OVER RATED RECORDS!!!

Comments

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    neil_something said:
    pcmr said:

I love this song...until the funky breakdown that goes along too long

love this song also, but the bass line always reminds me of the temptations "masterpiece"...

the bass line is also reminiscent of fighting for life from the feelings record. hey Jamal, i think this is what you might have been thinking of as far as the tune that madlib used(for earthquake).

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Power Of Zeus. Terrible music to my ears, decent break that has been bettered many times for less hype.

I understand why this is rare. I don't understand the fetish price tag.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Power Of Zeus. Terrible music to my ears, decent break that has been bettered many times for less hype.

I understand why this is rare. I don't understand the fetish price tag.

sorceror of isis is a wicked track if you ask me, i enjoy the heavy rock sound of the album. its mostly hype cause of the break tho, agreed. if we're taking it there then the music between the breaks on Titanic is pretty awful to my ears, probably worse than zeus.

really don't think james mason is overrated, maybe a wee-bit overpriced, but sweet power is a tune and then some, it might be a one tracker in some ways but its one of the best one tracks of all time for me.

I think miles davis is overrated, big time.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    if we're taking it there then the music between the breaks on Titanic is pretty awful to my ears, probably worse than zeus.

Mmm, it's a tough call. I quite like the last track on the Titanic - it's like a rip-off of Whiter Shade of Pale or whatever it's called. J.Rocc did some nice doubles action with it on the 'secret' section of Syndromes 2.

But Titanic has 3 decent breaks on it. POZ has 1, and it's more expensive. :::I sound poor:::

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts

I think it's decent jazz-funk album but i never understand all the hype around these albums. Many european dealers have told be that in the 80's they used to sold them for 10 Euros and nobody cared. Time have changed.

For me the real heat is on the Kiosk "mona call".

Don't agree on the James Mason. This Lp has a kind of unique vibe and "good thing is such an incredible track.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Power Of Zeus' sole LP has a few passable tracks, but is hardly a Top Ten desert island disc (the breakbeat is none of my concern, don't really care about that).

• vinegar said:

Many european dealers have told be that in the 80's they used to sold them for 10 Euros and nobody cared.
    Times have changed."

What are the chances times will change again?, back to when this record was 10 Euros and nobody cared

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    breaks are overrated in general. i can see why people fetishize them ??? hell i used to. but i don't see any point in owning a record if for the only reason that there's 10 seconds of open drums. i purged all of these records a long time ago, including titanic. power of zeus imo is still decent hard rock.

img src="AWFUL LOOKING ALBUM COVER BY THE BAND "PLACEBO" THAT I REFUSE TO REPRINT HERE" alt="" />

Many european dealers have told be that in the 80's they used to sold them for 10 Euros and nobody cared.
    Times have changed."

What are the chances times will change again?, back to when this record was 10 Euros and nobody cared

As ugly as their album covers were, no wonder people didn't care about that band.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    vinegar said:

I think it's decent jazz-funk album but i never understand all the hype around these albums. Many european dealers have told be that in the 80's they used to sold them for 10 Euros and nobody cared. Time have changed.

Don't agree on the James Mason. This Lp has a kind of unique vibe and "good thing is such an incredible track.

there was a video on soulstrut about a record collecting rap producer. he pulled out his Ball of Eyes LP copy and said something like: placebo sounds like wheather report. then he put his chubby fingers on the midi keyboard... quite funny! weird people!!!

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

really don't think james mason is overrated, maybe a wee-bit overpriced, but sweet power is a tune and then some, it might be a one tracker in some ways but its one of the best one tracks of all time for me.

the James Mason LP is NOT a one tracker. It's one of the few LPs that truly lives up to the hype

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    I think miles davis is overrated, big time.

is that even possible when you are one of the greatest to ever do it?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Grope said:
    there was a video on soulstrut about a record collecting rap producer. he pulled out his Ball of Eyes LP copy and said something like: placebo sounds like wheather report. then he put his chubby fingers on the midi keyboard... quite funny! weird people!!!

That was Jake One.
    IIRC he was talking about rare records not necessarily being the ones you listen to the most.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    vinegar said:

Dude, All records sold for 10$ back then.

But then again:

• unityunity 179 Posts

never rode very hard for this record and its massive pricetag

• pickwick33 said:
    img src="AWFUL LOOKING ALBUM COVER BY THE BAND "PLACEBO" THAT I REFUSE TO REPRINT HERE" alt="" />

Times have changed."

As ugly as their album covers were, no wonder people didn't care about that band.
    I actually really like the ball of eyes cover, always thought it was well done. I can't really say the same for the other two (though I wouldn't call them awful, more like mediocre.)

