Music shit that you want to try....

Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
There is the Korean stringed instrument called the Kayagum. I have a couple CDs of that stuff that I got while I was over there and its pretty cool shit. Really nice. Its all twangy like chinese resturant music, of course, but its really cool.Anyways, I'm kinda wondering now what it would sound like to sample some of that and run it through some fuzz and wah wah and shit. would it sound cool? or would it sound like crap? They way I hear it in my head it could go either way.Its like, I dont' even really want to try and make a "song" out of it or anything, I just want to do it just because.Add on with some 'other' shit that you've tried.....

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    wah on that could definatly be cool.. i find puttign fuzz on accoustic instruments to be bit of a challenge... easier to layer in an electric guitar fuzz underneath the accoustic, and blend them.

paul e styrene and me were fucking around with his kalimba a few times... those things are wicked... would like to get one of those fo sho

and also a quica

• and also a quica

is that the same as cuiyaca (sp?)... the brazilian hooot hooot thing right?

I fucking love that thing!

• yeah cuica's[/b] are fun as hell to mess with.

one blunted ass night, i hooked up my '73 wurlitzer to my wah pedal and my Danelectro sitar swami pedal and started messing around with it for hours. I went ahead and pressed record and let it record for about an hour or so. So many great ideas came from that session. Dope sound too! I'll try to find a snipet of this to post.

the brazilian hooot hooot thing right?

yes they do indeed rule!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    a few months ago, i bought an optigan, got it cleaned, and now i just spend my nights gently stroking it. mucho AYO. as far as playing it, i suck, but my girlfriend (who's in a band and supermusical) can make it do the dishes.

• a few months ago, i bought an optigan, got it cleaned, and now i just spend my nights gently stroking it. mucho AYO. as far as playing it, i suck, but my girlfriend (who's in a band and supermusical) can make it do the dishes.

There is an optigan band out here called Opticanally Yours. Those things have breaks on the tapes too! I heard them, and they are actually pretty rico boner!

speaking of pedals. The dude who's studio i go to alot shares the space with this guitar player dude. guy has like every pedal known to man. his favorite being the American Woman Fuzz, which you guessed it approximates the fuzz on the Guess Who classic (alberta in effect). Anyhow its like a self oscilating fuzz thing, you hit a note and it sustains for ever and then you just play the knobs. anyhow he loves it so much he had it mounted into his jazzmaster's pickguard. craziness. i was fucking around with it last week on a track and shit was straight up it hit this one note that was so pearcing it blew out the studios Dynaudio monitors.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i need to buy a wahwah pedal baad, but they arent that expensive are they?

i think a crybaby is like 60 bones. and you can customise them pretty easily. ive had mine since i was 15.. thanks grandma!

• dude i need a fucking dulcimer.

• Yeah I want one too. The effects box that I have just has a knob, which is kind of weak. I don't know how much the pedals go for, especially in your part of the world.....

Me and Iron Monkey were playing with a dulcimer last time he was here.

My dad had a dulcimer. He almost learned a whole line from a whole song on it. I remember he always wanted to learn to play Jesu Joy of Mans Desire on it. I dont even know what that song it.

That thing is collecting dust somewhere now.

i need to resurect my woodshopped lapsteel. those are crazy fun in a hashed out sub ry cooder kinda way.

a few months ago, i bought an optigan, got it cleaned, and now i just spend my nights gently stroking it. mucho AYO. as far as playing it, i suck, but my girlfriend (who's in a band and supermusical) can make it do the dishes.

There is an optigan band out here called Opticanally Yours. Those things have breaks on the tapes too! I heard them, and they are actually pretty rico boner!
    yeah it's fresh. mine came with 7 discs, but there are some super obscure ones that seem to fall out of my ebay grasp. as far as wah-wahs go, i had a crybaby that sounded like shit (dirty pots) after a short while. i then bought a $100 vox that's butter. you get what you pay for, after all (ask marcofunk).

