OVER RATED RECORDS!!!

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    gaz said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    On pure musical merit, I wouldn't buy this record for a dollar.

seconded , bought and sold the reissue quickly

Thirded. There's got to be dozens of Prestige soul jazz records you can buy for $8 or so that blow this out of the water.

Can't agree with the Verocai (though I knew somebody would drop that here). Of course it's not worth the 5K that Spelunk got for it, but it's a testimony to it's greatness that that auction didn't shake any copies loose on the 'bay.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    gaz said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    On pure musical merit, I wouldn't buy this record for a dollar.

seconded , bought and sold the reissue quickly

Thirded. There's got to be dozens of Prestige soul jazz records you can buy for $8 or so that blow this out of the water.

Can't agree with the Verocai (though I knew somebody would drop that here). Of course it's not worth the 5K that Spelunk got for it, but it's a testimony to it's greatness that that auction didn't shake any copies loose on the 'bay.
    It's the sub standard singing that get 's me on the Verocai which is a shame cos the material is very strong.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Billy brooks- windows Of the mind
    Les demerle- spectrum
    John klemmer -blowing gold turds

Btw if anyone would like to trade me a copy of their soul what it is, i got both that tom scott and rass joint???

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    pcmr said:
    high_c said:
    RAJ said:
    Anything bid up by Marcofunk

Is he even still active? throwback bidder.

and oh... I found this yesterday at halfprice books. what's all the fuss about?

I love this song...until the funky breakdown that goes along too long

wow .. diggin this track, smelled samples.. though madlib and consorts already got to it..
    how are the other titles ? imma check them out.

Johnny harris movements is dope in my opinion..

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    ^ i thought that he'd just fucked with the pitch on "fighting for life" from the feelings library.
    Jamal are you talking about the song earthquake?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

its a good (1 side) record, but not worth the 3-400 i have seen it go for

this is a great record, but i just dont see why it goes for the money it does

another good record, but again i think over hyped and priced

*disclaimer, with the exception of 100% pure poison I think all of the other records are great records, I just think for various reasons the price to value ratio is completely out of proportion

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    East of Underground is the most overrated terd in existence. average cover versions of average songs

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    bigchalz said:
    ^ i thought that he'd just fucked with the pitch on "fighting for life" from the feelings library.
    Jamal are you talking about the song earthquake?

earthquake? no comprendo senor

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

Nice record but I agree. There are plenty of cheaper Brazilian records I enjoy as much or more.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    the_dL said:

another good record, but again i think over hyped and priced

*disclaimer, I think all of the other records are great records, I just think for various reasons the price to value ratio is completely out of proportion

If you think they are great records then they can't really be that over rated, if atall. If the thread was about highly priced LPs not justifying the cost then you could just run a list of every 100$ + LP, good or bad muscially, on the basis that NO music is worth that much. If there was one LP that I never expected to be on this thread then it 's the James Mason one which, cost aside, IMO derserves its revered reputation in every sense.

Never understood the fuss about this LP. Much prefer Invitation to Openess

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I love that Layers LP, but I like all McCann's stuff from that period. But Overrated doesn't mean bad I guess. Records that have been mentioned that I don't consider overrated: 24 carat black, Weldon Irvine, Johnny Harris: Movements.
    Records that I consider overrated:
    Kashmere Stage Band LP's, all OG's I've owned I've been happy to sell and the re-ish's I bought BITD are never listened to. Give me a greatest hits.
    On the stageband tip : that Black Out lp going for 5000$ is tweeked.
    Wally Richardson's Soul Guru: great cover, a good track, but Grant Green slays him.
    Rhythm Machine : re-ish gives me the track minus the hype.
    Almost all island funk records

Ditto on the E of U being overrated, cosign on the Copeland Davis and Rass ( though whenever I listen to this record I gain periodic glimpses of greatness and I don't think I'll be able to sell it.) The Penny Goodwin I bought directly from Ray Tabs a few years ago (Keyboardist and arranger/composer on the album). Super nice forthcoming dude who talked about handmaking all the sleeves and playing with the band 3 nights a week in clubs. He also said Penny quit music and is now a schoolteacher. Anyway, despite the personal nature of the connection I had w/ the LP because of how I came by it, I ended up selling it and grabbing the re-ish for the track.

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

I don't know about this one. The more I listen to it, the more I absolutely can't get enough of it. Not overrated IMHO, 5K was just an ebay bidding war. Even the off pitch vocals give it a certain patina.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

I respectfully totally disagree.

And submit this:

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    Got to be Overton Berry TOBE. Dadjazz plus a little mom. I had two copies that I found in a antique store for under $10. Quickly parted with them.
    Attached files

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

• Options
    pickwick33 said:

Nah. Seems underrated to me. It's not like it sells for huge bucks and it's a great guitar album.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    some of you are cold buggin!!!

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Seems like a real personal matter. After looking for the Larry Nozero record for years it gives me that happy feeling I can finally cop it, no matter the price. As I put in on my turntable & notice only 1 good tune, who cares? My quest is over & I'm thinking about the next one :"What next record is worth a 100 buck (or more) to me?". As I tell someone in advance that would be the Thesda lp for 250 dollars they could agree with me or not. In the end we're all hunters in this wonderful world of diggin'? Some spending more, some spending less but the enjoyment stays the same...Great thread though

• pcmr said:

I love this song...until the funky breakdown that goes along too long

love this song also, but the bass line always reminds me of the temptations "masterpiece"...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Seriously. I don't condone spending money on sub-par jazz funk or modern soul but Stark Reality, Arthur Verocai and East of Underground are mindblowing records.

I mean, there's a world of difference between albums like those and stuff like this:

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    Possum Tom said:

Seriously. I don't condone spending money on sub-par jazz funk or modern soul but Stark Reality, Arthur Verocai and East of Underground are mindblowing records.

I mean, there's a world of difference between albums like those and stuff like this:

two headed freap is a great album, I thinks as a record, it is slightly under rated, the playing is nice, the song selection is strong and consistent throughout, I do think the market rate is slightly higher than it is really worth though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    does "Layers" ever actually sell for more than $10?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

thats $9 above what i would pay for it.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    often

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    This is the definition of overrated/valued. So tepid.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    A good record can be overrated

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    If the price vs. the quality of music is the determining factor for whether something is overvalued or not then why pay more money for an OG once a disc has been re-issued? There aren't really any records that are over or under-valued at all or else they wouldn't cost as much as they do, cheap or expensive. Case in point: spend $2-300 on the 80's re-ish of Feelings or wait until the next re-ish and pay $20, and once that happens what happens to the value of the previous issue itself not being an OG?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    There aren't really any records that are over or under-valued at all or else they wouldn't cost as much as they do, cheap or expensive.

Well, you're assuming the market is a perfect mechanism free from trends and misperceptions , which it most assuredly is not.

It's the prevailing reality, but that's a different subject.