What needs to be re-issued?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

...plus anything else by this Chicago blues singer.
    has anyone done a Four Brothers label comp? That could be a strong listen judging by the 45s I have.

double post

• pickwick33 said:

...plus anything else by this Chicago blues singer.

There is someone you know ,pickwick , who came into the shop one day...he DJs and he asked me if we had anything that was like "shotgun". So I immediately went and pulled a copy of GL's "watch my .32" for him. He listened to it and said..."no, that is not what I'm looking for, you know like the jr. Walker tune" I had no idea what he wanted. It was kind of funny seeing how the track is an answer song to shotgun.

Thought you would get a kick out of that story.

• I want to see some Japanese rock reissues:
    Blues Creation " demon and 11 children"
    Strawberry Window
    JA Caesar
    Apryl Fool

For starters

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    serge-cannabis
    kusini ost
    minority band
    jimmy jules
    phirpo caribes
    rabbits for carrots
    discovery club
    angela simpson
    disco godfather
    brief encounter
    roy porter lps
    tribe label
    another run of ball of eyes and ther other placebo lps
    wooden glass
    steamheat
    and sun ra's catalouge [kidding ;-)

send jazzman this list ,???.i'm sure he is already working on half of it
    fuck a scorpio

• pickwick33 said:

Tricky Zingers, an early seventies album by Creme Soda which (from all reports) sounds like a straight throwback to 60s garage and frat rock.

Been trying to track down the band members for a possible reisssue on the label I work for. It has been impossible. If anyone got any info, please let me know.

Black Jazz.......

• kala said:

serge-cannabis
    rabbits for carrots
    wooden glass

These were all done in the last couple of years.

I was working with somebody on Phirpo, but might have hit a dead end.

The Ghetto Brothers is coming soon (allegedly), but I fear it will be poor quality.

• leon said:
    Whaddup with Brazil records? I see some releases now and then (like WhatMusic), but nothing like f.i. the amount of African records/comps. Can anybody shed a light on why this isn't happening (yet)?
    That's a really good question.
    All the Gerson King stuff in proper heavy vinyl would be awesome!

ahh, and why not the 1979 Father's Children? this may be a recent fever I caught from Numero..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    The un-reissued lps I get asked for most is Sylvers I & II.

Assuming they have not been reissued.

I would like a proper deluxe box like the Syl Johnson vinyl/cd/booklet package.

Wonder if Pride,Capitol,Casablanca, Geffen and Solar could make this happen.

include both Fosters joints, And Edmonds solo joint.......i wish.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    KatS said:
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

include both Fosters joints, And Edmunds solo joint.......i wish.
    LaserWolf,yes they are wanted! Only 3 of 17 Sylvers albums(including solo works) are on CD. Insane! Everything is with Universal & Capitol/EMI. We are working on getting them to release this stuff with this petition! These companies generally don't really seem to release old soul music b/c of money fears...unless its a name like Aretha,James or Marvin. Many other great artists are getting ignored. Its very unfortunate!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/thesylvers/

KatS we are all with you.

Batmon thinks you are a member of the Sylvers family. True?

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Lloyd McNeill Washington Suite is out now on souljazz. finally. just picked it up today, but i wish they would sort their design and packaging.

Archie Whitewater is supposed to be coming out soon, i don't know what label though...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    KatS said:
    LaserWolf said:
    KatS said:
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

include both Fosters joints, And Edmunds solo joint.......i wish.
    LaserWolf,yes they are wanted! Only 3 of 17 Sylvers albums(including solo works) are on CD. Insane! Everything is with Universal & Capitol/EMI. We are working on getting them to release this stuff with this petition! These companies generally don't really seem to release old soul music b/c of money fears...unless its a name like Aretha,James or Marvin. Many other great artists are getting ignored. Its very unfortunate!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/thesylvers/

KatS we are all with you.

Batmon thinks you are a member of the Sylvers family. True?
    Thanks,guys! I'm all about getting great soul acts their due. BTW,thats really funny...he never asked me that haha. Anyhow I'm not but I can tell you that they are very nice. I'm just a big fan of them.