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    man, im looking at this drumset next to me, guitar and bass to the left, mpc right here, turntables behind me, and im like, shit, i got too much! i dont even need to think about learning new stuff, i need to get better at what i got already, you know?

but for real, i have been enjoying mic'ing up this fender amp my buddy has, as well as getting a DI signal, then mixing the two guitar tracks together in weird ways. kind of a standar techinique really, but its good to mess with some basics for a while every now and then.

i am a little daunted by tone generators in that i like messing with them, but am not exactly sure what i am doing so much. i need to read the manual on this fantom. the shit is badass, but its so freakin deep with manipulation its a little crazy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've read that Hasil Adkins (the late rockabilly wildman) once used a jukebox for an amp. Been wanting to try that ever since. Especially if it's one of those tombstone-shaped Wurlitzers with the neon lights.

TV's as amps can make some nice noises too.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    dude i need a fucking dulcimer.

thats funny cuz i was actually thinking about a hammered dulcimer before i posted, but ending up not talking about that.

those shits are crazy.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

speakers as microphones

thats funny cuz i was actually thinking about a hammered dulcimer before i posted, but ending up not talking about that.

those shits are crazy.

You could turn a renaissance party out with that shit. 2 dulcimers and a mixer. have girls flashing their titties and showing their knickers.

crybaby wah's are a tricky beast. for like $15 and a trip to the electronics wholesaler you can swap out a resister or too and get a totally differant tone. also pop out the switch and put in a true bypass.

its also pretty simple to disconect the mechanism and roll the pot backwards or forwards to get a differant sweep range.

keep em well oiled.. mine was squeekin like a lil pig for a while there.

speakers as microphones

i hear an ns10 makes a great kickdrum mic.. never tried this me self though.

...also, i had (was given) a mint fender rhodes seventy-three which i foolishly sold to purchase an engagement ring. chick flew the coop, and now there's a dusty spot where my [sniffles] rhodes [sniffles/] was.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    dude i need a fucking dulcimer.

those shits are crazy.

You could turn a renaissance party out with that shit. 2 dulcimers and a mixer. have girls flashing their titties and showing their knickers.

would they do the rain dance too? is that where they do that shit? naked rain dance, yeah.

• TV's as amps can make some nice noises too.

speakers as microphones

I've heard of this, but I don't know how to do it.

One of these days I"m gonna blast a fart into the mic, then roll off everything but the bass and use that shit as a kick drum. And then people will be like "where did you get that sick kick drum from" and i'll be all like "oh that? I just pulled it outta my ass".

there's a new steve kotey 12" on bear funk - The Buttocks

i think he may have beat you to it man.

One of these days I"m gonna blast a fart into the mic
    lemme know before i beatbox on there, okay?

• meshmesh 925 Posts

speakers as microphones

i turned a peavey amp into a microphone once and it was kinda cool. nothing really usable came out of that recording, but it was neat nonetheless. i bet an ns10 would make a good kick drum mic. i heard PZM mics give a nice snap to the kick.

• one blunted ass night, i hooked up my '73 wurlitzer to my wah pedal and my Danelectro sitar swami pedal and started messing around with it for hours. I went ahead and pressed record and let it record for about an hour or so. So many great ideas came from that session. Dope sound too! I'll try to find a snipet of this to post.

here it is, just a sample for y'all.

Bow Wow Session

wild shit.

psych heads look out.

• There is the Korean stringed instrument called the Kayagum. I have a couple CDs of that stuff that I got while I was over there and its pretty cool shit. Really nice. Its all twangy like chinese resturant music, of course, but its really cool.

Anyways, I'm kinda wondering now what it would sound like to sample some of that and run it through some fuzz and wah wah and shit. would it sound cool? or would it sound like crap? They way I hear it in my head it could go either way.

Its like, I dont' even really want to try and make a "song" out of it or anything, I just want to do it just because.

Add on with some 'other' shit that you've tried.....

I just had a recording session with a koto player last week for a dance project I'm working on - that shit was doooope.

and also done all the requisite pedals with scratching maneuvers - wah wah, delay and flange/phaser having the nicest results.