June Finds

Comments

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    behemoth said:
    today i went on my first house call since moving. i walked in and this older woman was sitting down slowly pulling 45s out of a box. we spoke for a half hour. she told me how her husband died as they were dancing to an Ann Peebles record. then a few years later she fell out of her chair and broke her legs. both of them. she had metal rods holding them up. i didn't find any records. against my request she went into her garage and tried to pull some more 45s out of a box and i hear her yell. she fell and i had to go help her up. after i heard he yell for me i dropped the records so quick it was insane. i bought a William Bell LP off her as it was the only thing semi worth grabbing. it was super hot and she had no AC or fan. i left and told her i would be right back. i drove down the street and found a junk shop (no records) and bought her one of those loud industrial looking fans. i brought it back to her and she almost cried. then she said "oh before i forget i found another record" and hands me this. she said "this is for the fan"

not my picture

This is my new religion. Thanks for the beautiful story.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    behemoth said:
    today i went on my first house call since moving. i walked in and this older woman was sitting down slowly pulling 45s out of a box. we spoke for a half hour. she told me how her husband died as they were dancing to an Ann Peebles record. then a few years later she fell out of her chair and broke her legs. both of them. she had metal rods holding them up. i didn't find any records. against my request she went into her garage and tried to pull some more 45s out of a box and i hear her yell. she fell and i had to go help her up. after i heard he yell for me i dropped the records so quick it was insane. i bought a William Bell LP off her as it was the only thing semi worth grabbing. it was super hot and she had no AC or fan. i left and told her i would be right back. i drove down the street and found a junk shop (no records) and bought her one of those loud industrial looking fans. i brought it back to her and she almost cried. then she said "oh before i forget i found another record" and hands me this. she said "this is for the fan"

not my picture

this belongs in the "post a digging story" thread! thats real sweet of you. too bad im not familiar with that record so maybe this story is even better.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    ako said:
    behemoth said:

not my picture

this belongs in the "post a digging story" thread! thats real sweet of you. too bad im not familiar with that record so maybe this story is even better.

well that's the thing. i didn't know what it was either. i don't think she did either. she just found it. i just took it as a "thank you". got home. listened to it. it's pretty good. looked it up and saw that it's a pretty rare gospel 45. $250-$500. but yea i didn't even know what it was. just luck i guess.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Welcome to Big D.....nice move.

Rockadelic said:
    Welcome to Big D.....nice move.

thanks. i like it here. minus a small technical apartment issue we off to a great start.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    top off your good deed. sell it and give her the cash!

• leonleon 883 Posts

The ones in the middle: Namistowski goes funky LP. Actually more fusion with some funky moments.
    Malon is a nice funky latin LP with some rock influences. Pretty obscure but well produced.
    The Robin Kenyatta is one of the nicer ECM albums IMO.
    Finally found the SOUL lp in minty condition for a good price, $75.

Another find i'm very pleased with, albeit not a record:

Never worn NOS 1983(?) Adidas Top Ten Hi-tops in original box!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ^^^^
    great finds on both counts

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    ako said:
    top off your good deed. sell it and give her the cash!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Another great field find. I never dreamed I'd find this here in B-More.

a big shout out to the Strutter that made today's finds possible (most of them anyway)

unfortunately Jed has a effin piece missing :(

plus a lot of random rap titles and a few 45s. i can't find my camera and my iPhone just isn't cutting it. sorry

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just spent the afternoon in Little Rock, AR and came away with these

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thats the jbs to get...slightly different but :necessary:

• Leon, those top tens are the shit.......

Aplus

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    pcmr said:
    2 long time came tnrough the mail

I love Brooklyn Sounds and this LP is the cornerstone of my weak latin collection. I found little info about it online since i found it but thankfully someone posted some of the tracks on the tube! This is my favorite off the LP...

Brooklyn Sounds Banger

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Breez said:

Dope!!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    What's the story on that Willie Rodriguez 45 Rey? Never heard of the label.

Garcia_Vega said:
    They're both album cuts from this live club recording: http://reynaldo82.com/extras/willie-rodriquez-swings-man.html

More info:

(Ian Morrison) Is the LP 'At the Happening' the same as the Live LP that came out on Man Records?

(Willie Rodriguez) No, No the Man Records is different, let me tell you how that album came to be. I was working at this nightclub, and this record company came over to talk to me, they wanted to record a group. The deal they were offering to me it was not a good deal at all. And I told the people I could record my own band anytime I wanted to. So the following day after we finished playing that night I think we did two jobs and finished at about 3 o'clock in the morning, the following Sunday we were playing at another club and recorded the LP.

(IM) Were you pleased with it?

(WR) Yes, but I wish we had done it at a studio because the group that I had at the time was very very tight and really sharp, my groups were always sharp, but that particular group was very sharp and not having a professional studio to do it didn't do much justice to the music. I was pleased with it and the album sold quite a bit.

http://www.passiondiscs.co.uk/articles/willie_rodriguez.htm

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Breez said:

weird, i found a copy of syl johnson "is it because i'm black" in baltimore yesterday.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Found these at a big yard sale yesterday some were under a dollar, some $5. Not bad
    Attached files

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    They're both album cuts from this live club recording: http://reynaldo82.com/extras/willie-rodriquez-swings-man.html

More info:

(Ian Morrison) Is the LP 'At the Happening' the same as the Live LP that came out on Man Records?

(Willie Rodriguez) No, No the Man Records is different, let me tell you how that album came to be. I was working at this nightclub, and this record company came over to talk to me, they wanted to record a group. The deal they were offering to me it was not a good deal at all. And I told the people I could record my own band anytime I wanted to. So the following day after we finished playing that night I think we did two jobs and finished at about 3 o'clock in the morning, the following Sunday we were playing at another club and recorded the LP.

(IM) Were you pleased with it?

(WR) Yes, but I wish we had done it at a studio because the group that I had at the time was very very tight and really sharp, my groups were always sharp, but that particular group was very sharp and not having a professional studio to do it didn't do much justice to the music. I was pleased with it and the album sold quite a bit.

http://www.passiondiscs.co.uk/articles/willie_rodriguez.htm

Oh snap! I actually do know that record, but had never seen the label or logo. And coincidentaly I'm taking a little trip to Cabo Rojo next week. Anything else on that label?
    That song is a classic too, love the Eddie Palmieri versoin.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Housecall through Craigslist.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    Just spent the afternoon in Little Rock, AR and came away with these

on the cheap??

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Housecall through Craigslist.