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    hey, dude was joking, those covers are fire, all three!!!!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    unity said:
    never rode very hard for this record and its massive pricetag

if you aren't feeling this track you'd better check your pulse bud! expensive, sure, but that's a stone cold jam.

upskiboo said:
    hey, dude was joking

????

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Little Willie John "I'm shakin" not a bad track, it is a good 'un, but dudes droppin' 60-80 bucks on it is crazy to me. For one I'm sure it is DJs buying it but it is an extremely undanceable song...also there are lots of better Little Willie John 45s for much less.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Little Willie John "I'm shakin" not a bad track, it is a good 'un, but dudes droppin' 60-80 bucks on it is crazy to me. For one I'm sure it is DJs buying it but it is an extremely undanceable song...also there are lots of better Little Willie John 45s for much less.

Great track! And catchy as hell. But yeah, I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to dance to it. Have you heard the LP version of it that's a different mix?

high_c said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Great track! And catchy as hell. But yeah, I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to dance to it. Have you heard the LP version of it that's a different mix?

yeah...that other version is also on 45 i'm told...can't remember if it has a different b-side or if it is a crap shoot on what version you get.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    vinegar said:

that is the real schitt. someone's recently made a bootleg 7" with some kiosk music from an advertisement they did on it, i don't think its ever been released before (just repeating what i was told about it). worth seeking out. just says "kiosk" on it

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    vinegar said:

that is the real schitt. someone's recently made a bootleg 7" with some kiosk music from an advertisement they did on it, i don't think its ever been released before (just repeating what i was told about it). worth seeking out. just says "kiosk" on it

Is this the thing Skel has an og of?

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    yeah that is the one i was talking about.
    To me "Mona call" is the track.
    To make my point clear, i'm not hating on the 3 Placebo Lps, some compositions are really great but i don't like the sound. (this same remark applies for the Marc moulin sam suffy".
    The sound is not deep enough and from that point of view i understand the comparaison with Weather report. It's a kind of "cheesy" sound.
    The Kiosk 7' has a deeper and warmer sound (even if i only own the bootleg).

• vinegar said:
    To make my point clear, i'm not hating on the 3 Placebo Lps, some compositions are really great but i don't like the sound.

really? to my ears the sound on the kiosk thing is pretty similar to the sound on some of the placebo records... they just seem like uptempo placebo tracks to me, and probably wouldn't sound out of place on their later LP.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    high_c said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Damn, serious? I have played 'I'm Shakin' multiple times to dancing crowds and I love the hell out of it

b/w

please to recommend some other 'better' LWJ 45s too while we're here since I had a guy tell me recently that this was by far his best tune!

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    I was playing "I'm Shakin" in the lounge room one day when my 12 year old son (who I think has a great ear) ran through the house with one of his mates. when he got to the front door he turned around and came back and asked what the track was - "this is good" he told me (mind you, he didn't start cuttin' the rug - but I would dance to that tune any day). It's lucky we don't all jones for the same records, or we might be paying $100 for Average White Band LP's (for example)

Kinetic said:
    high_c said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Damn, serious? I have played 'I'm Shakin' multiple times to dancing crowds and I love the hell out of it

b/w

please to recommend some other 'better' LWJ 45s too while we're here since I had a guy tell me recently that this was by far his best tune!

I like these more, and have had good responses playing them out (and they are all cheap)

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    neil_something said:
    vinegar said:
    To make my point clear, i'm not hating on the 3 Placebo Lps, some compositions are really great but i don't like the sound.

really? to my ears the sound on the kiosk thing is pretty similar to the sound on some of the placebo records... they just seem like uptempo placebo tracks to me, and probably wouldn't sound out of place on their later LP.

The Kiosk tracks ARE placebo tracks (B-side is alternate version of Dag Madam Merci) and I don't really understand why you think there's a difference in sound? Those tracks sound exactly like the albums, which in my opinion are absolutely not overrated, it's some of the best music I've heard in my life. The sound is so warm and deep, I don't know of any other music that sounds so organic.

I also remember the video with the guy saying that Placebo is not any better than Weather Report, but I find this really strange; I've had a few WR albums in the past, but never enjoyed any single one of them and sold them all. I did buy the Placebo compilation although I hardly buy reissues.

An older collector that I know bought the placebo album back when it came out in the seventies, and everybody at the time thought it was just a bad rip-off of Weather Report and such, but once again I think it's strange to compare these two. I mean, I understand that both fused jazz with rock and soul, but the way they do it and the result is something completely different imo.