Music shit that you want to try....

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    one blunted ass night, i hooked up my '73 wurlitzer to my wah pedal and my Danelectro sitar swami pedal and started messing around with it for hours. I went ahead and pressed record and let it record for about an hour or so. So many great ideas came from that session. Dope sound too! I'll try to find a snipet of this to post.

here it is, just a sample for y'all.

Bow Wow Session

wild shit.

psych heads look out.

• There is the Korean stringed instrument called the Kayagum. I have a couple CDs of that stuff that I got while I was over there and its pretty cool shit. Really nice. Its all twangy like chinese resturant music, of course, but its really cool.

Anyways, I'm kinda wondering now what it would sound like to sample some of that and run it through some fuzz and wah wah and shit. would it sound cool? or would it sound like crap? They way I hear it in my head it could go either way.

Its like, I dont' even really want to try and make a "song" out of it or anything, I just want to do it just because.

Add on with some 'other' shit that you've tried.....

I just had a recording session with a koto player last week for a dance project I'm working on - that shit was doooope.

and also done all the requisite pedals with scratching maneuvers - wah wah, delay and flange/phaser having the nicest results.

Yeah those 2 instruments sound pretty similar. What do you think? Koto + fuzz + wah = dope? dumb?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i bet an ns10 would make a good kick drum mic.

i think i read that in an interview with the dude who recorded alot of the melvins / kyuss / fu manchu stuff. so it must sound pretty heavy i would think.

i heard PZM mics give a nice snap to the kick.

pzms are cool on lots of things... especially those ones on plates... you can mount them on differant surfaces (like glass, wood, foam) and it gives a different sound. fun to play around with for sure.

we used to have one mounted on a two x four that we used to mic the kick drum with in my old band.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Bow Wow Session

wild shit.

psych heads look out.

Bow Wow Beatbox Session

• another thing i've always wanted to try, but that would probably take a long time, is to do a remix where the drums match every syllable that the rapper is saying. so that the rap sets the drum pattern for each bar. so it would be like:

Reached---back---like---a---pimp---and---slapped---the---ho
    Bass ---Bass---hat---bass-snare--hat---snare----bass---hat

or whatever. again, i'm not sure if it would sound cool or not, i just want to try it. like with missy, or somebody who raps strange like that.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    i want one of these

dizzy, was it you that found one of these a couple months back?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    At the minute I'm just screwing around with some sine wavs. Trying to create different combinations of different frequencies and then trying to do get psychedelic by feeding through a Roland Space Echo and a few VSTs.

I'm not feeling anything yet though.

I like just creating wierd little effects to add over my mixes and tracks.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    a mpc

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've always wanted to make a symphony of speak and spells. I got a friend in Las Vegas who would set up the speak and spell to be in his tracks and it was fucking dope. I'm thinking if I could fuck with the tone of the speak and spell I could create different notes and blow all y'alls bitches minds.

Oh and I want to build a theremin out of a dresser to. Anyone got instructions on how to do that?

• i want one of these

dizzy, was it you that found one of these a couple months back?

Yeah, I love that thing!! got it at the rackord show for 275.

I've always wanted a theremin too. just to play with.

I actually have the Clara Rockmore CD with her and piano.

I hate to admit it, but its a great CD to play on halloween. But damn, She's russion, so of course she's playing a lot of russian standards, and that russian romantic shit can really work.

OK I'm babbling.

I've always wanted to make a symphony of speak and spells.

have you ever heard the dot matrix printer symphony?

crazy shit.

• I've always wanted to make a symphony of speak and spells.

crazy shit.

Man, I'm starting to wonder about your musical tastes.... Ass records, printer symphonies.....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've always wanted to make a symphony of speak and spells.

crazy shit.

Man, I'm starting to wonder about your musical tastes.... Ass records, printer symphonies.....

what you know about prepared guitars & Armpit farts?

• I've always wanted to make a symphony of speak and spells.

crazy shit.

what you know about prepared guitars & Armpit farts?

I think I've seen it on the UCSD channel on one of their modern composition performances......

i prefer to call it found sound

the guy who did the Buttocks 12" is putting out a 12" of mine incidently.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    have you guys ever tried chopping old movies and spoken word records? you can get pretty bizarre dialogues. earlier today i was working on a conversation between the master (from the classic martial arts movie "master killer") and a few hookers from a sex documentary lp. not sure if i'll use it tho.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the guy who did the Buttocks 12" is putting out a 12" of mine incidently.

I traded away this crazy 45 I had once of a guy rubbing styrofoam for 3 minutes. I've always regretted that trade

• You must know about this Stockhausen composition for string quartet and 4 helicopters. It was performed where I live. I wouldn't say it had interesting results music-wise. It did headache-wise. Just another gimmick in this field I'd say. What's stricking though is that there are people who dig this so much, the'll go out of their way to catch the autographs of the pilots.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

crazy shit.

where can I get this? Anyone got an MP3? I'd bump this in my car while passing fake Crips that live up the street with me just so they know how hardcroe I really am

• the guy who is putting a 12" in my Buttocks,incidently.

SORRY, HAD TO!

• go out of their way to catch the autographs of the pilots.

Um, excuse me, I beleive the term you are looking for is MUSICIANS, not just pilots.

the guy who is putting a 12" in my Buttocks,incidently.

AYO!

guzzo i do have the mp3's of the dot matrix thing if you are in need. if your old enough you will realise it sounds exactly like your high school computer lab. but it is suppossedly musical.

• here it is, just a sample for y'all.

Bow Wow Session

wild shit.

psych heads look out.

haha.... nice one mayne..

• My moms played the dulcimer...

:wizard rock:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    speaking of pedals. The dude who's studio i go to alot shares the space with this guitar player dude. guy has like every pedal known to man. his favorite being the American Woman Fuzz, which you guessed it approximates the fuzz on the Guess Who classic (alberta in effect). Anyhow its like a self oscilating fuzz thing, you hit a note and it sustains for ever and then you just play the knobs. anyhow he loves it so much he had it mounted into his jazzmaster's pickguard. craziness. i was fucking around with it last week on a track and shit was straight up it hit this one note that was so pearcing it blew out the studios Dynaudio monitors.

The salesman at a nearby music shop was trying to get me to buy one recently. With fuzz on a guitar, I like the one on "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", for example. I'm curious about how it will sound like when a pedal like the one used in that song is used with the Rhodes

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Oh and I want to build a theremin out of a dresser to.

• some music shit i want to try is posting tunes on my 'website', so i'm gonna use this as a chance to test my setup. i'm seriously technology-challenged, hope this works!

disclaimer: This is not a 'beat', or remotely 'hip hop'. its like a prelude or overture to my 'new album'.

prelude

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    one blunted ass night, i hooked up my '73 wurlitzer to my wah pedal and my Danelectro sitar swami pedal and started messing around with it for hours. I went ahead and pressed record and let it record for about an hour or so. So many great ideas came from that session. Dope sound too! I'll try to find a snipet of this to post.

Bow Wow Session

wild shit.

psych heads look out.

Goddamn! I??m blowing someones head with this TONIGHT!

- J