No :hayek:

• What the world needs now is a good Rosey Grier compilation.

I am as serious as your life.

And yes, I'd include "It's All Right To Cry" (from the Free To Be...You & Me soundtrack album) as well.

• batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

include both Fosters joints, And Edmonds solo joint.......i wish.

I admit, I would like a separate Sylvers reissue of their MGM/Pride sides (including Foster Sylvers). But that's because of my bias against disco and modern soul; I know good and well that if I were to buy a complete Sylvers box, the later recordings from 1975 onward wouldn't get much mileage from me. But, that's just my own greed.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I want Relatively Clean Rivers and Brazda Brothers on vinyl. I understand the latter was done by Void, but can't find any more info on it? If so, it must have been extremely limited...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There was a (supposedly crap sounding) boot of Relatively Clean Rivers a few years back but even it's now like 75-100 bucks.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Menelik Wossenachew - Mekaberene Liyew. Sick. Fender rhodes, spiritual Ethio jazz 45. Paging Frank/Horseleech!

• jo??o do vale "o poeta do povo" - one of the best brasilian albums i have ever heard...

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    on a vaguely related note,

http://www.beatdelete.com/

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    Dante said:
    Nothing, people should just keep diggin' and finding new gems...

Do you own any reissues?

I tend to agree with you. It has fucked up the value of some originals.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Dante said:
    Nothing, people should just keep diggin' and finding new gems...

Does one record being reissued somehow prevent people from discovering other ones? Don't understand the logic here.

Or is it bad that the artists get paid (often for the first time ever) for work they did many years ago?

And, as in the case of several Ethiopian musicians, have their career revived so they can make a living playing music again?

Sorry, but even if I didn't reissue the occasional record myself, I would find this a ridiculous attitude.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Leech,
    can we expect the Freedom Family sometime or did that get shelved? If so too bad, in my books it's one of the top funk LP's of all time.

LoopDreams said:
    Leech,
    can we expect the Freedom Family sometime or did that get shelved? If so too bad, in my books it's one of the top funk LP's of all time.

I totally agree, an amazing record front to back.

Definitely not shelved - it's literally being printed right now and will have an 8 page book of extremely entertaining liner notes by the singer Albert Jones. It's no accident that they were so tight, they were an incredibly seasoned band by the time they cut that record and their experiences are a real insight into the music scene of the time.

I know I've announced this before, only to have delays, so here's a picture of some proofs as, you know, proof:

• Leech, what is your label if I may ask?

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Does anyone know why the Sweet Charles album has never been reissued on CD?
    Already during the days of the James Brown revival this surprised me. I mean: not even in Japan?!?! More than 20 years later this baffles me for mere commercial reasons.
    (Without suggesting that this is mega rare or anything...)

VeryGoodPlusPlus said:
    Leech, what is your label if I may ask?

Academy Lps

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    I want Relatively Clean Rivers and Brazda Brothers on vinyl. I understand the latter was done by Void, but can't find any more info on it? If so, it must have been extremely limited...
    So this thread popped up again. A rather-weak sounding Brazda Brothers reissue is now in my possession, but damn, I still want that RCR.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Pundit said:
    on a vaguely related note,

http://www.beatdelete.com/

Interesting idea.

I just received an eMail from Mr. Bongo with a link to that website. Obviously they are trying to stir up some interest in their own titles and some previously released re-releases to be considered for re-re-release...:

Various Artists - Tudo Ben: Jorge Ben Covered 3xLP
    Never previously released on vinyl. Read more and listen here

Lula Cortes & Laison - Satwa LP
    Legendary Brazilian psyche rock LP, now out of print. Read more and listen here

Various Artists - Batucada: The Sound Of The Favelas
    Long out of print compilation featuring heavy Brazilian Batucada drums. Listen here.

Various Artists - Psychedelic Pernambuco
    Originally released in 2012 now out of print. Read more and listen here

They even have a Product suggestion page:
    http://www.beatdelete.com/help/122-can't-find-what-your-looking-for?

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Stanton Davis Ghetto Mysticism - Brighter Days