take away from the film in the slightest. The Bowie track he used in Inglorious Basterds didn't seem out of place at a Nazi convention.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I was mad at the Rick Ross song midway through (surely Tarantino has better taste than that) but the Pac/James Brown mashup during that intense scene near the end kinda made up for it.

Also, even though the song kinda sucks, I liked the fact that RZA's on the soundtrack.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DOR said:
    What if it was Kool Moe Dee's-Wild Wild West on a loop?

• Herm said:
    Just saw it. I thought it was great!

*Spoiler alert!*

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-golden-globes/leonardo-dicaprio-real-blood-django-unchained-scene-201237591.html

"say what you will about DiCaprio"?

how about" "he's easily one of the finest actors of his generation."

yeah I said it! shit is real.

BTW Django was good; saw it on Fri.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:
    Just saw it. I thought it was great!

*Spoiler alert!*

"say what you will about DiCaprio"?

how about" "he's easily one of the finest actors of his generation."

yeah I said it! shit is real.

BTW Django was good; saw it on Fri.

Saw it this weekend. It was really good. My wife who came along kind of reluctantly really liked it too. Up there with QT's best. I love how he sneaks all these great actors into minor rolls. Seeing Franco Nero in there was awesome.

• batmon said:

I see what you're getting at, but Jackie Brown is a whole different animal than the Jack Hill-era Pam Grier flicks. It's pretty much a direct, few changes made Elmore Leonard book brought to screen and transplanted to the South Bay. There's a completely different level of dialogue and humor in it too. I'm saying this as a PG fan, too.

As a western fan: Django was completely entertaining. It was like an amped up retake of Boss or Take a Hard Ride ( which was the OG spaghetti western/blaxploitation hybrid. The director Antonio Margheriti gets namechecked in Basterds, too).

Not sure what all the unease with the rappin' on the soundtrack is about. The music in Spaghetti westerns was hardly authentic to the period, either. No baritone Fenders were being plucked in the old west!

I suggest a triple feature with Rango and The Good, The Bad and The Weird.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    batmon said:

I see what you're getting at, but Jackie Brown is a whole different animal than the Jack Hill-era Pam Grier flicks. It's pretty much a direct, few changes made Elmore Leonard book brought to screen and transplanted to the South Bay. There's a completely different level of dialogue and humor in it too. I'm saying this as a PG fan, too.

QT captured Leonard's sound better than any director who has attempted to try. Out of Sight is good, but QT understands how Leonard's sound can be hilarious and totally menacing at the same time, without drawing the least amount of attention to it. Jackie Brown captured this better than any Leonard adaptation to date.

Watching Django, I saw a couple scenes that may have been borrowed from Elmore Leonard and Stephen Hunter novels. if you're into solid crime fiction, Stephen Hunter's "Dirty White Boys" is excellent.

The_Non said:
    DOR said:

Ha! Or Sadat X Wild Cowboys or from The Posse soundtrack maybe?

Saw the movie. Thought it was good. Tho, IMO a big longer than needed.

During QT's movies I'm always looking for how he used certain songs. Not my favorite uses of music in his flicks. But still pretty decent.

Anyone think of certain songs in certain scenes they would use?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    SolidState16 said:
    batmon said:

QT captured Leonard's sound better than any director who has attempted to try. Out of Sight is good, but QT understands how Leonard's sound can be hilarious and totally menacing at the same time, without drawing the least amount of attention to it. Jackie Brown captured this better than any Leonard adaptation to date.

Watching Django, I saw a couple scenes that may have been borrowed from Elmore Leonard and Stephen Hunter novels. if you're into solid crime fiction, Stephen Hunter's "Dirty White Boys" is excellent.

wow. i read that book when i was like 12 and haven't thought about it in a long while. definitely a gritty/dirty/slimy crime novel. would def be a watchable movie in the right hands.

• screener got dropped to the internets today.

• The_Non said:
    DOR said:

lol

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    cheers to Shig for recognizing the role of the film editor in this thread! It's what I do for a living, and it's maybe once a decade that someone acknowledges an editor.

as for QT, I'm on the Jackie Brown side. Granted, I only like it because I think it's the least pastichey of his films, although I haven't re-watched it since I saw it in the theater. His films are a plateful for people who like to talk about film theory and whatnot, but I don't find them particularly enjoyable. I was bored to tears watching the two Kill Bill movies, and generally I feel like I'm watching a clerk from Kim's Video masturbate for 2 or 3 hours when I'm watching one of his movies.

I do like it when he produces those Robert Rodriguez movies though.

and someone in the thread talked about True Romance and Natural Born Killers being two of the greatest screenplays ever written, but aren't they the same screenplay really? Badlands is the same story as well, but as a film it's head and shoulders above those two. Wild at Heart is another couple-on-a-killing-spree movie that I think is better.

• ppadilha said:

and someone in the thread talked about True Romance and Natural Born Killers being two of the greatest screenplays ever written, but aren't they the same screenplay really? Badlands is the same story as well, but as a film it's head and shoulders above those two. Wild at Heart is another couple-on-a-killing-spree movie that I think is better.

Clarence and Alabama Worley weren't on a killing spree.

they got everything here from a diddled-eyed joe to damned if I know.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    ppadilha said:

obviously my memory of True Romance is a little fuzzy. Still doesn't change my opinion of Tarantino. I think he's very good at what he does, it's just that what he does is not that interesting.

• ppadilha said:
    BallzDeep said:
    ppadilha said:

obviously my memory of True Romance is a little fuzzy. Still doesn't change my opinion of Tarantino. I think he's very good at what he does, it's just that what he does is not that interesting.

i hear ya.
    Res Dogs changed my whole perception of movies when I first saw it, and by the time Pulp Fiction came out I was totally on the QT fanboy express.
    now? i enjoy his stuff a lot still, not like before though. but i can see how some people don't see what all the hubbubs about.

finally saw django, and i liked it a lot. i just wish he would quit with the homage stuff and try something new. some great scenes as usual.

oh yeah, there were previews for two different Paranormal Activity parodies before the movie, wtf?, thought that was strange.

batmon said:

Did you not see Foxy Brown and Coffee before this?.

A whole part of Jackie Brown's story is the relationship between these two. I don't know how you can watch scenes like these and think that the movie is comparable to Foxy Brown or Coffee at all

Unfortunately this one's dubbed in French but still